Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones Marina

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

valerie wrote:
    pass the buck you mean!! why do some people in Greystones go up in arms as soon as a development MIGHT take place??they objected to Dunnes stores
    to lidl even to the dart.Just because something might devalue their homes,sure look at Charlesland it is known as Little Tallaght already.Surely
    having a marina will up the house prices bring in employment.The harbour is in
    an awful state and has deterioated.

Yeah, took the words out of my mouth. NIMBY!!

Back in the 80's the plans for the Marina were all the rage, as Greystones had no DART at the time and the Marina was going to be in effect a maritime version of Greystones Rugby Club for the North End of things.

However, the entire scene has changed massively, people have been able to afford berths elsewhere, and now the attitude is "well let it hump off elsewhere" A Greystonian berthing in Dun Laoghaire or Howth and then swanning back hime when it suits him is a bit like a fella slinking home to his wife but only after he's given the Secretary a bit of a seeing too.

Personally I don't draw such a strong connection between mundane housing developments such as Charlesland and the development of a Marina, but certain elements of Greystones are a bit worried that [pardon the pun] the rising tide as lifted too many boats into their area and that a marina would not be the exclusive little number it could have been back in the late 80's. Ergo lets hump it off elsewhere.

Maybe I'm wrong, and I do agree that the Chav element of Greystones is both on the rise and a pain in the ass, but lumping the marina onto Kilcooles shoulders is a bit rich at this late stage- especially when Greystoners will be happy that it keeps them sweet whilst allowing them to keep Greystones exclusive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

IT Loser wrote:
    Yeah, took the words out of my mouth. NIMBY!!

Back in the 80's the plans for the Marina were all the rage, as Greystones had no DART at the time and the Marina was going to be in effect a maritime version of Greystones Rugby Club for the North End of things.

However, the entire scene has changed massively, people have been able to afford berths elsewhere, and now the attitude is "well let it hump off elsewhere" A Greystonian berthing in Dun Laoghaire or Howth and then swanning back hime when it suits him is a bit like a fella slinking home to his wife but only after he's given the Secretary a bit of a seeing too.

Personally I don't draw such a strong connection between mundane housing developments such as Charlesland and the development of a Marina, but certain elements of Greystones are a bit worried that [pardon the pun] the rising tide as lifted too many boats into their area and that a marina would not be the exclusive little number it could have been back in the late 80's. Ergo lets hump it off elsewhere.

Maybe I'm wrong, and I do agree that the Chav element of Greystones is both on the rise and a pain in the ass, but lumping the marina onto Kilcooles shoulders is a bit rich at this late stage- especially when Greystoners will be happy that it keeps them sweet whilst allowing them to keep Greystones exclusive.

I think both you and Valerie are stuck in the eighties! Bringing employment to the area! This is not 1984, unemploymnet is at an all time low...you can't even find a tradesman to do a small job when you need one, so that's a complete non-argument.!

itloser is under the impression that most people objecting to this €300m marina are inependently wealthy boat owners with "berths" in Dun Laoighre, ignoring the fact that a majority of the Charlesland chavs living in this mundane housing are against the marina. You picked up on one users suggestion that the marina is built in Kilcoole, as if it is something that is being touted by any other objectors, no one else has suggested this and most don't care if no marina is built.

Neither have any of you pro-Marina individuals addressed the compromise of a smaller marina, a €30m development which many are in favour of, so your NIMBY "argument" is not relevant. This compromise also deals with all of Valeries "arguments" .

Please remember in continuing this topic that a COMPROMISE PLAN, A
    €30m PLAN IS ON THE TABLE and address why this is not acceptable to those in favour of the current plans
    because it looks like you are ignoring this.

ps. make sure to vote in the poll "Meeting 31st January"

Just incase it escaped you....I am in favour of the Marina. What I am dismissing are attempts to get the Marina stopped on flimsy ill-defined grounds such as "OH..Uh....Kilcoole..Eh....Too big...." etc. That said I don't think railroad jobs should be made welcome in Greystones- if theres a genuine issue vis a vis the spatial viability of the project then fine. God knows there is no shortage of politicians to deal with it.

Oh and by the way I grew up in Newtown to two unemployed parents and 5 siblings in the 1980's..trust me its not a period I want to get "stuck in". Ta.

If didn't escape me ITLoser that you are in favour of the marina.

What's "flimsy" about objecting to the marina because of the scale of the project? That is my main objection in that it will take away from the "old town" charm, and for people living beside the harbour, this is expounded. Their view over the harbour is now obstructed. I wouldn't call having something you've appreciated all of your life, suddenly being taken away as flimsy?

• Advertisement

In the famous words of Winston Churchill

We shall fight them for the harbour, we shall fight them for the beaches, we shall fight them for the fields, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, these beaches, this harbour or a large part of it are surrendered to the developers we shall continue to fight !.

PRESS STATEMENT ON GREYSTONES HARBOUR

The Labour Party Opposes Inappropriate Harbour Scheme

“We must preserve and protect what is unique about our area, while allowing for the proper planning and development of our communities. The current proposed development at the harbour is of such a scale that it ignores the wishes of the community and will damage a core amenity.” (Labour Party Manifesto, Greystones and Wicklow Co. Council elections, June 2004)

Wicklow County Council in conjunction with a development company, SISPAR, is planning a major marina development at the harbour in Greystones. The plan, which involves the compulsory acquisition of 40 acres of foreshore, includes 375 apartments as well as retail space, coastal protection works, a public park and community club facilities.

While there is consensus in Greystones that the harbour needs to be refurbished, it is no surprise, given the scale of the proposed project that many local residents object strongly.

The apartments, in blocks of up to 4 storeys high, will destroy the appearance of the harbour area. Wicklow County Council's own Environmental Impact Statement confirms this. “The proposed development will have a profound impact on the existing character of the area… The impacts on views arising from the development will be profound, and negative”

There are also major traffic implications of such a large scheme. Previous traffic studies commissioned by Wicklow County Council concluded that because of the restricted road network, no more than 200 housing units should be included in any development.

Deputy Liz Mc Manus T.D. has stated that the scale of the proposed marina development in Greystones is unacceptable.

“I believe the Community of Greystones is united in its desire to see the restoration of their neglected harbour. Likewise they welcome the improved facilities for local clubs and the Coastguard which the current proposal contains. However they are not prepared to accept the scale of development included in these proposals. The plans go well beyond the remit of restoring the harbour and providing improved facilities for the boating community. The proposals will diminish the appearance of Greystones forever and create major traffic problems in the town. The reasons offered by Wicklow County Council for not considering more modest proposals are not acceptable. We have a great opportunity to create something of lasting value in Greystones but it must have the community’s support.”

Labour’s Public Representatives have consistently opposed this development.

“It is quite clear to me that the community are opposed to this development. Greystones harbour needs refurbishment but no project should proceed unless it can be demonstrated that it has the support of the majority of the community.” (CllrTom Fortune WCC)

“Greystones cannot cope with the traffic this development will generate. It will almost inevitably lead to a road down Bray Head. Then we will have not only lost our harbour area to commercial development but we could lose Bray Head too.”
    (Cllr Margaret O’Callaghan Greystones TC)

Liz Mc Manus T.D. has written to the Minister for the Environment, Dick Roche T.D. advising him of the Labour Party’s intention to pursue in Dail Eireann the national implications of offering precious public amenities to private developers in breach of the wishes of local communities. “There are many concerns that a public beach is being compulsory purchased and handed over to private commercial development. This can be setting a precedent where a public authority quite clearly unduly favours private interests over the public good and the implications are very serious. Public beaches belong to the whole community. They should not be sold off for commercial development. If this is done against the wishes of the community, it sets a very dangerous precedent for the foreshore of the whole country.”

Objections MUST be lodged with Bord Pleanála by 15th February. There is NO fee for lodging your objection.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

IT Loser wrote:
    Oh and by the way I grew up in Newtown to two unemployed parents and 5 siblings in the 1980's..trust me its not a period I want to get "stuck in". Ta.

Any of us who are suitably elderly will have experienced unemployemnt in the 80's and would agree we would not like to go back there!

However this development is not about creating employement. According to the developers EIS there are 190 unemployed people in Greystones. This is well below the national average.
    This development is about a construction company making a big profit at the expense of the community of Greystones. It is also about Wicklow County Council refusing to compromise. We could have most of the facilities which our "buildmarina" friend referred to without having to thrash the whole North Beach area.

An Bord Pleanala have confirmed the following:

Dear Sir,

An e-mail is sufficent in relation to the Greystones Development.
    Please also include your name and Address.

Regards
    Siobhan White

i.e. A signature is not required, you can lodge your objection by e-mail.

bord@pleanala.ie

You may want to simply complete the form located at www.greystonesmarina.com and attach it to your e-mail.

It would be a good idea to add the e-mail link to the GPDA site.

Fiachra2 wrote:
    Any of us who are suitably elderly will have experienced unemployemnt in the 80's and would agree we would not like to go back there!

However this development is not about creating employement. According to the developers EIS there are 190 unemployed people in Greystones. This is well below the national average.
    This development is about a construction company making a big profit at the expense of the community of Greystones. It is also about Wicklow County Council refusing to compromise. We could have most of the facilities which our "buildmarina" friend referred to without having to thrash the whole North Beach area.

On most of this I am in agreement- most Irish or Irish based construction companies couldn't build a good case of haemhorids much less anything that looks good or handsome. They can' build in a curve and have no imagination. They kill upwards of 20 men a year and have the audacity to tell you that the 50 quid in your backburner is thanks to them. Screw em! I'm all for putting manners on them and their ilk. As for Wicklow County Council- theres an election in 18 months. Make the Marina an election issue in Wicklow NE. Let Mildred Fox, Dickless Roche and the utterly useless Champagne Red Liz McManus get off their arses and petition ABP and WCC on OUR behalves.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jellybaby21

I think you are all living in the past, have none of you seen the state of the harbour??? Its also a haven for underage drinking. I personally think the marina is a great idea and I am all for it. The harbour at the moment is a horrible sight and we are in the year 2006..... do you people not like change???

• Advertisement

JellyBaby, like most in favour of this development you haven't taken the time to note thE following (which is why I posted this in BOLD above)
    Please remember in continuing this topic that a COMPROMISE PLAN, A
    €30m PLAN IS ON THE TABLE and address why this is not acceptable to those in favour of the current plans
    because it looks like you are ignoring this.

The compromise plan would negate the "points" you try to make. For more details, read the posts above on the topic.

I think you are all living in the past, have none of you seen the state of the harbour??? Its also a haven for underage drinking. I personally think the marina is a great idea and I am all for it. The harbour at the moment is a horrible sight and we are in the year 2006..... do you people not like change???

This is unfortunately a matter of taste. If you visit Gerry Sandford's shop you will find quite a number of photographs which capture what he and others see as the beauty of the harbour. Likewise those who produced the Greystones calander this year saw fit to include several harbour pictures. Would they have done this if it was a "horrible sight"?
    Given this difference of opinion, the last correspondent was quite correct. Why not compromise and support a proposal which deals with the aspects of the harbour which you find unpleasant, while not destroying the aspects which appeal to others.

Also I dont mean to be patronising but I dont think you should expect a marina to solve underage drinking. That is a parenting and policing matter.

Fiachra2 wrote:
    This is unfortunately a matter of taste. If you visit Gerry Sandford's shop you will find quite a number of photographs which capture what he and others see as the beauty of the harbour. Likewise those who produced the Greystones calander this year saw fit to include several harbour pictures. Would they have done this if it was a "horrible sight"?
    Given this difference of opinion, the last correspondent was quite correct. Why not compromise and support a proposal which deals with the aspects of the harbour which you find unpleasant, while not destroying the aspects which appeal to others.

Also I dont mean to be patronising but I dont think you should expect a marina to solve underage drinking. That is a parenting and policing matter.

And, housing developers Durkan etc. use the harbour not as a supplement for advertising their housing, but almost as the main feature of their advertising: www.DurkanLovesThe Harbour.com

"The unspoilt coastal town of Greystones, once a few fishermen’s cottages, a harbour and a coast guard station,now one of the east coast’s most desirable places to live. Unconventional, yet very traditional,
    Greystones simply offers the best of everything."

Displaying a surprisingly good taste in harbours for a developer, because they have no taste in marinas!
    :confused:

Thank you everyone who turned up in the Rugby club last night. A very clear message was sent to Greystones Town Council and more importantly, Dick Roche, that the residents of Greystones wont tolerate this development.

I think everyone had an enjoyable night as well. And we made the Irish Times two days in a row!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

Fiachra,

It was a good turn-out last night but could have been stronger. There is so much apathy in Ireland and especially in Greystones to developments like this. People just seemed resigned to letting it happen. I'm not sure what the entire population of Greystones is exactly but I'd imagine it to be circa 12,000 or so. Really, we need 4 or 5,000 to show their support against this. I'd like to know what residents of Redford, Rathdown and La Touche Park feel about the hassle of trying to exit their estates when trucks are constantly screaming by. Are they aware of this ?. What steps have been taken to advise them ?. I have to say I was only aware of the meeting last night through friends of mine. I didn't come across any pre-publicity about it. I recognise and admire the work the GPDA is doing but feel not enough people in the town are fully aware of the many negative consequences of the scale of this development. An effort in the coming days should be made to reach as many people as possible.
    On another note, which bank is handling the contributions for the consultancy fees ?.

Fiachra2 wrote:

Good point. It reminds me of a time when a Court judge, in telling a local thug that " he had a head like a mallet" sent the said youngster to the local GAA club to get himself sorted out. Interestingly, nobody asked the GAA club what they thought of taking the guy on board.

Similarly, spending bazillions on a monstrosity of a harbour is NOT going to solve UA drinking- as a matter of fact it might increase it, by giving yobs the sort of half-built haven they like to congregate in whilst the project is under construction.

Joliegood wrote:
    Fiachra,

It was a good turn-out last night but could have been stronger. There is so much apathy in Ireland and especially in Greystones to developments like this. People just seemed resigned to letting it happen. I'm not sure what the entire population of Greystones is exactly but I'd imagine it to be circa 12,000 or so. Really, we need 4 or 5,000 to show their support against this. I'd like to know what residents of Redford, Rathdown and La Touche Park feel about the hassle of trying to exit their estates when trucks are constantly screaming by. Are they aware of this ?. What steps have been taken to advise them ?. I have to say I was only aware of the meeting last night through friends of mine. I didn't come across any pre-publicity about it. I recognise and admire the work the GPDA is doing but feel not enough people in the town are fully aware of the many negative consequences of the scale of this development. An effort in the coming days should be made to reach as many people as possible.
    On another note, which bank is handling the contributions for the consultancy fees ?.

After 10 years in and around local politics I can assure you that any cause that can get 400+ peolple into a room just a couple of weeks after getting 200 odd down to a quiz has huge support! On the doorsteps we are getting about 80% support and less than 10% in favour of the development.

However you are right that despite massive publicity there is still a chunk of the population who dont know about the development or dont appreciate its impact. The main thing for everyone to do is try and tell as many people as possible about it. If you want to explain it simply ask them to look at www.buildtheharbournow.com This is a very quick way to get the idea!

If you go to greystonesmarina.com there are bank details and a totally secure online donation facility.

If anyone has concerns please tell them that we will publish details of where we spend the money

NB one of the reasons its hard to publicise events is that people such as our "buildmarina" correspondent keep tearing down any posters we put up.

By the way, the Labour Party is against EVERYTHING. So the fact that they are against this means nought to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Milkman

Ah the long awaited Marina..

I grew up in the 'stones, and my parentts still live there.
    It has always been a slighty run down, yet beautiful place. There have been plans to build a marina there since my folks moved ther 30 years ago.

One of the biggest attractions of Greystones has always been the north beach, Yes, I know there is a lovely south beach as well, but
    Its the nth beach that is unique, set in the shadow of bray head and with a lovely view up to the mountains. It is an aminity that is used by all ages.

I saw the digital plans for the new Marina and I was shocked, sickened and apalled that this could go ahead in its current form.

If you look at similar schemes in the Med, the original harbour is always left. The Old harbour, with the small innner coal harbour is a treasure. It is the heart of Greystones.
    Wthout this harbour there would be no Greystones. And the developers propose to knock it down and build a private one in the marina.

MAKE NO MISTAKE THE MARINA WILL BE PRIVATE. THERE WILL BE NO ACCESS FOR THE PUBLIC.

no matter what the marketing nonsence says, no marina, anywhere in the world, with boats worth hundreds of thousands will allow public access

It is not the development that I object to. It is the blatant way that the developers have effectively removed access to the beach for the public.

They are destroying the heritage of greystones and replaceing it with a swish, private, exclusive developemnt that ONLY benefits the few.
    This makes me sick, not only this, but the way the Wicklow County council have Ok'd it is beyond belief.

I am not against the marina and appartment developement onlong the north beach. I am against the way in which they have been planned.
    The old harbour MUST be left. The apparments must be set back so that ALL the public have acess to the north beach.

We cannot allow greed to take one of our beautiful public resources and effectivly make it a haven for the priviliged few.

Now, I'm sure people will agree and disagree with some of what I am saying. But in a nut shell:
    • Leave the old harbour alone
    • Move the marina down a few hundred meters.
    • Split the Appartments and marina develpoment by moving the appartments back from the caost and allow the public access raod in front of the appartments, not behind.

Not too much to ask. Keeps the developers happy. Allows full access to the complete north beach for the public.

Ensures that the beautiful recource is not lost to the privilaged private appartment owner. Once it is built on, it is gone forever

Ahh, urge to kill fading!
    M.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

Can see the positives and negatives to both sides here, so I will steer clear of the more rabid right and left wing arguments and ask the question - What would YOU do to the Harbour given the choice? Be original and don`t say "Build the Marina" or "Leave it as is". Think about it, put it on the thread and stop trying to outdo each other with rhetoric and Churchill comments...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

daveco23 wrote:
    Can see the positives and negatives to both sides here, so I will steer clear of the more rabid right and left wing arguments and ask the question - What would YOU do to the Harbour given the choice? Be original and don`t say "Build the Marina" or "Leave it as is". Think about it, put it on the thread and stop trying to outdo each other with rhetoric and Churchill comments...

There is actually a 3rd option, not too sure if it is in this thread, or another one. As I understand it, plans for a smaller marina have been submitted and shot down, but it would seem to be a compromise...

eoin_s wrote:
    There is actually a 3rd option, not too sure if it is in this thread, or another one. As I understand it, plans for a smaller marina have been submitted and shot down, but it would seem to be a compromise...

Details of the compromise proposal are available on www.greystonesmarina.com

It wasnt so much shot down as completely ignored by Wicklow County Council.

Incidentally I think there are very few who would want to leave it as it is. The harbour is deteriorating so we do have to do something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bikeman

Greystones is a gem of a seaside village. The apartment blocks in this development though seem like a pre-packed shrink-wrapped design that is appropriate to dockland or industrial redevelopment. There is no reference in the design to the context into which they are being "dragged-and-dropped". I don't know what the architect's remit was but as far as I can tell they do not develop in a positive way the existing theme in Greytones which is a traditional Edwardian seaside fishing village. Rather they rudely impose themselves on the surrounding environment and in the process shut the area off from the wider community. There's no room to breathe here!!!

Surely the promotors can come up with a more fitting way to introduce 300+ dwellings into this environment. Please leave the Ikea architecture to the greenfield and rustbelt renewal sites.

By the way I am in favour of redevelopment in general, but please make it inclusive of the wider community......

There's not many who would disagree with any of that Bikeman, including at least 80% of Greystones. We have now to make sure to get as many people beyond Greystones are made aware of these issues. The template e-mail under http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054885508 should be sent to as many people as possible and as soon as possible.

This was posted on the forum at www.greystonesmarina.com and is more than pertinent to this development. I would suggest that this is put to them.

"Here are some quotes from An Board Pleanala (taken from The Irish Times) giving their reasons why they turned down a large development on Beaver Row in Donnybrook. They are very relevant to the proposed development on the beach.......... how about using Bord Pleanala's words in your letter of objection??

"It would be excessively visually prominent in the wider setting and would seriously injure the visual and residential amenities of the area"

"This scheme would represent significant over development and generate more traffic on roads which are heavily trafficked (at peak times) and which are sub-standard. The proposed development could tend to create serious traffic congestion, could endanger public safety and would therefore be contrary to the proper planning and sustainable development in the area."

The excessive height, scale, bulk and mass of this development would be unsympathetic to its setting and inconsistent with the established pattern of development in the vicinity. It would have an adverse visual impact on the overall neighbourhood."

We've got until Tuesday to get as much support as we can. There's a walk tomorrow beginning 11:30 at the bustop in the harbour, all are welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭familyguy

I am a Greystones resident and have been all my life. I am in favour of the harbour development proposed by Sispar. I was also in favour of the massive developments in the Charlesland area. As eoin_s stated, it's hard to have it both ways: Move into the town's largest ever development, and then object to this proposed harbour development.

Contrary to some people's beliefs, the harbour development is not only supported by rich, elderly residents. Harbour Users of Greystones (HUGS), a group that support the proposed development, is made up of a number of local groups including Greystones Rowing Club (with a traditional working-class background), Greystones Ridge Angling Club, Greystones Sea Scouts and the local unit of the Irish Coast Guard.

On a seperate note, maybe the mispelt 'Marina' in the thread's title could be corrected?

EDIT: Typo has now been corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

familyguy wrote:
    I am a Greystones resident and have been all my life. I am in favour of the harbour development proposed by Sispar. I was also in favour of the massive developments in the Charlesland area. As eoin_s stated, it's hard to have it both ways: Move into the town's largest ever development, and then object to this proposed harbour development.

Contrary to some people's beliefs, the harbour development is not only supported by rich, elderly residents. Harbour Users of Greystones (HUGS), a group that support the proposed development, is made up of a number of local groups including Greystones Rowing Club (with a traditional working-class background), Greystones Ridge Angling Club, Greystones Sea Scouts and the local unit of the Irish Coast Guard.

On a seperate note, maybe the mispelt 'Marina' in the thread's title could be corrected?

Typo corrected :)

I didn't realise the scale of the development when I first wrote that post, and also didn't know a smaller solution had been submitted.

To be honest, if I were to pick the worst point for me about the new development, it's that a public beach is being sold. I really can't believe that this is not one of the loudest points coming across.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭sportbilly

OK so the north beach is being sold but in fairness it's never been all that pretty. All the clubs that use the north beach are in favour of the development.

Besides them people generally only use it for walking, which will be facilitated in the new scheme with the public park and so forth.

The south beach is a far nicer beach and the cove and the Men's are both there for swimming from. Noboby ever really swims in the harbour/north beach area anyway. The only time I swam there was to do a swimming test in the scouts and then diving of the harbour wall when the mens was silted up after storms.

Yeah, that typo was grinding on me a bit too, but not as much as on poor 'aul Mariana, I think she's moved out.

re. occupants of Charlesland not being entitled to voice objection to the Marina (whatever about Mariana), that's not even worthy of address! what's the logic? You bought a house in a devlopment that others objected to THEREFORE:rolleyes: Who are you to object to 375 luxury apartments, a car park, a private marina and 6,400m sq. of commercial units in the centre of your town? Regarding "the sale of the beach"...pro-marina would say that they are not selling the beach as it will revert back to the Council....yes...except the beach is underneath a car park!!

ps. "Greystones Community Group" might be interested in this to keep teenagers of the streets, as their glossy pamplets promoted :)

http://www.channel4.com/news/content/news-storypage.jsp?id=299142

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭familyguy

Marcais wrote:
    Yeah, that typo was grinding on me a bit too, but not as much as on poor 'aul Mariana, I think she's moved out.

re. occupants of Charlesland not being entitled to voice objection to the Marina (whatever about Mariana), that's not even worthy of address! what's the logic? You bought a house in a devlopment that others objected to THEREFORE:rolleyes: Who are you to object to 375 luxury apartments, a car park, a private marina and 6,400m sq. of commercial units in the centre of your town? Regarding "the sale of the beach"...pro-marina would say that they are not selling the beach as it will revert back to the Council....yes...except the beach is underneath a car park!!

ps. "Greystones Community Group" might be interested in this to keep teenagers of the streets, as their glossy pamplets promoted :)

http://www.channel4.com/news/content/news-storypage.jsp?id=299142
    I'm not saying Charlesland residents shouldn't have a say, just saying they should be mindful about how it might look to others. I didn't object to the Charlesland developments, and I live nearby.

I did think the whole keeping the youths off the streets thing was a bit vague. I think they meant that the youths would get involved in the clubs and societies, etc, but the way it was put made it sound like the marina would be like a magnet, drawing teens toward it with it's modern facilities.

• Advertisement

At least 6,500 objections have been received by An Bord Pleanala. :D That is huge if you think that the total population of Greystones, Delgany etc. is 12,000 to 15,000 (say 13,500) which includes children under 18 (not eligible to submit objections).

Assuming a conservative estimate of 35% of the population as under 18, we're left with 6,500/8,775 = 75% AGAINST.

I expected a higher percent, but this should be sufficient to get the message across to politicians etc. I trust they are listening or those council seats may not be too comfortable in 18 months time, when 900,00 tons of material is being transported in two minute intervals through Greystones and the town is under a cloud of dust! The electorate are notorious for voting based on the "here and now".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement