Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts...earliest lecture?

Options
  • 11-01-2006 7:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭

I am a mature student currently applying for Arts, hoping to study Music with Spanish, and not sure what else yet. As a mother of a 2 year old I am curious as to what time I would have to be out the door in the mornings.(Living in Bray). What time does the earliest lecture begin, and how many early starts would you normally have in an average week?

While I have your kind attention, I would love to know what the latest lecture time is, and how many of those you would normally have also?

I am not demanding at all:D
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

first lecture is at 9am. Last one is normally at 5pm or 6pm. But most are held between 9 and early afternoon.

How early or how late you finish entirely depends on what modules you're doing. Some people might not have any 9am starts, others might have loads.

I know one first year arts student who i was helping to choose modules back in sept managed to have all day friday free for both semesters. So it's all down to what you do and how you arrange ur timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

While in 1st year, I only had 2 9am starts, in 2nd year, I have 4. In 3rd year, I apparently have none!! Don't let the times put you off what you really want to study though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

If you need any advice on any aspect of studying as a mature at UCD you can contact the matures Student Advisor, Ronan Murphy. He can put you in contact with the Parents Society etc. on campus. He's a hell of a nice guy too; if he dosen't know the answer to a query he wont bullsh1t you.

Ther is a creche on campus, but I have heard that it cannot cater for huge numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭john^doyle

this coming semester i have a 4-day week, each of the 4 days i have my first lecture at 11am

last semester i had 4 9am starts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Thanks all for your helpful replies...will check out the Parents society.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

irlrobins wrote:
    first lecture is at 9am.

Ahem. 8am lectures happen too, albeit against the will of nature. Definition of hell: October mornings, cycling in from Terenure for an 8am lecture. Inevitably in the rain...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

I'm in at 9am every day, OH JOY.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I took music, in first year I think the earliest lecture is 11am but you'll have at least 2, maybe 3 (can't quite remember) 9am's in second year. It'd be very hard to get away without having any 9am's in 3 years. I had 2 in first year and 3 in second year... or the other way around, I can't remember.

Also the music faculty are really annoying and don't seem to care about any other subjects you may be taking. As far as their concerned you are taking music and they don't care what else. Therefore they stick on extra lectures (they had a 4pm lecture on mondays in first year which wasn't on the timetable) and give you far more work than any other subject. If you've done alot of music before you'll be fine as first year is easy enough but they'll make you take an assessment test at the start of the year. Depending on the results of this you will be put in the higher or lower class. Most people stay in the higher class but if you are put in the lower class you will have an extra 2 hours of Harmony lectures per week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭randombassist

boneless wrote:
    Ther is a creche on campus, but I have heard that it cannot cater for huge numbers.

There was a thing in the paper a while back saying they were going to double the capacity this year, so there might be some more places coming up.

Also the music faculty are really.

UCD has a music faculty? wow. where is that? how mad... racing into college late for a lecture past Mozarts Rondo Alla Turca... seriously never knew you could study music here must be a small school is it?

• Advertisement

UCD has a music faculty? wow. where is that? how mad... racing into college late for a lecture past Mozarts Rondo Alla Turca... seriously never knew you could study music here must be a small school is it?

It's on the third floor of the arts block, you take the elevator nearest to theatre L. It's pretty much above that area. There were about 60 students in my year after the first year cull I think. There were never more than 25 in lectures as everyone resents the department for being such a pack of benders.

cool, but what happens if you play something completely mad like the siberian tin whistle or the malaysian spoons or something and they dont have a clue if youre doing it right or anything. or... how funny would it be if ye all decided to study in the library. some nerd looking into a laptop trying to concentrate and theres some dude geting his cello into tune next to him going *doh re me..!*

Royale with cheese, I would be interested to hear more of your opinions on the Music department. I have to say I met the Head of the Department and the guy who teaches Tonal harmony at the Open Day and they were less than dynamic. Also their stand was by far the least impressive, with one typed page about the course content and no brochure like all the other departments.

Is it really that bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

sadie06 wrote:
    Also their stand was by far the least impressive, with one typed page about the course content and no brochure like all the other departments.

Though I can't say anything about ucd's music departmentm I wouldn't consider the quality of the prospectus material to be an indication of the quality of the course. I'm pretty sure that the philosophy department only had a typed sheet on the open day, but the course is quality and the lecturers are great.

I see your point pretty*monster but it made me wonder if they haven't got a lot of money at their disposal...

sadie06 wrote:
    I see your point pretty*monster but it made me wonder if they haven't got a lot of money at their disposal...

I'd say they have fúck all money of their own coming in. Music is hardly an area that would attract huge levels of research funding. They're prob supported by reasearch money earned by other departments.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Im in at twelve i think. Oh happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

From hearsay evidence I hear that Music isn't the best at UCD. Suppposedly Maynooth and Trinity are much better. But I know nothing personally.

sadie06 wrote:
    Royale with cheese, I would be interested to hear more of your opinions on the Music department. I have to say I met the Head of the Department and the guy who teaches Tonal harmony at the Open Day and they were less than dynamic. Also their stand was by far the least impressive, with one typed page about the course content and no brochure like all the other departments.

Is it really that bad?

The course isn't that bad, it's the attitude of the department that annoyed me. Really i'm probably exaggerating here. Just a few little things (mainly it's being laughed at when I tell my friends who take other Arts courses how much work I have to do). The Monday 4pm off the timetable lecture really annoyed me. Other little things like having lectures on Arts day (I know it sounds like I'm just lazy and don't want to do any work, and well that's pretty much it), but it was the attitude they gave when telling us they were going to have lectures. BA students have almost as much work to do as BMus students but obviously an entire other subject as well. Also other things like people being shouted at for playing Simon and Garfunkel on the piano in the practice rooms.

If you don't mind doing the extra work then the course is fine, I mean I'm not unhappy with the course just I haven't heard of any other department shoving 2 or 3 extra hours a week in.
    Pythia wrote:
    From hearsay evidence I hear that Music isn't the best at UCD. Suppposedly Maynooth and Trinity are much better. But I know nothing personally.

Yeah pretty much I think Maynooth is top, then Trinity and then UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭staple

irlrobins wrote:
    I'd say they have fúck all money of their own coming in. Music is hardly an area that would attract huge levels of research funding. They're prob supported by reasearch money earned by other departments.

The vast majority of teaching in UCD (including science and applied science) is funded by the government. Relatively little academic activity here (of any kind) is funded by other sources. There is no subsidy of music (or other disciplines) by research earnings in another discipline.

In answer to the original question, you will find second and third year lecture timetables here, which will give you a pretty good idea of what you'll get in Arts. Most subjects try to avoid scheduling tutorials at 9am. Sorry I can't help with first year. http://www.ucd.ie/building/code/rooms.htm

• Advertisement

30% of research funding received by any UCD dept is given to a UCD central fund to be used to fund deptartments/projects with lower levels of funding.

irlrobins wrote:
    30% of research funding received by any UCD dept is given to a UCD central fund to be used to fund deptartments/projects with lower levels of funding.

But thats crazy, no offence anyone in one of those departments, but surely some of those schools dont get funding for a reason - theyre simply not on the same levels of economic or scientific importance as computer software and biosciences for example... I mean research funding is scant enough as it is here.

Back on topic: lectures usually start on the hour(:confused:;) )

But thats crazy, no offence anyone in one of those departments, but surely some of those schools dont get funding for a reason - theyre simply not on the same levels of economic or scientific importance as computer software and biosciences for example...

Yep that's prob true for some of the smaller depts/schools. But if UCD were only to support the depts that were able to bring in large research funding then many of the smaller depts would have to "close". Which would be bad news for people who don't like doing the "popular" subjects..... UCD needs to cater for everyone's interests.

OK sorry if this is a very naive assumption on my part - but do they not already know everything about French literature and Renaissance Art and stuff - I mean the facts are all there, arent they? I think these are important subjects to understand, but for research? Why do all departments have to engage in research funding at all, shouldnt some lecturers be paid just to be teachers?

30% is a huge chunk.

Could write an essay in reply to this. ;)
    - but do they not already know everything about French literature and Renaissance Art and stuff

Yes but there is always the question as to how life today is based on what went before it, and how present attitudes differ from the past etc. While there might not be any world shattering developments in Renaissance Art, I'm sure people would say we don't know everything about it either.
    Why do all departments have to engage in research funding at all, shouldnt some lecturers be paid just to be teachers?
    Well if UCD didn't do researche and lecturers were just teachers as you say then we'd be called the School of Dublin (Dublin). ;-) I suppose a college has dual roles: to learn and to teach.
    30% is a huge chunk.

Yea... to think I could be 30% richer if I didn't have to subsidise some Arts postgrad..... Ah well I suppose I'll be doing that all my life with my tax money paying for his/her social welfare.. (KIDDING!!!!)

Advertisement