Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPanel/WHM Problem

Options
  • 11-01-2006 3:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

I have a problem that I dont know how to fix. I've limited experience with maintaining a dedicated server. So any help on this matter (detailed help) is much appreciated.
    IMPORTANT: Do not ignore this email.
    This is cPanel stats runner on server145.lyricshub.com!
    While processing the log files for user omar, the cpu has been
    maxed out for more than a 6 hour period. The current load/uptime line on the server at the time of
    this email is
    20:28:05 up 94 days, 1:55, 0 users, load average: 3.74, 3.31, 3.30
    You should check the server to see why the load is so high and take
    steps to lower the load. If you want stats to continue to run even with a high load; Edit
    /var/cpanel/cpanel.config and change extracpus to a number larger then 0 (run
    /usr/local/cpanel/startup afterwards to pickup the changes).

I've noticed that the Webalizer statistics havent updated for the past 5 days. I'm not sure what other effects this is having on my server. But I'd like to get it fixed as soon as I can. Any and All help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Maxed out for more than 6 hours straight? Sounds like a DDoS attack.

Basic solutions would to check the logs to see if it's only a small number of IPs bombarding you that you can ban from accessing your server.

To be honest you need professional help from your hosting proivider. Contact them immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Use top (as root from the command line), or use the "Show Current CPU Usage" under "System Health" in WHM to see what process is eating up all the CPU.. and help you decide if it's a one off (and kill it), or if it's something more serious.

Be aware there is also a known issue with stats generation falling behind (because of an infinite loop in the stats daemon), which might explain the no-logs-in-5-days bit. It might also explain the CPU load, but I'd say it's more likely to be a runaway script/process.

If none of that makes sense to you, you need to get someone in to do the magic ASAP.

.cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Fortune

I checked the System Health, and found a process that was eating up 20% of the CPU resources and killed it. This may help the server load for now, thanks cgarvey.

In the mean time, I've been looking for a professional to help out. The only I have been able to find is CheetaWeb.com , which charge $75 an hour. I cant afford that though.

Do you know of any cheaper solutions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Fortune - Some of us offer this as a service

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Fortune wrote:
    Do you know of any cheaper solutions?

If you can't find an Irish supplier to suit, then view the sigs of a few of the more frequent posters on http://forums.cpanel.net/

.cg

• Advertisement
Advertisement