Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell PC Format

• 11-01-2006 7:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Having trouble doing a reinstalation on a dell pc. When booting from the cd to reinstall the setup hangs with an error just before the option to install/format the drive etc. tried different disks with no difference. problem is I cant get to a command prompt to run fdisk. I'm gonna whip the drive out and format it with another machine if I cant find a simple solution! I'll paste in the exact error when I get back home.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Sounds odd. What model is it and is your install CD a generic copy of XP or one of the Dell re-install cd's. Also, has the drive been used in this machine before and is it showing up correctly in the bios.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

I've tried both the dell one and a generic one. Same error. I'll have to check the exact model.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Which version of Windows ?
    have you tried the option of going into the recovery console if applicable ?

o.k Its windows XP pro. I took out the HD and reformatted on another PC this evening, refitted and started the re-install again and the same error came up at the same point (!!). the Error reads as follows....
    STOP: c0000221 Unknown Hard Error
    \SystemRoot\System21\ntdll.dll

Any one with any ideas?

I'm gonna try setting the disc up in another mchine and see how that goes.....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Check your bios for a protected bit of the hard drive.

• Advertisement

What I did was.....

Installed a win98se disc to completion and then ran the re-install disc from windows. Its 5 minutes from completion at the moment so I think I'm safe!
    Thanks for all the suggestions......

Advertisement