Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing Motorcycle From States

• 10-01-2006 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

A Friend of mine is moving home from the states this year and has space on a container for a motorcycle.
    I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to purchase a bike in the states and sell it over here when it comes across ( after declaring it of course).
    I have noticed from some web searches that a lot of bikes are cheaper in the states than here.
    I would be grateful for anyone's opinion on what bike would be worthwhile to bring over - I was thinking of a Harley perhaps.
    He has no interest in bikes and is just looking to make a few quid on the room he has in the container so the bike would definitely be sold on unless I took a fancy to it myself :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭coyote6

That would be a great idea. Harley's are expensive here but you may get a profit due to the rarity in Ireland and the exchange rate. The best deal on a Harley would be finding a 883 Sportster with some upgrades (Pipes, forward controls, chrome, Fat Bob tank etc.) Also some good deals can be had on 1200 Sportsters. I've seen recent ones going for around $4500 - 6500 in the model year 2000 and up. I ride an '01 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100 and it is a very fine machine. Very fast and reliable. check out the sabregroup online to learn more about these. Very reasonably priced. Mine was $5600. They look like Fatboys. We like to say, "twice the bike for half the price." You can get some fantastic deals on older Honda's like CB750's from the '70's. These are very classic bikes that will eventually be untouchable pricewise. Now you can get a nice one from around $2500. Also check out BMW's and Triumphs. ebay is a nice place to look at whats out there. Also check out autoandrv.com (or something close to that, just enter indiana auto & rv and you'll find it). Buy it in the midwest for the best deal. Love your country by the way! My great uncle was from Mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Harley Man

I'll be moving to Ireland this summer and I'll be bringing my 1999 Harley-Davidson Wide Glide. I know that shipping my bike is going to cost me around $1800. But this is through a motorcycle shipping company that handles all the paperwork, etc.. I did not check into including it in with our furniture container.

Sportsters are nice bikes and as mentioned in the previous post, you can get some good deals. You can also get some great deals on larger bikes too. Right now folks are buying the 2006 models which is creating an abundance of used inventory. You could easily find a 2002-2003 Harley-Davidson Wide Glide or Softail with low milage for around $12,000-$13,000. You should check out some of the dealership websites for their used bike inventory.

http://www.seacoastharley.com/pre_owned_list.asp
    http://manchesterhd.talarico.com

Advertisement