Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anybody doing event management

Options
  • 11-01-2006 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

well whats d craic,

just wondering is any one doing event management in d.i.t .its my 1st choice for next year so was wondering whats it like??

any help greatly appreciated

melissa

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

mel(",) wrote:
    well whats d craic,

just wondering is any one doing event management in d.i.t .its my 1st choice for next year so was wondering whats it like??

any help greatly appreciated

melissa
    I was talking to a couple of lads doing event managment at the freshers ball thing and they said it was half decent. Although they had only been doing the course about a week at that stage. I put the course down on my cao list. It sounds decent anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭mel(",)

awh rite..thanks..well i think its the only thing i'd like to do so hopefully its good enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭pocketac3s

Im doing event management the moment and I like the course,its fairly handy because we're not given that many hours and the workload is next to nothing....most of the subjects are interesting 2..

Theres a big emphasis on work experience so you can get a hand on feel for the job..neways it woz my 1st choice and im fairly happy wid it..

cheers

oh really that sounds brill
    its my first choice too and to be honest its the only thing i want to do

so the hours arent too much
    thats grand coz ive 2 travel up from meath coz d ma and da wont let me stay up there yet!

thanks for the info...much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

mel(",) wrote:
    oh really that sounds brill
    its my first choice too and to be honest its the only thing i want to do

so the hours arent too much
    thats grand coz ive 2 travel up from meath coz d ma and da wont let me stay up there yet!

thanks for the info...much appreciated
    You will probably be spending more on travel than anything. I'd say it would probably be cheaper renting an apartment with someone in Dublin. That way you'll also be saving time. If you do the event managment course and if it is as light on the hours you are in there as my course is, there will probably be a lot of days when you will be in for an hour at most.

• Advertisement

i've told them this ova and ova again but do you think they will listen...no!!

i wanna move up but they dont want to let me go

hopefully when they see how wrecked i am afta all the travellin they will let me move up.the bus is gonna cost between 40 and 50 a week anyway so its not gonna cost much more

• Registered Users Posts: 7 OneTrueNemo

Hey, I'm hoping to do event management next year, but I'd really love to hear more about the course and people's experiences of it.

What's it like on a day to day basis?
    How is it assessed?
    Is the introductory stuff covered early on a bit boring or does it keep your attention from the beginning?
    Do you like the course and where it's going?
    Does it feel useful?

I've probably got a million more questions! You know what I'm going for, right?

I'd really love to talk to someone about it, if you'd be willing......?

Thanks

ya i wudnt mind hearin d answers 2 those questions 2!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 secksey-mofo

im in 1st yr of event management and so far its aite. the only thing that makes it any different from a business course is the 200hrs of work experience u gotta do. it focuses alot on conferences aswell which are a bore! hours are good tho n we've got 4day weekends! alot of ppl have dropped out tho cz its not wat they expected, like the rest of us really but we've been told to hang in that it gets better! put it this way they dont lecture u on how to plan the biggest musical festival ever.. it more like how to communicate with ur employees, how to finance, market and manage ur business!

awh rite thats a bit disapointin 2 hear but i no a gal doin it in dundalk and she said her second year was way betta than the first one so hopefully yours will get beter too!!

i put it down as me first choice tink its d only thing i wanna do so i'll giv it ago
    4 day weekends..sounds good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

4 day weekends i picked the wrong course.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Just wondering is the maths tough?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MeetReality

In first year of Event Management and really enjoying the course.

It's 16 hours a week and no classes Fridays!

The lectures are interesting but make sure to take notes througout. You also have to do a language but it is very basic level and not that challenging.

You get assigments to do throughout the year with usually 4 weeks to have done in and then you have exams in January and May.

You also must do 200 hours work experience in first year, don't worry the course head gives you a list of contacts but it would be more worth your while to use external contacts. I've worked at business conferences bt mostly have worked with bands and am currently working with a music promotor in Dublin and have worked concerts in the Button Factory, Crawaddy and Twisted Pepper aswell as doing promotional work for the concerts.

If you want to know anything else drop me a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Is there maths in the course and whats it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MeetReality

You have to do Accounting in the 2nd semester of first year and from talking to second years this year you do more accounting in second year but I wouldnt worry about that as it is taught from a basic level so don't worry if you haven't done accounting before :)

Advertisement