Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Futures bleak, what to do?

• 10-01-2006 9:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

My future isn't looking too good. I left school at 15 and never did either jnr or leaving cert. I hated school and never fitted in right, I did have friends but these friendships declined after leaving. I have tried getting a job and have been rejected a few times because of "lack of experience" and the fact that every job i tried for is full of eastern European university grads doing the crappy jobs. My plan was always to go to America but that is not the land of milk and honey you see on Hollywood blockbusters, I visited there and found out! I recently turned 18 and was told to sign on for dole, I checked the websites and they are so full of jargon! I reckon I'd get nothing anyway as i'm living with my parents. I have no real skills except I'm handy with computers, 8yrs tinkering since i was 10 have shown me a thing or two. Still that is no good as if i was to go for a job I'd get the "show us your degree" malarky. This is one retarded country where you get asked for a CV yet how can you show a CV when you can't even get on the bottom rung of the ladder. I often wish I could just rewind my life a few years and change a few things. I wonder where would the best place to join the rat race be. Oh and I live in arse end of no where and a car would take my life savings and Insurance would take most of what I'd potentially earn. Please let me win the lottery !!

any advise or ideas would help, I'd like to hear from anyone that was once in a similar situation to myself

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Consider going back and doing the leaving cert?

Or alternatively try doing some FETAC or industry course in computers.

And go get a job, even if its in the local shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

Go back and do the leaving cert.... seriously...

You may be in a better frame of mind now...

Also ... you had a few years out... big deal... i have friends who are 28/29 have been through uni and out working and are going back to year 1 in uni again to pick a differnt course/career...

Never too late....

But you should make a stab at getting the Leaving Cert for sure or more doors will be locked from ya ..

-A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Do a fás course www.fas.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Go to the Social Welfare office if you have a hard time with what is on the web. Someone can sit down and explain the situation to you - Citizens Advice Bureau might also be an option.

Contact your local VEC and talk to them about returning to study the leaving/junior cert - lets face it, without at least one of them, you're going to struggle. FAS might also be a good place to start, as a FAS course could give you a leg up and be an alternative worth investigating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

It's been said, but I'll say it again, go back and do the leaving cert, yo're onyl 18 mate, and it'll stand to you in the long run. Big time. If you're handy with computers you could get the points to do a course with them, even to cert or diploma level, coudl realy make a difference to your job search

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭monroe

Although I'm happy to have done mine I don't know if I'd reccomend the leaving cert.

If you hated studying three years ago then things may not be much different. However if you're really interested in computers then you should follow that...there are loads of practical courses you can do...

There seems to be loads of courses on the FAS site, none any good?

whatever happens.........future is most definitely not bleak for you...some of the worlds biggest success stories left school at 12 years old!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Might not be a great help but http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97897

Note: a lot of people mentioned there (and will mention here too) that you should do a PLC course. Now, as one of the posters in that thread astutely pointed out, "For the majority of PLC courses you are going to need your leaving certificate". The truth is, PLC = post leaving cert, so it's not an option for you as you haven't done the LC.

Neither is doing the LC, because you haven't done the JC.

But none of this matters, because there are plenty of things for you to do to improve your CV enough to get you a very good job. The only question is: will you work at it?

Firstly, there's FETAC. Getting a FETAC award is demanding, but it pays off. If you couple it with a certificate from FÁS, you'll be doing great.

Other options include Gáisce and open university.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

Stick to what you know and like doing. I don't think the Leaving Cert. is all its cracked up to be, do a FAS course in computers and try and get job experience with a computer company, if you can prove your worth they might keep you on. A lot of computer guys I know would sooner have a computer whiz-kid then some guy with degrees coming out his a**e. Good luck, think positive.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

junkyard wrote:
    Stick to what you know and like doing. I don't think the Leaving Cert. is all its cracked up to be, do a FAS course in computers and try and get job experience with a computer company, if you can prove your worth they might keep you on. A lot of computer guys I know would sooner have a computer whiz-kid then some guy with degrees coming out his a**e. Good luck, think positive.
    That's good advice alright, if you stick to what you know and like, and are good at it, then anyone would be delighted to have you.

You can answer the "what experience do you have" question with a simple, "I know a computer inside and out".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Go back and get some qualifications. This will come off harsh, but you can't expect things to be handed to you on a plate when you've made no effort to do anything yourself. NEWFLASH - lots of people hate school and don't fit in. I surely hated my bigoted, repressive school and most of the people in it, had very few friends, made worse by the fact I had just moved country when I started there, and I stuck it out cos I knew I'd never get a job otherwise.

You don't seem to be making an effort at all, you basically can't be bothered to go on the dole because reading the website requires a little thinking, and you haven't even checked if you're entitled to it (you probably are). You're damn lucky if your parents are still supporting you, mine would have thrown me out by now. I suggest you get off your arse and start looking at your options. As other people have suggested, you could enroll on a computer course and SHOW employers you know what you're doing. If you don't want to do this, what about training to become a plumber, mechanic, etc? You don't need the LC for those careers, and they can pay very well. If you aren't at all academic there's no point struggling your way through the JC and LC. There are actually loads of options out there, all you need to do is think about it and then work out what you need to do to get them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

I had a friend who was like yourself. He didn't do the leaving cert either, left school very young and trained to be an apprentice printer. After a few years of this he got fed up with it and didn't see much of a future in it.

I was studying software engineering over in the UK and encouraged him to join one of the computer courses as a mature student! at this stage he was 23 years old. Now he had no idea about computers but this is what he wanted to do and like the fool I am I told him it was easy. I gave him alot of help in his first year but he soon got the hang of it. Anway to cut a long story short after 2 years he ended up with a HND in computer programming, got a very well paid job where he worked for about 6 years, bought himself a 2 bed apartment in Dublin city centre and then decided he was bored with Ireland! :eek:

So he quit his job and moved over to Australia. He now rents his apartment out for a nice tide sum. That was almost 2 years ago, at this stage he's got himself a nice job fixing computer systems over there and is currently on a 3 week Hangliding holiday tour around Australia with his Aussie mates! :)

All you need is to form a plan, if he can do it anyone can! :D

Good luck. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

UberNewb wrote:
    I had a friend who was like yourself. He didn't do the leaving cert either, left school very young and trained to be an apprentice printer. After a few years of this he got fed up with it and didn't see much of a future in it.

I was studying software engineering over in the UK and encouraged him to join one of the computer courses as a mature student! at this stage he was 23 years old. Now he had no idea about computers but this is what he wanted to do and like the fool I am I told him it was easy. I gave him alot of help in his first year but he soon got the hang of it. Anway to cut a long story short after 2 years he ended up with a HND in computer programming, got a very well paid job where he worked for about 6 years, bought himself a 2 bed apartment in Dublin city centre and then decided he was bored with Ireland! :eek:

So he quit his job and moved over to Australia. He now rents his apartment out for a nice tide sum. That was almost 2 years ago, at this stage he's got himself a nice job fixing computer systems over there and is currently on a 3 week Hangliding holiday tour around Australia with his Aussie mates! :)

All you need is to form a plan, if he can do it anyone can! :D

Good luck. :)
    That's a lovely story! :D

I'd say you should either do a FÁS course or pick up a trade. You're not fooked just yet, you're only 18! Loads of time to do a course or two or get an apprenticeship -- no bother!

Good luck with it though, let us know what you decide to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'd say do a Fàs course, when you've got that done you can then go on and apply for jobs or even further education, whether it be in college/university/microsoft exams.

I was kinda in the same position as yourself. (although I did have my leaving cert).

I left school after the LC and started working in different jobs - pub, retail secuirty, courier. I was like yourself, very unsure as to what to do and what were my options, if any. I just got up one day and went out and did something about it. Got myself into a course and now nearly qualified as an accountant. Get out today and go get the information from all the Fàs courses that interest you.

Just realise one thing, don't let the LC get in the way of a good education & career. Its the not the dog's b*ll*cks that its made out to be. There are plenty of other routes to getting an education and a great career.

Don't let anybody dishearten you either. You're always going to have skeptical people asking what you're doing and trying to turn their nose up at what you're doing because they know nothing about it. Just ignore them and keep going.

I'm sure the people at Fàs will be able to answer any questions you have. Here's the number 01-6070500.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

DaveMcG wrote:
    I'd say you should either do a FÁS course or pick up a trade. You're not fooked just yet, you're only 18! Loads of time to do a course or two or get an apprenticeship -- no bother!

Only problem is that you need at least your JC before you can do most apprenticeships, even then you need to jump through a few extra hoops as you don't have the LC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

If I was in your position I'd see two options available:
    1. Do a fas/fetac related course in computers that would lead to getting a job in computers. By doing a few of these courses it is possible to get yourself started working in computers in a decent job. Your best bet is to head down to the local fas office and find out for yourself what the story is. If you do go on the dole your probably only likely to get about €30 - €80 if your living at home and your parents are working.

2. Go back and repeat the leaving cert, as untempting as it might sound it is the better of the two options allowing you to get a good university/college education and possibly that degree your lacking on your cv. Also by doing the leaving cert will open up a load of other options of courses available to you if you change your mind that computers no longer interest you.

YOU dropped out of school
    YOU did not sit the Junior or Leaving Cert
    YOU are responsible for your problems

WHY should YOU be entitled to the dole?

Congratulations for not contributing to society, well done on dropping out of school. Here, take this cheque for doing nothing; it will enable you to continue to do nothing for another few years.

I am sorry, but I have a real problem with people such as yourself, from a good family home, claiming the dole out of sheer laziness!

I would suggest returning to school, repeating these exams, even on a part time basis.

Alternatively, look into your school leaver options, such as FAS.

In the mean time, get a part time job.

You need to do these things for yourself, by yourself; you cannot expect people to do everything for you.

Hi thanks for all the advice and support people, I really appreciate it. I am now currently looking into a fás computer course, As for my leaving cert, I am putting it as one of those life achievements that I might do when I'm 70 or whatever. I will try and get into a course and see how things pan out from there.

Thanks again. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 jaspersmiley

18 is nothing... you have so much time. If I were you, I would seriously consider going back to school again and give it another go. You will always be at a loss without your LC in this country and have very limited options. And its only 3 years that you dropped out so getting back into it wont be that difficult. Ull be more mature now to realize the importance of it all. As someone already mentioned, people at 28/29 are going back and doing other courses... so you're by no means the only one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Would you not try for a job in the building industry. It's booming at the moment and this won't last forever. Work will be tough but there is money to be made. You don't even need to be a skilled tradesman. For instance, a year or so ago on "Show me the Money" there was a guy operating a JCB who was taking home 40k AFTER tax. That's more than most people with a college degree. Now there is probably some training and certification needed for digger driving but it can't be that much. And of course you'll need to get the appropriate driving licence. But once you have all that i don't think anybody will give a sh1t that you didn't do the JC.

I am not sure what other jobs there are where academic quals don't mean much. Maybe look into lorry driving, mobile crane driving, tower crane assembly etc. There have to be loads of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

The simple, obvious and easy way out of this for you is to join the Defence forces. If you join up as a non-commisioned officer you will be paid through out your training and put in to a secure job on contract for 6 years minimum (I think). I did work experience with the Irish Air Crops. We were lectured by someone who joined up on Junior Cert results. He is now a qualified engineer. He completed his leaving cert with the Air Corps. The Aircorp then trained him and he went on to get a degree in engineering(as far as I can remember). When his training was complete he became an aeronautical engineer. After your time is up with the Air Corps you can sign on for another few years or you can go off with your qualifications and persue your own career. Put some thought in to the the Defence Forces. It's worth some thought at least.

See:http://www.military.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Do a PLC in computing tbh, at 18 you can get admitted on the course without prior qualifications. Nothings stopping you from getting on the 'bottom rung' as you put it. One thing though in regards to what you said about this country being retarded in asking for a CV - you have to see it from the employers perspective as well, would you take a chance and hire someone who had no qualifications, on the promise they know a bit or two about computers?. You have to mature a bit and realise those little bits of paper saying PLC/CERT/DIPLOMA/DEGREE exist for a reason, as a mark of your expertise in an area, you can't just tell people you're cool at computers and then be surprised when they ask for academic references...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Worst case scenario, go to college at 23 when you're a mature student?

Advertisement