Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Digiweb Metro expansion

Options
  • 10-01-2006 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭

http://url.ie/ni
    http://url.ie/nj

Launch of the "Metro-20" project to do what they said they wanted to to do months ago, and bring Metro to outside the cities

.cg

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Metro cells are also the largest ones out there in Wireless land, Watty is c.12km from his mast in Limerick .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

It would be mildly useful to know what those 20 locations might be...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭aaronc

Blaster99 wrote:
    Tallaght of course that's the most populous place in Ireland outside civilisation!

Aaron

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Blaster99 wrote:

It would be even more mildly useful for eircom to know - they will be announced as the go live. anyway, I will say no more on this :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

It would be even more mildly useful for eircom to know - they will be announced as the go live
    Que Killaloe.

I understand the competitive situation, but surely Eircom has enabled every exchange worth enabling or will enable them in the next couple of months? I would have thought Digiweb's edge is that you can reach much further into the wilderness than Eircom can plus a slight pricing edge. Considering you initially targetted areas with tons of competition, I wouldn't have thought that there was much to worry about and you may also want to consider that if people know there will be service in the next couple of months in a location, they may wait instead of going with a competitor.

Doesn't really affect me either way, so I'll patiently wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ceepee

seems sometimes eircom prefer for us to show them the way first with our wireless rollouts ... half of Waterford city, a whole bunch of locations in the west and north east, and a few in midlands come to mind.

Not to worry - they can soon apply for wholesale Metro in the new locations ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

ceepee wrote:
    seems sometimes eircom prefer for us to show them the way first with our wireless rollouts ... half of Waterford city, a whole bunch of locations in the west and north east, and a few in midlands come to mind.

Not to worry - they can soon apply for wholesale Metro in the new locations ;)

Yeah i noticed that ....... funny thing is thats exactly what happened in Carna ..... 3 weeks before the service went live my sister was told "...it will be months possibly 2006 before the exchange will be upgraded". Digiweb goes live and within 2 weeks the exchange had been upgraded.
    bummer is i still cant get either servive :( so im stuck with satellite for the time been :(

P.S. can you quote me for Metro Wholesale ??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Morgoth

Hey look, I don't know if these upgrades mean you're coverage will extend approximately 15km west of Cork City (city centre, as the crow flies), but regardless could you tell eircom that it will, please? Force them to upgrade my damn exchange. =) I'm getting more and more desperate for > 7.5k/s!

• Advertisement

Eircom hope to have about 100 exchanges to release on the market in Feb and March !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Eircom hope to have about 100 exchanges to release on the market in Feb and March !
    What all of a sudden? Or have they finished a long time ago but never allowed to get BB? 100 exchages in 2 months is amazing speed.

What all of a sudden? Or have they finished a long time ago but never allowed to get BB? 100 exchages in 2 months is amazing speed.

The program has been ongoing but rather than drip announce at 4 or 5 a weeks like the first large program ...2004... it appears that a whole load of them will be released in one go ....maybe blocks by county or province ..... dunno TBH

The current program is 200 by End march 2006 (announced a year back) . Relatively few of these have come on stream so the program must deliver quite a few in a very short period .

Or they're running behind?

Presumably Metro will target the next 20 largest towns. If Eircom don't have them all enabled I will eat a €10 note or donate it to a charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Morgoth

Sponge Bob wrote:
    it appears that a whole load of them will be released in one go ....maybe blocks by county or province ..... dunno TBH

I've seen you say this a few times about the place, but I always assumed you were being sarcastic. After all, last time I checked they had done 25 out of 200 in about 8 of the 12 months they had given themselves. But you seem to be saying here that you have reason to believe that they actually are going to make good on the original announcement, on time, despite needing to bring a very large number online in the next two months to achieve this.

If that actually happens, well, I'm on one of those announced exchanges that hasn't been done yet. So I'd be over the moon. :) BT will do me just fine instead of Metro!

Morgoth wrote:
    I've seen you say this a few times about the place, but I always assumed you were being sarcastic. After all, last time I checked they had done 25 out of 200 in about 8 of the 12 months they had given themselves. But you seem to be saying here that you have reason to believe that they actually are going to make good on the original announcement, on time, despite needing to bring a very large number online in the next two months to achieve this.
    You are my MAN Morgoth, thats what I said.

They will substantially make good on the '200 by March 2006' program by bringing 100 or so online in the next 2 months on top of the 25 (maybe more) that are already on. The number may exceed 100. The whole program will be completed sometime between June and August (not by March) according to my sources .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Clanc

so does anyone know which are the lucky 20 towns? I don't see any locations mentioned in any of the press links nor on Metro Website

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Clanc wrote:
    so does anyone know which are the lucky 20 towns? I don't see any locations mentioned in any of the press links nor on Metro Website
    crawler wrote:
    they will be announced as the go live.
    Crawler works for Digiweb.

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Metro cells are also the largest ones out there in Wireless land, Watty is c.12km from his mast in Limerick .

Yes 12.5Km as the microwave flies. Still waiting for phone line activation on the system. But data speed up/down and pings all excellent. Availablity is not quite 100%, but only one or two short outages.

Crawler and Chaz from Digiweb seem to help folks out on the BB forum from time to time.

Advertisement