Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats wrong with eclipse?

Options
  • 10-01-2006 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

I am trying to start using eclipse to write software for college, instead of JCreator and i have him my first problem which is driving me mad.

If i compile a piece of code i get the following errors using eclipse:
    Severity Description Resource In Folder Location Creation Time
    2 Syntax error on token "preOrderPrint", Identifier expected after this token BST.java BST line 21 10 January 2006 16:24:47
    2 Syntax error on token "inOrderPrint", Identifier expected after this token BST.java BST line 22 10 January 2006 16:24:47
    2 Syntax error on token "message", Identifier expected after this token BST.java BST line 23 10 January 2006 16:24:47
    2 Syntax error on token "postOrderPrint", Identifier expected after this token BST.java BST line 24 10 January 2006 16:24:47

I fixed these errors and recompiled about 10 times with the same errors then if i compile it with JCreator it works fine with no errors, ahh its really anoying me. Also the second last errors is referring to a line that i have deleted and it keeps giving an error with the line that doesnt exist.Does anyone else get these problems with eclipse?

The code is attached, but it is just a work in progress.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Loaded it into Eclipse 3.1.1

No errors and the output is as follows.

If I was to take a guess maybe you have the wrong JVM installed? Using 1.4.2 there. But I have seen compiler errors one 1.5 on some of my stuff.

[edit] Tested yours on 1.5 and works the same. so its not that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Try right-clicking on your Java project and clicking "Refresh" just in case Eclipse is getting confused about external edits to your code. Failing that, try deleting your workspace then re-importing your code. Another thing you can try is starting Eclipse with the "-clean" option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

It worked fine when i reimported it, which is a pain because in the time it took to mess around with eclipise i have it written with JCreator.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Another guess of what you probably did.

Created a Project and not a Java Project and then imported the files. It is the only way I can get your code to fail.

Either that or you were editing the files outside of Eclipse and didn't refresh the project (as mentioned) or you have it set not to rebuild each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

irishguy wrote:
    It worked fine when i reimported it, which is a pain because in the time it took to mess around with eclipise i have it written with JCreator.

If you want to learn Eclipse, learn it. If you don't, don't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement