Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to set up a wireless network with 2 PCs only?

Options
  • 10-01-2006 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Is it possible to setup ICS with 2 pcs over wireless? IE a wirless card in main PC and a wirless laptop, no router. Is it possible to get the 2 computers to talk to each over over wireless?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Yes - I'm presuming you have XP ("ICS") -> This is essentially an ad-hoc connection (i.e. Computer to computer | wifi card to wifi card -> so you have network capabilities (file sharing,ping,etc.)) , with a shared connection (You can,with effort and disastrous results, get narrowband to share OK..but I'm presuming it's Broadband).
    Search on microsoft.com for more info.

What stage are you at? Are you just considering purchasing cards.. or are you having issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Just at the planning stage. Wondering which cards to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Well, any cards will provide that feature.
    If you need any further help - post up requirements (Very brief machine spec. (OS, inc. SP) , possible intereference, distance, etc.) / any that you have in mind. (+ budget ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Hi bond...

When I first got broadband (IBB), i didn't know a whole lot about networking and routers etc etc. I wanted to share it with my wireless laptop, so I learned about ICS.

I had a netgear PCI wifi card for my Dell tower into which the IBB was running on via wired ethernet.

I had no major problems with it, only that the tower and the laptop are in ad-hoc mode and depending on their locations, the signal may not be great.

Maplin in jervis st. have magmount wifi antennas for 16quid. RP-SMA connector perfect for a PCI NIC.

I now have a linksys 4P router with wireless. Setup now is, the Dell is wired, I popped the wireless NIC into another tower and the wireless laptop - all dhcp. I do windows/program updates now'n'again for mates PCs, so the router makes life easier for multiple PCs on the same network, wired or wireless.

cheers

Advertisement