Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

American Camcorder

• 11-01-2006 12:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Hello Peeps not sure if this is the right forum, just wondering has anyone bought a camcorder in the US and if so were you able to get a PAL camcorder or did you have to go with a NTSC model and does it make any difference when transfering to a Mac or PC to burn to DVD.

thanks in advance

TL

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Lump Basher

Makes no odds when just using it on a PC/MAC via firewire and an editing package - but if you want to makes discs for people (friends, family, etc), they'll be NTSC encoded - which might be a pain for most casual 'home entertainment users'.
    My advise: try to get a PAL camera, and keep everything PAL to save potential future headaches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭esquier

Lumpbasher`s right,buying NTSC will only bring unnecessary grief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

i know its more hassle but with the current rate on the dollar and the fact that it is only going to improve, the cost of a new camcorder in the states in somewhere like b&h compared to here is laughable, depending on the model you could be talking up to half price, so i may be prepared to put up with the grief or even purchase the new sony HDD camcorder if its out by the end of march.

I got a digital cam off this guy recently and he`s sound, he`s got a couple of camcorders at the mo. He only does canon stuff, warranty and all.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Canon-MV600i-MiniDV-Camcorder-Ex-demo-1year-warranty_W0QQitemZ7579694193QQcategoryZ20333QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

On second thoughts, just looked at reviews for this particular model and they`re patchy, mebbe not this time. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

that panasonic looks like it belongs on the starship enterprise, i think ill send them a mail and find out if they do the model im after in a pal format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

You can get PAL cameras in the US quite easily. I'd recomend one of the Panasonic 24p 3ccd jobs. Quite cheap and really sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭stupefly

I have a NTSC camcorder, its never given me any trouble. I load it onto iMovie, it says NTSC at the top which always gets me a lil worried but then the DVD almost always work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 sdLOVE

you can always transfer it from NTSC to PAL, I have done that before, but you lose a bit of quality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭richie.c

I bought my camcorder in Florida 2 years ago and most of the smaller stores had both pal and ntsc. The likes of best buy or walmart or any of the big retail stores didn't have pal models.
    Mine has worked a treat since the day i bought it.

Advertisement