Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what's the hell is the difference (LCD)

Options
  • 10-01-2006 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭

I really need help on this one, I am going to be buying a 40" LCD screen and have have put the Bravia screens from sony as my favourites.

the only issue is, I haven't a clue whate the difference is between the KDLS40A12U and the KDLV40A12 except for the looks and a whopping 1000 Euros difference.

coudl anybody help me out, I have been browsing the web for two days and haven't found anything what would explain this difference between them

would also like to know other peoples oppinions or recommendations for LCD screens of this size. Am willing to go up to roughly 3500 EUro for it

cheers

Gilga

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Gilgamesh wrote:
    ...the only issue is, I haven't a clue whate the difference is between the KDLS40A12U and the KDLV40A12 except for the looks and a whopping 1000 Euros difference....

Hi, I asked the same question in my local Sony store and the "helpful" sales assistant just told me that essentially they were the same but the components used in the V model (the nice black ones) is of a higher quality than the ones on the S models (the not as nice silver ones). Such a shame because the Black one is much nicer looking than the Silver one. I'd wager that is part of the €1000 premium too though.

A friend of mine is buying the V series 40" soonish and I have invited myself around to have a go of the 360 on it :)

Price wise, I believe the Sony Centers have the best value for all models. Certainly for the 26" models which I was looking at especially after taking shipping into account.

Personally I was turned away from them because of the location of the inputs on the side (well on the 26" versions anyway). That and the basic "Sony" price tag....

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

thanks for that info nereid, helps a lot.
    but as imho a connection is a connection, I don't really care if they are better on the more expensive model, I was just wondering if the specs were different, but from what I saw they weren't.
    I know the blck is very nice, but I am fortunate enough to have Silver going in my home layout.

do you know how much they are going for in the sony stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Sony BRAVIA LCD TV – Slim and compact

Sony BRAVIA LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) televisions combine slim, flat-screen design with outstanding picture quality. But what makes a BRAVIA LCD set so special? It’s high-resolution image processors ensure that our entire range of BRAVIA LCD TVs match the clarity and the brightness of the very best Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) sets, but without the bulk – an LCD TV can be twice as slim as an equivalent CRT set. What’s more, most of our LCD models are digital switchover compliant with integrated FREEVIEW tuners and also meet the High Definition of ‘HD’ ready standard (in fact, you can watch High Definition TV from 26 inch and above). There are three LCD series to choose from: the big-screen W series, the mid-sized V Series and the flexible S Series.

‘S’ Series BRAVIA LCD. Flexibility Flat

Sony’s flat-panel ‘S’ Series BRAVIA LCD range is designed to be especially slim and compact, so whether you need a large set for the lounge or something smaller for the bedroom, you can be sure there’s an ‘S’ Series for you. Screen sizes range from 23 inch, up to 40 inch.

http://www.sony-mea.com/bravia/html/Vseries.html
    http://www.sony-mea.com/bravia/html/Sseries.html

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭JimmyL

The biggest difference is that one of them has the WEGA engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Personally if I was going to pay €3500 for an LCD TV, Id want it to be full HDTV capable (1080p), the spec of sonys are all 720p (1366x768)

The Philips Cineos 37"-42" LCD
    37PF9830_10_webImageFullSize.jpg

They are about that price and have a motorised stand and are Full 1080p, Also Ive seen the flag ship models of the sony and philips tested next to each other with different sources and the philips won hands down, especially on sky TV.

The sony are nice but are just not good enough for that money.

• Advertisement

thanks for the infos guys.

I have seen the cineos screens from philips, but I have two problems with them.

first of all, I will not bee needing the motorised stand as it is going to be hanging anyway.

second of all, I do agree that they can manage 1080p natively, but the issue I have with that is that there isn't going to be a single channel out in europe anway, which will broadcast in that res, so why splash out th money for it.

also, what does the WEGA engine do on LCD screens anyway?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Interesting article here on 1080p V 720p and why they chose 720p.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭maco

Just have my 40 samsung M61 and very happy with it. Cost me €2,900 at komplett.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Thats a pretty intresting article alright, I doubt broadcasters will go the full 1080p in the near future, But next-gen DVD (Blu-Ray/HD-DVD) are ment to be from the very start. Broadcasters will be using 720 to save bandwidth imo, also alot will be broadcasting in 1080i to save even more bandwidth. If I could get a philips 1080p for the same price as sony 720p, I would. but thats just me. Either way your getting a pretty amazing TV!!

I agree with you on the same price thing, but the cineos is a smaller screen and costs more.
    I said I am willing to go up to 3500, but if I don't have a good reason, why should I?
    and then again the larger cineos screen is way above my budget.
    I also looked at the samsungs, but I though the images on the sone S model were more brilliant to look at.

• Advertisement

The WEGA engine is an image processor to make SD source look better in HD. Apparently, it is supposed to be quite good.

Got this with a quick search: http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_ViewStatic-Start?page=static%2Farticles%2Fwhywega.isml

Gilgamesh wrote:
    I also looked at the samsungs, but I though the images on the sone S model were more brilliant to look at.

Which Samsung did you look at? The LE40M51/61 has the same panel as the Sony and has better spec on paper but I haven't found anywhere in Ireland that has one to demo. If you do, please let us know.

am really interested in the samsungs too, have seen the M51 in action (UK though) and was blown away.

tell ya what, if I do end up getting the samsung, then you can come over and have a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

I would think very seriously about spending up to 3,500 on a 40" LCD from Sony and especially in a sony centre in Ireland. You are basically going to pay wellllll over the odds.

don't worry, am not intending to buy ANYTHIN electrical in Ireland.
    maybe komplett as their prices seem to be okay and correspond with the norm prices of the screens.

I think I will go for the S model Bravia 40" as it seems to be the best option, it doesn't really have anything less than the V model except for the design, it even has the WEGA engine too, so that isn't a put back.
    will just pop over to the sony store today to look at it again before I make my mind up.

cheers for the help guys.

now next thing will be a kickass stand for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

Maxwell wrote:
    I would think very seriously about spending up to 3,500 on a 40" LCD from Sony and especially in a sony centre in Ireland. You are basically going to pay wellllll over the odds.

What are you comparing this too?? The Internet??

Unless i'm missing something here the V40 is €3200 in the Sony Centre in D4.
    I know because i bought one yesterday. The picture on the V 40 is far superior than both the comparible philips and the LG. I brought U571 on DVD with me to the several shops and got the staff to hook up a dvd player with component cables and play the same scene (depth charges under water). The sony is flawless. The best were the samsung but the Sony was my fav. They have ASTRA HD and hooked up the V 40 so i could see it at it's best.

Gilgamesh wrote:
    I think I will go for the S model Bravia 40" as it seems to be the best option, it doesn't really have anything less than the V model except for the design, it even has the WEGA engine too, so that isn't a put back.

I don't think the S has the WEGA Engine but I don't seem to be able to find any reference to it for either the S or the V on both IE and UK Sony website. Checked the specs and manuals and they mention it either.

Ru wrote:
    What are you comparing this too?? The Internet??

Unless i'm missing something here the V40 is €3200 in the Sony Centre in D4.
    IQUOTE]

The 3,500 price is what was mentioned as the budget

What I am saying is that you can buy much cheaper from Shops in other country's and have them delivered to you for €80euros. Exactly what I did for my 42" HD Plasma - which only cost 2,700 delivered to my door.

JimmyL wrote:
    I don't think the S has the WEGA Engine but I don't seem to be able to find any reference to it for either the S or the V on both IE and UK Sony website. Checked the specs and manuals and they mention it either.

They've changed the name of WEGA Engine to 3D Comb Filter!!

The old sounded better but whatya gonna do............

One strange thing is that the S Series has a PC input and better sound!?!?

Maxwell wrote:
    What I am saying is that you can buy much cheaper from Shops in other country's and have them delivered to you for €80euros. Exactly what I did for my 42" HD Plasma - which only cost 2,700 delivered to my door.

Oh............ sorry i miss understood.
    I get pretty pi55ed when i hear about people complaining about prices in shops and then buy off the internet. All they will accomplish in the long run are lesser quality products. I have some dealings with one of the major brand and i know what there profit margins are. They just can’t compete. Internet retailers don't have to train staff, or pay huge rental fees for prime locations nor do they have to pay for main stream advertising, just a warehouse and a PC can run a company. The more people buy from the internet......the worse the products will become in the long run...fact...
    Manufacturers will eventually cut costs to compete with the internet as high street retailers will generally uphold a reputation of a brand better than a forum will. You and I will look on sites to see what people think of a product or brand but our parents won't. They head down to the local Peat's or Sony Centre and speak to a person and see the product. But if the manufacture has to cut corner to keep costs down to maintain the retailers (which they do by contract) the telly or hi-fi end up in the scrap heap in a few years.....
    I understand that very few people can afford to pay that extra €300 to buy in the shops but its funny how the electrical industry is taking the brunt of our frustrations at being ripped off. Stamp Duty, house prices, car prices, Insurance and cup o soups are all significantly more expensive here than mainland Europe but we put up with it anyway……. The next time you go to buy a pair of Nike Air in champion sports….try the old chestnut “will there much cheaper on the internet” and see what happens.

The Irish electrical industry is in trouble and it’ll be the first casualty. My worry is simply quality of goods. The internet will kill it.

Sorry for the rant…….maybe we should have a ranting thread………

• Advertisement

I do understand your frustrations as you work for a retailer, but you do have to face the facts that people are getting more savvy and are checking for the best prices. My example really hit home at the margins in each country. Yes I bought from a German Retailer who had a shop in Dresden, but I did technically buy off the internet because that is where I found them. But they have a shop also:

So, a German retailer with a shop and website can offer me a price delivered to my door for 2,700 while at the same time I went into Harvey Norman's and was quoted 4,500 - now that is a huge,huge difference!! Fair enough, you could say that I didn't get the expert knowledge or expertise of talking to someone in the shop etc etc, but walk into any Curry's, Dixon's Harvey Norman and the person is usally quite rude and lacking in the expertise/service that you are supposedly paying extra for.

Sorry to say it but because you are linked to a Sony Store. I was looking to purchase a Sony Surround System 8-12 months ago and picked up the brochures, had a look and decided what I wanted. I head for the Galway and Limerick Sony Stores and they basically gave me no help and when I asked for a demo of the equipment before I bought (and I DID intend to buy from them there and then - I was told that they couldnt) the lack of service and help (from BOTH the Galway & Limerick stores was truely shocking) - so I then went searchin on the web and got my system delivered to my door and I saved over €250

I will not be paying for the "service" Irish retailer provide in the future.

You say that the Irish Electrical industry is in trouble and I can only agree with you as you are on the front line - but head over to the stores, ask questions and request demo's of products and listen to the answers....you will then witness the reasons why more and more people are buying from the Internet and stores in other country's.

You’re absolutely right...........if there was competition for NTL on the internet i would use it....... but that's my point........it's a vicious cycle..........
    If retailers don't sell as much.....they can't pay staff as much, if they can't pay well they end up hiring monkeys. I don't blame you at all for buying from Germany, they are simply great prices. However you shouldn't paint all salespeople with the same brush......it's the same as calling all priests.....well I’m not getting into that one.
    There are retailers who are only still in business because of the level of service.
    Internet shopping will always be around..........it's like minidisk!?!
    But without retail outlets you’re trusting other peoples opinions and alot of that is from reading someone else’s blog and again that's alot of opinion.
    I used to work in a retail store and if someone bought from the internet they were shunned, I’ve never earned commission; it was because we saw it as cheating. If i had a Euro for every time someone bought from the net and couldn’t work it or didn't actually like what they bought.............well i could afford a 50" in brown Thomas.

imho, I do look for good service, but then again I am not willing to pay for a good salesperson, that is just completely wrong. I am looking for a good price.
    what is the point of having to pay a large bit more for seomthing if you get the same service abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Gilgamesh wrote:
    imho, I do look for good service, but then again I am not willing to pay for a good salesperson, that is just completely wrong. I am looking for a good price.
    what is the point of having to pay a large bit more for seomthing if you get the same service abroad?

What do Komplett charge for shipping on something like a 40"lcd? Cos theres only €100 in orice difference between them and what the sony centre are doing the s series for.

**EDIT, just saw this.
    Delivery methods without COD fee
    GLS Ireland (3-4 days) 13.25 inc. VAT
    DHL (1-2 days) 671.44 inc. VAT

:D dhl please.

**EDIT**

Gilgamesh wrote:

I'm a compete hypocrite OKAY !

Just bought myself a 300GB HDD from Komplett.ie

I just want to get out of this on a neutral note.
    I’ve gotten completely caught up in this………. And I’m not completely agreeing with any of the comments made (including mine)……..we’re all right and wrong. We got into the economic and moral side of a situation that is uncontrollable.
    This reminds me of JVC being sued by the film companies in the 70’s for creating VHS…….they said it would ruin them. They now make more money from home formats than the cinema. How many kids have been sued and there families destroyed because of illegally downloaded music because the music companies were too stupid to embrace music downloads………..

What it boils down to is the internet is the future…………if it wasn’t I’d be on my bike now to get a stamp so you could read my reply…….

bring on 3D baby................ shopping while on the jacks is the way to go!!!!!!

Good recovery there Ru!

Have a look at this baby..........

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press_Archive/200302/03-008E/

i say it in action at a trade show last march with a BluRay demo of Charlie's Angels 2.

You can quote me on this one......"it's as good as your own eyes"

but the remote is very delicate, i broke it within 10 seconds of holding in front of the head of Sony Europe.......

Sorry, that's the uber geek page, try this one and click on 006

http://www.qualia.sony.us/qualia_main.cgi

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Gilgamesh wrote:

Only problem with that is that if/when highstreet retailers go under , everything you buy will be sight unseen and without any help.

Plus of course a large percentage of the country will be out of work, straining teh economy.:)

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote:
    Only problem with that is that if/when highstreet retailers go under , everything you buy will be sight unseen and without any help.

Plus of course a large percentage of the country will be out of work, straining teh economy.:)

I don't see that happening for a while yet...... can you see your parents shopping on the internet??

By the time it happens you'll probably have a 3D retail envrionment, but of course that'll put the prices back up..................ah for fcuk sake i'm doing it again.............can someone bar me please.......

Advertisement