Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones Marina

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

eoin_s wrote:
    No, we don't see it that way strangely enough, we will leave that to the snobbish attitide of the locals.
    Hey, don't paint us all with the same brush :)

Myself, and many others I know, are very happy to see lots of young families moving into Greystones. And pretty soon all you guys will start having kids ;) which will balance out the village's, imo, ageing population and promote growth, new schools, etc...

Anyways on the subject of the Marina, I would really, really would like one BUT i don't want the high-rise apartments that go with it, so I guess im against it. Still, I would like to see a more scaled-down version of it sometime in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

eoin_s wrote:
    How do you mean people are being asked to come to this thread?

That's how I found this forum! I got an e-mail from an objector to the Marina advising me that this forum has a section in which this issue was being discussed. Nothing sinister ;)

SofaKing wrote:
    Hey, don't paint us all with the same brush :)

Myself, and many others I know, are very happy to see lots of young families moving into Greystones. And pretty soon all you guys will start having kids ;) which will balance out the village's, imo, ageing population and promote growth, new schools, etc...

Anyways on the subject of the Marina, I would really, really would like one BUT i don't want the high-rise apartments that go with it, so I guess im against it. Still, I would like to see a more scaled-down version of it sometime in the future.

I'd agree with that, but Sisk's argument is that the apartments are needed to pay for the refurbishment, which is of course. bo!!ocks!

A smaller scale design that would require only minimal housing and was costed at around €30m. This would restore the harbour without need for any massive building project. Half a kilometre of the beach will be privatised.

The council is acting more for commercial interests than for the people and the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

eoin_s wrote:
    Excellent stuff, the epitome of wit there.

Hey, I didn't come up with the name Tallaghtfornia. Someone else on this thread said "it's known as Little Tallaght" and I just corrected them saying it's actually known to some locals as Tallaghtfornia. Don't shoot the messenger.
    eoin_s wrote:
    No, we don't see it that way strangely enough, we will leave that to the snobbish attitide of the locals.

One thing I have noticed is this pink and fluffy romanticised view that the locals have of Greystones. I love the town, and it did not take long to think of it as my home - but lets be honest about this, it has it's fair share of knackers already there. A load of professional 20-somethings moving into the area is the least of the locals worries.

Just to note, this forum is NOT here to discuss whether Charlesland is an eyesore / blot on the land / boil erupted from the underside of Satan's nut sack, or whatever the locals think. Go the the "East" forum for that, it is not welcome here.

As this development is planned for Greystones and not Charlesland, I believe I should be able to contribute.
    What, is this thread only for people who both live in Charlesland but object to something in Greystones? Or should people who live in Greystones be allowed to comment on a development in their area?

I don't agree that the Apartments should be built but I do agree with the marina. The Harbour has been in an awful state for many years and I believe it would improve the area. I would object to high-rise apartments though as I don't think they will look well in a few years. The standard of building in this country is dropping all the time.

Many people said about Charlesland what you are all saying now about the Marina i.e. that building it is not in keeping with the "village feeling" that Greystones had.

It just stinks of
    "I'm in now but you stay out"

Also, many of the posters here also have a "pink and fluffy romanticised view" of Greystones; calling it "the village" etc (it's not a village, it's a town) Some parts (not to name any) are a dump. It'll just be like Bray in ten years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Sleipnir wrote:
    As this development is planned for Greystones and not Charlesland, I believe I should be able to contribute.
    What, is this thread only for people who both live in Charlesland but object to something in Greystones? Or should people who live in Greystones be allowed to comment on a development in their area?

This forum was petitioned by and created predominantly for Charlesland people. Of course people from surrounding areas are more than welcome to contribute to the forum - however, your post came across as more of an attack on Charlesland than a comment on the marina.

Anyway, did you not think that this forum was ridiculous?
    Sleipnir wrote:
    I don't agree that the Apartments should be built but I do agree with the marina. The Harbour has been in an awful state for many years and I believe it would improve the area. I would object to high-rise apartments though as I don't think they will look well in a few years. The standard of building in this country is dropping all the time.

Many people said about Charlesland what you are all saying now about the Marina i.e. that building it is not in keeping with the "village feeling" that Greystones had.

It just stinks of
    "I'm in now but you stay out"

Also, many of the posters here also have a "pink and fluffy romanticised view" of Greystones; calling it "the village" etc (it's not a village, it's a town) Some parts (not to name any) are a dump. It'll just be like Bray in ten years.

well, at least this is more on topic...

eoin_s wrote:
    Anyway, did you not think that this forum was ridiculous?[/url]

Yes I did. I think a forum about mustard is ridiculous but it's there (and I've probably posted on it!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ccfcexile

Sleipnir wrote:
    Hey, I didn't come up with the name Tallaghtfornia. Someone else on this thread said "it's known as Little Tallaght" and I just corrected them saying it's actually known to some locals as Tallaghtfornia. Don't shoot the messenger.
    Ya but i have a sneaky suspicion that you agree with them in that only the dregs of society live in charlesland :rolleyes: of which i have yet to see any

Anyway, I wouldn't place too much hope on Disk Roche listening to you. I have a story about his which is very telling!

I have a house down an unlit, muddy, stony and puddely laneway which was fine only it gradually got worse over the years so I practially needed a canoe rather than a car. The council said it was public but even so, they were not responsible for upkeep and repair.

I had a visit from Dicky and mentioned the state of the laneway and the councils point of view. He said he'd work on it and I got a letter from him a few weeks later saying he had written to the council etc etc.
    I forgot about it until I got another letter saying that he had set up a meeting with somebody in the council and he would be fighting my cause.
    Oh wait, I forgot to mention that this was an election year!!

The election passed by and I never heard another word from him again. He ignored two letters from me also.

I did get an official FF christmas card from him which would have been nice only I used to get two at the same time. Knowing that this "personal touch" was actually a clerical error forced me to write to his office and ask to be taken off his FF mailing list.

ccfcexile wrote:
    Ya but i have a sneaky suspicion that you agree with them in that only the dregs of society live in charlesland :rolleyes: of which i have yet to see any

I really don't. A good friend of mine bought there.
    I did object to the development but now that it's there, I just hope it works.

• Advertisement

Sleipnir wrote:
    ok fair enough but you seem to give off a negative vibe whenever you post here

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

I wouldnt give up on politicians (ok I was one myself once!). If enough people contact them and demand action they will respond. This worked really well with a previous -even bigger -marina development almost 10 years ago. With an election looming (as there is now) a concerted campaign on potential candidates killed off the thing.

It is very important to tell them exactly what you want them to do. If their reply is anything other than confirmation that they will take the requested action then write back telling them that you are taking that as a no and you will not vote for them. Do that and watch what happens!

Sleipnir wrote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ccfcexile
    Ya but i have a sneaky suspicion that you agree with them in that only the dregs of society live in charlesland of which i have yet to see any

Sounds a bit like "hey I'm not a racist, one of my friends is dark-skinned":)

Anyway back to the topic:

Enough e-mails to Dick Roche will as Fiachra says, with an upcoming election, elicit some sort of response from Roche...they certainly can't hurt.

And regarding Sleipnir's reamark that Greystones Harbour needs this development: A smaller scale design that would require only minimal housing and was costed at around 30m this would restore the harbour without need for any massive building project. Half a kilometre of the beach would be privatised.

Surely you would be more in favour of this option?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 wakejiver

Since when did the grinch who stole dustin the turkey this christmas have a fan club. Wasn't he originally against the smaller marina proposed in the late 90's because it was too big.. and did he not propose a smaller marina himself. This turncoat should be ashamed of himself. As for the tallaghtfornians living down in Charlesland welcome to Greystones and you are all truly welcome as we need younger people in this town.

I consider myself relatively open minded and this marina is horrible and Derek Mitchell and Dick Roche should both be impaled on the anchor that currently adorns the harbour.

P.S. If we can still jump off the harbour these two muppets should hold hands and leap off.

wakejiver wrote:
    Since when did the grinch who stole dustin the turkey this christmas have a fan club. Wasn't he originally against the smaller marina proposed in the late 90's because it was too big.. and did he not propose a smaller marina himself. This turncoat should be ashamed of himself. As for the tallaghtfornians living down in Charlesland welcome to Greystones and you are all truly welcome as we need younger people in this town.

I consider myself relatively open minded and this marina is horrible and Derek Mitchell and Dick Roche should both be impaled on the anchor that currently adorns the harbour.

P.S. If we can still jump off the harbour these two muppets should hold hands and leap off.

The Derek Mitchell Fan Club moniker is sarcasm...if you read his posts! There's not many on here that agree with the Sisk "development" (ironic term, they probably use the same term for the destruction of the rain forests)
    so let's make sure we lett all relevant authorities know this As Soon As Possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 moxyfilms

Please, send in letters of objection, even if you signed a petition. Here's the link to a sample.

http://www.greystonesmarina.com/staticpages/index.php?page=objection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 buildmarina

happy days here comes the marina
    look what they are offering
    5 yes 5 brand new state of the art club houses
    better and safer facilities for young adults to do water based leisure activities
    new coast guard station
    17 acre public park
    new beach
    new cafe's and restaurants
    board walks
    modern facilities for all to enjoy
    marina
    this is for young people to enjoy who wants to stop it
    are they tiried washed out old milliomaires who want to keep Greystones a retirment home
    who are these poeple rory fallon and evelwyn cawaly where do they live why do they want to stop people enjoying themselves
    why are they so against something that will bring a breath of frash air to Greystones
    Fair play to Derek Mitchell and the others who are fighting for this, it is time Greystones came out of its time warp and into the 21st century
    young poeple of Greystones demand this Marina email an brod pleanalla at bord@pleanala.ie and tell them you need and want it. I do and i did

why dont you take that anchor and jump off the pier your self lap dog wakejiver can you think for yourself
    tell the truth muppet

your obviously posting with an agenda , are you posting on behalf of omeone maybe :rolleyes:

did anyone see the stickers that came with the wicklow times today that said build the marina

ccfcexile wrote:
    your obviously posting with an agenda , are you posting on behalf of omeone maybe :rolleyes:

did anyone see the stickers that came with the wicklow times today that said build the marina

"buildmarina" seems like a real bright spark!! I wonder does his mother know he's on the internet :D

No CC, didn't see the stickers, but I got similar in my door, again without any indication as to who was promoting the "build the marina" side of the argument, so it is doesn't take a brain surgeon to guess what self-motivated individuals are behind them .

Quote Buildmarina "who wants to stop it are they tiried washed out old milliomaires who want to keep Greystones a retirment home"

Alright CC, I'm tiried from counting my millioms, so off to bed !

• Advertisement

why dont you take that anchor and jump off the pier your self lap dog wakejiver can you think for yourself
    tell the truth muppet

There is no problem with debating something intelligently here, but personal abuse is very strictly against the boards.ie rules. Any more, and you are banned from this forum.

Folks, don't encourage him either! - Use the "report post" report.gif button to report any posts you think are inappropriate

wakejiver wrote:

eoin how come you find this type of muck ok are you just a very bias person
    come on tell the truth if you can

every one has a vested interest even if it is only a view
    encourage me are you afraid of fair and open debate

young people of Greystones want this Marina go and ask them or are you to old

valerie wrote:
    I think the marina will be great for Greystones its about time we moved with
    the times.

I think you are right let have some fun things to do a great place to hang,
    meet people without having to go to the pub
    be healty get out there let have a proper harbour with lots of new people

Apip99 wrote:
    I have just been looking at the proposed plans for Greystones Mariana, and shocked to say the least. It looks like something that belongs on the Cast-Del-Crime!

I know that development is needed. I live in Delgany Wood, and I know that there were huge objections to our estate, and also to Charles land. But that was housing, that was badly needed. A now, good friend of mine was on the committee to stop the building of our estate. He now see's the benefits of it. (Street lighting etc) But I see no benefit in changing the Greystones village into a Mariana on the scale they are proposing.

Have a look for yourself and see what you think. There is a sample letter on the site, so please if you don't want to see the village chage for every print it of and send it in.

http://www.greystonesmarina.com/

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Oh and Thanks Eoin_S for getting the Greystones/Charlesland forum up and running. Shame you forgot us up in Delgany :(
    why do you keep sending the same message over and over again are you tring to tell us something did you forget you already told us before

I think you are right let have some fun things to do a great place to hang,
    meet people without having to go to the pub
    be healty get out there let have a proper harbour with lots of new people

Awww Bless !

The Lime wrote:
    Most people don't want it in Greystones.I think a prefered location would be Kilcoole.The level of the sea is also very low here and theres plenty of room.If you extend the Dart line to kilcoole it would be used by commuters and boat owners. It would also develop the village.Kilcoole is not well known as Greystones and a Mariana could help the businesses
    do you know anything about harbours or the sea it not a shopping centre they want to build you may just as well said build it in roundwood they need business to

Marcais wrote:
    Awww Bless !

AWWWW THANKS

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

young people of Greystones want this Marina
    Why do you think this?

There's a petition going around the town to oppose the Marina. Lots of young people are signing it.

eoin how come you find this type of muck ok are you just a very bias person
    come on tell the truth if you can

I am talking about personal abuse directed towards other posters. Last warning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

tell the truth muppet

Is there anyway of incorporating software to force punctuation in peoples comments.
    My young brain has difficulty in reading long sentences without ANY punctuation.
    It comes across as repetitive mumbles!

On a more serious note, I believe the majority of people are only opposed to the marina because of the sheer size of it. I personally would look forward to any updated look to the marina, but the Miami Vice approach is simply offensive to look at.

If you’re in anyway seriously interested in opinions on the marina, place your vote on the below thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054881601

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement