Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what's the hell is the difference (LCD)

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

I never really go and look at the stuff I buy anyway, tbh.
    I agree with the point about the highstreet and all, but I do not agree that I have to pay, well in this example, nearly 1000 Euros more, when retailers are aware that there is a competition called internet.
    simple request even by the irish politicians. SHOP AROUND
    that in my ears doesn't mean, stick to ireland but to look for the best deal available to you.

the problem Ireland does have is that there is no competetion by bigger companies, if these were in place, the manufacturers would be able to ship Products to Irelnd for lower prices, hence bringing the prices down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

Gilgamesh wrote:
    the problem Ireland does have is that there is no competetion by bigger companies, if these were in place, the manufacturers would be able to ship Products to Irelnd for lower prices, hence bringing the prices down.

That is very true!

Look at the environment we live in - most people will visit the following shops when looking for a new tv/pc/hi fi:

Dixons, Curry's and PC World

........all owned by the same company

Competition is NOT alive and well in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

Maxwell wrote:
    Competition is NOT alive and well in Ireland

Don't forget the Sony Centre's

The ones in Dublin City Centre, Dun Laoighaire and Tallaght are owned by Peat's, and Irish Company

The rest in Dublin and Louth are owned by Hi-Fi Corner, another Irish company

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Gilgamesh wrote:
    I never really go and look at the stuff I buy anyway, tbh..

OT but how can you buy things like a tv or clothes without tryign them on/looking at the (not nessecarily in that order :) )?
    The whole point of a tv is pcture quality, so how do you know you like it if you dont see it?

Clothes especially as sizes/fitting etc varies.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭JimmyL

Stekelly wrote:
    OT but how can you buy things like a tv or clothes without tryign them on/looking at the (not nessecarily in that order :) )?
    The whole point of a tv is pcture quality, so how do you know you like it if you dont see it?

Easy. Just send them back. My wife is hooked on internet shopping (I knew I shouldn't have shown her...). Anything she doesn't like/fit is sent back. The hugh saving makes up for the cost of sending them back.

Back to TV's, some internet shops will allow return the stuff within 30 days or some, e.g. Technikdirekt - they even pick the bill. Am very tempted to order two TVs for comparison and return one but would obviously have to pay for both to begin with.

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote:

I think that clothes is the only exception where I would go to a shop.
    but Ireland is actually cheaper in most basic clothing than other countries in the EU at this stage.

the way I buy things online, in this case for example is to browse the web, find opinions of people who bought it, have to say avforums.com is a great place for that, and even boards, when it comes to computers.

I have aprincipal that I don't buy 'no namers' either, I stick to well established brands, like Sony, philips or Samsung as an example.
    I have been buying these brands for years on end and know which ones I like and which info I can trust from them, compare that with buyers opinions and you've got yourself a sale.

also, on the other side I have to ask, why do you go into a retailer (with a few exceptions) to buy a TV, when you aren't testing the screen to optimum quality or the optimum environment?

most TVs are connected by signla splitters, where I know for a fact that the picture quality can go haywire.

the only place I know where you can get halfway decent demos is the sony shop in O'connel street and Peats, but both of them are selling for over the average prices.

Ru wrote:
    Don't forget the Sony Centre's

The ones in Dublin City Centre, Dun Laoighaire and Tallaght are owned by Peat's, and Irish Company

The rest in Dublin and Louth are owned by Hi-Fi Corner, another Irish company

Didn't know that one!

Thanks for that

.....add's weight to my point that there is no competition in Ireland

The amount of people in Ireland that go to Curry's to see a TV and then go and check Dixon's to compare pricing??? Crazy stuff!

Gilgamesh wrote:
    also, on the other side I have to ask, why do you go into a retailer (with a few exceptions) to buy a TV, when you aren't testing the screen to optimum quality or the optimum environment?

most TVs are connected by signla splitters, where I know for a fact that the picture quality can go haywire.

the only place I know where you can get halfway decent demos is the sony shop in O'connel street and Peats, but both of them are selling for over the average prices.

A very,very good point!

The amount of stores I went into and none of them would give me a demo - even though I had 3K burning a hole in my pocket! Pure Lazy selling practices from Irish retailers

my point exactly, so the factor of going to a local retailer in Ireland is completely out of the wall too, as for why to go to them

Gilgamesh wrote:
    my point exactly, so the factor of going to a local retailer in Ireland is completely out of the wall too, as for why to go to them

You have to keep in mind that most of the people on this forum don't need to go into an actual retail store because we have both technical knowledge and faith in the internet. The other 99% of the population don't understand or trust the internet. And the other side is "what if something goes wrong" who in Ireland is going to take in your Samsung TV if it develops a fault? Powerscity? Dixons... it's hard enough to get them to repair things you buy from them. Never mind an MP3 player you got from Amazon.
    You have to start tracking down receipts and call the manufacturer in englishland. And what if it goes faulty after 13 months and you have a 12 month warranty? The retailers i know "hypothetically" could very easily have it fixed under warranty within reason (i.e. not kicked around).
    I know of people who bought an i-Pod in the states when you couldn’t get them here and they went faulty exactly when they were 13 months old………they were given absolutely no choice but to buy a new one, P&P and repair costs were more than a new one…….where is the saving if that happens.

Yes yes I know you’re paying for the product and not the retailer, so it shouldn’t go faulty in the first place, but it happens anyway.

• Advertisement

and that's why I don't buy in the states.

normally only from UK and germany, where,

1. I have relatives and coudl get it sorted through them

and

2. I know the shipping cost and tie is short enough.

Also, every time I had purchased soemthign in IE, and brought it back to the reteiler, they ALWAYS told me thery had to send it in to be looked at, and the shortest time it took to get something repaired was 6 WEEKS!!!!
    with an online shop or even most retailers in the UK or germnay, they provide you with the service or courtesy to either provide a replacement or give you a loner for the time, what do you get here? a huge phone bill for having to call up on them all the time

Gilgamesh wrote:
    Also, every time I had purchased soemthign in IE, and brought it back to the reteiler, they ALWAYS told me thery had to send it in to be looked at, and the shortest time it took to get something repaired was 6 WEEKS!!!!

Good point, however the time frame is actually down to the brand and the engineer being used, in my time with Sony you were looking at between 1 - 6 weeks. That was depending on whether parts were needed and availability of those parts; however the guarantee states that if an in-warranty product is not repaired within 28 working days the customer is entitled to a new machine!
    Also it's down to the retailer to offer a loan product, it's not compulsory but some do.
    But you’re tarring all Irish retailers with the same brush!!!
    Just because the people you have dealt with have been prix doesn't mean that all retailers are the same………. It’s like calling all forum users 30 year old computer geeks who live with their mammy because that’s the stereotype!

Your argument on pricing is completely valid and your right, but when you’re talking about customer service for retailers in IE you’re not….. You’re using your personal experiences in a few shops to complain about all of them.

Maybe there should be a thread on this… if someone has a problem with a retailer the consumers should be warned. In time they should fix their policies or loose business.

I haven't been generalising one bit as far as I am aware, I have always been talking about my own experience, and for living on the westside (shannon, Limerick, Ennis) and now in Dublin, I have come to a point of been so badly treated by certain retailers, that I am no longer willing to give any other retailer a new chance.

I don't think it is right to assume that I am flogging off al retailers, as I have had good SALES experiences in this country too, but I am more specifically talking about the electronics sales business and the lack thereof here.

will see if a Mod can move this to consumer thread

I think we should all be generalising.
    If your expected to spend money in any retail environment you should feel it's worth the difference. If their staff are plonkers we should know to avoid them

Let me know what the "powers that be" say for a thread on this matter, you'll have my full support.

Ru

Hi guys, just thought I would let you know, I bought myself the KLV-V40A10E from Sony, and amazingly enough , I purchased it at an Irish retailer, not from the web, I do have to admit that they threw in the 350 odd Euro glass stand for half price, which made the whole thing worthwhile.
    picking it up today, and am itching to get it setup.

cheers for the help guys.

Gilgamesh

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭JimmyL

Gilgamesh wrote:
    Hi guys, just thought I would let you know, I bought myself the KLV-V40A10E from Sony, and amazingly enough , I purchased it at an Irish retailer, not from the web, I do have to admit that they threw in the 350 odd Euro glass stand for half price, which made the whole thing worthwhile.
    picking it up today, and am itching to get it setup.

cheers for the help guys.

Gilgamesh

Goes to show that Irish retailers could be competitive if they want to... So don't forget to haggle.

Gilgamesh, don't forget to let us know what the set is like.

tbh it took time to get the price out of them, it only happened when the boss came into the shop that I managed to get the deal.
    picking it up today with the stand, can't wait to get it setup tonight.
    Pity I am flying to germany for a week this saturday, Schnief.
    might post some pics when it is setup ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Maco - You dog, how are you finding the Samsung?
    That is not a bad price from an Irish Website, they are 2600 on Katronics so I still reckon I will go with them.

yop wrote:
    That is not a bad price from an Irish Website, they are 2600 on Katronics so I still reckon I will go with them.

if this was pointed at me, just have to say, I didn't get it from an Irisch Website, got it from the sony store in Blanch shopping center.
    was considering Katronics, but the problem was, I had already put the 3.5 Grand on to my credit card, and Katronics don't take CC. but I am happy, at least I don't have any waiting times, hehe

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Gilgamesh, that is interesting about the CC and Katronics, how are you supposed to pay for it then or did you enquire?

Hope TV setup goes well u lucky spud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭maco

Yop, very happy with my Samsung. The quality is all depend from the from the source. so far no problem with it.

yop wrote:
    Gilgamesh, that is interesting about the CC and Katronics, how are you supposed to pay for it then or did you enquire?

Hope TV setup goes well u lucky spud

You pay by Bank Transfer on items over 1k I believe - smaller items can be paid for by cc. I used the bank transfer route for my plasma and it went perfect and I saved myself loads!

as maxwell said, they won't accept CC over 1k.
    bank transfer is the way to go with them.
    didn't have the new glass shelf yesterday but I setup the TV anyway, and was amazed by the picture quality.
    I had to tweak the settings a lot though to get rid of the ghosting on the analog cable signal but looks as good as analog can be ;)
    have been trying to get in touch with cablewatch for a month now to get digital and they seem to not need more business.
    watched Blade trinity special extended edition yesterday, and have never seen it look so good.

Advertisement