Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Crime/Thriller Writers

Options
  • 10-01-2006 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭

I'm really into George P Pelecanos. But he has nothing new out at the moment.

What are other peoples favourites?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭elurhs

I would recommend the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child. It's a crime he's so unknown when crap like Da Vinci Code is selling millions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭hepcat

Cheers for that...Lee Child, so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

I don't read much crime/thrillers but Thomas Harris' books are worth a read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Demetrius

Any of the Inspector Morse novels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Jeffrey Deaver - brilliant, really love his books
    Harlan Coben - Tell No One & any books that aren't part of the Myron Bolitar series
    Michael Connelly
    Karin Slaughter - although her books are a bit samey
    Nicci French
    Mo Hayder - Birdman & the Treatment - really excellent thrillers
    Val McDermid
    Lee Child - I second that
    David Zeman - the Pinocchio Syndrome, brilliant 1st book
    Allan Folsom - the Day after Tomorrow, the Day of Confession & the Exile - all great books

In case anyone is interested in any of the authors above & more of the same, I have a load of books that I plan to sell in the for sale section in the next while - just need to bother my ass compiling a list!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Dick Francis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 HST

Lee Child is a very good writer. You can't forget Mario Puzo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Lee Child - thillers
    Robert B Parker - crime/detective

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

Elmore Leonard

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

Ian Rankin's Rebus novels are worth a read. Have to agree on the shout for Connelly earlier on. The Poet is excellent in particular

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Rankin tops my list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

Jeffrey Deaver: Yes, pretty good. But, after 3/4 books, his style gets too repetitive.

Although, Ian Banks is not a thriller writer, his book Complicity is amazing and written in that genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Michael Connelly definitely gets my vote - I can't think of any other series of books that would be sure to buy. Well, I like the Bosch books, "Bloodwork" felt like it was written for the big screen, and sure enough Clint Eastwood starred and directed in a truly horrendous version soon after. From what I remember his earlier books were not written in the first person, but you only knew what was happening to the main character (Bosch). His newer novels are a bit more mainstream and you follow several characters. I preferred the former method, as you didn't know anything that the main character didn't. Personal preference though, of course.

John Connolly is also very good, though his books are much heavier/darker than your average crime novelist. I think he is the same John Connolly who has / had a column in one of the Irish weekend papers.

I like the Lee Child books also, but I find them closer to lighter reading than the others.

I don't know if these really fit into the genre, but Nelson DeMille books are also worth a read. I loved "The Lions Game", and "Night Fall" is also worth a read. However, his two main characters are very similar and the the formula can seem a little pronounced at times: will spoiler just in case:
    Xenephobic Older military/police man is teamed with unlikely partner: cue the younger nubile lady, he impresses her with his macho skills, while she instills in him a little culture / acceptance of whatever non-American activity / person or groups of person / culture they are investigating / killing etc etc.

Still worth a read though in my opinion.

Edit:
    The "Elvis Cole" books by Robert Crais are also worth a read, but again they are very much at the lighter reading end of the spectrum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭shuushh

James Ellroy, James Burke and Robert Crais

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭boidey

Denis Lehane along with James Ellroy & George Pelecanos as previously mentioned. Robert Harris is ok sometimes,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Michael Connelly

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithimac

Richard North Patterson has written a Great novel related to the gun debate and domestic violence as well as the American political system. Its called balence of power and is prefaced by Bill Clinton. A great reed If you have an interest in any of these subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

For me it'd be John Connolly and Michael Connelly, Johns stuff is darker though.

Also Andrew Vachss' (www.vachss.com) Burke series is excellent, all about a criminal who makes a living hunting paedophiles.

I'd also agree with elurhs on the Da Vinci Code, pure muck and badly written!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

Angel's and Demon's was much better, he should have never made Da Vinci Code. Arthur Conan Doyle who can forget the greatest of them all Sherlock Holmes "The Valley of Death" is superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Len Deighton. I suppose they were spy novels, but definately had an element of thriller about them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

How the fcuk has nobody said Truman Capote?

Also Raymond Chandler, the best of the bunch IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Henning Mankell's Kurt Wallander Mystery series is very good too

Advertisement