Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Meteor - My Gripe

• 11-01-2006 11:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭

I was in bed last night and couldn't sleep. So I decided to play some games on my phone. I went on to the Meteor wap site. (I know I should just bluetooth them over for free but I was in bed and didn't want to go downstairs)

For those of you that don't know its free to browse the Meteor wap site if you are looking at things you can buy, ringtones,games etc. They go out of their way to let you know this. Its on luas ads and it tells you when your on the wap site .

So I browse around and saw two games, each was €5. I thought thats a rip off but I thought f*ck it, this one time I'll buy them.

Whilst downloading california games the connection was lost twice. The the third time it successfully completed.

I checked my balance afterward, the whole thing cost me ~€20 :eek: So I ring up and find oput that you get charged to download the game aswell!!!

So for california games to download I got charged for that 90kb it downloaded first then got cut off (not my fault...meteors) then I get charged for the second attempt to download it (can't remember how much I download...again meteors fault) and then finally I get the game and get charged the 190kb download + the €5!!!!!

To put it mildly I'm disgruntled! Its a complete rip off. Meteor advertise that it costs €5 in their *free* section of their wap site. The GPRS charge is completely hidden.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm tempted to complain about this, not to Meteor because I've been on the phone to them twice. Someone like comreg (they would prob care less!) or the advertising standards authority.

Is that excessive over €10 in hidden charges?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

It's the new year, perhaps now is a good time to revaluate your life priorities.

I suggest counting sheep. It's cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

tbh in this day and age everyone show know gprs costs money. 3c a kilobyte to be precise

http://www.meteor.ie/makethemove/callcost_tables.html
    Meteor wrote:
    GPRS WAP
    Price per KB
    WAP Usage----3c
    (includes browsing, downloading etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'd ring customer care over that. AFAIK, you should only get charged the 5euro. You'll get money back from failed attempts too, as long as you push it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

tbh in this day and age everyone show know gprs costs money. 3c a kilobyte to be precise

I'm well aware that GPRS costs money, my problem is that it was in the section of their website that is advertised as free and they didn't (at least I didn't see anything) inform me that the download is not included in the €5.

Am I really off the mark here complaining? No one else thinks its wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I said to ring Customer Care. It could be a technical problem with the billing. You should not get billed for those free sections.

Did you actually ring Customer Care or did you just complain here and hope people agree with you? Not very proactive. You will get your money back if you talk to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

You should just write them a complaint letter, a letter sent to them would be taken alot more seriously than a phonecall. Also, they'll be sympathetic to the fact your initial download was unsuccessful. Just try not to sound like a c*nt in the letter, at the end of the day you still want them to refund you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Yeh this happened to me aswell. They gave me the money back.

I think their annoyed with me at the moment though because they put a international barring thing on my phone so i couldn't send messages to thailand (without telling me). Everytime i send a message it comes back saying failed straight away but they still charge me for the message. So everytime i get a failed message i ring them up and ask for my 9c back! and I'm going to keep doing this until they take the barring off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Meteor also misbilled for some of the 'Bank Holidays' over the christmas but at the full rate, Anyone who made a call on the 26th and 27th Dec should check what they were charged.

Funny how their billing has degenerated since they were taken over :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

orla wrote:
    Everytime i send a message it comes back saying failed straight away but they still charge me for the message. So everytime i get a failed message i ring them up and ask for my 9c back! and I'm going to keep doing this until they take the barring off.

Orla you're my kinda girl!!!

I've got finals at the moment so I'm gonna let this one go. I hate getting mischarged for stuff and I have been done so on several occasions by Meteor.
    Usually in the form of charging me for a a text that should have been free.

BTW I called them twice about the issue on two separate days before posting here. The girls that answered were very plesant to talk to but unfortunately did nothing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Does anyone have a problem with Meotor Coverage.

I bought a fone for the gf at christmas on the meotor network, i thought that we would get value of the free txt thing but the coverage is really bad. I thought they said that they had most of the country covered.

Covered my arse....

Back to Vodafone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

No problem with their coverage at all, I find thier coverage the bset out of the 3 (I mean 4) networks.
    I travel all over Leinster, so I don't know what it's like elsewhere though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Gaming on phones isn't really worth it at all unless you have a Symbian device.

I used to play Doom 2, Carmageddon, Duke Nukem 3d and much more on my 6630, it's as good as a Nintendo DS visual wise really with certain games.

Unless you live in Ballymacbackside Meteor Coverage is grand generally speaking. I've never had any issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Gaming on phones isn't really worth it at all unless you have a Symbian device.

I used to play Doom 2, Carmageddon, Duke Nukem 3d and much more on my 6630, it's as good as a Nintendo DS visual wise really with certain games.

Unless you live in Ballymacbackside Meteor Coverage is grand generally speaking. I've never had any issues.

where did you get those games? im looking for some stuff for my 6680

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

where did you get those games? im looking for some stuff for my 6680

The 6680 is a dodgey one, alot of the older stuff especially isn't 100% compatiable ,with regards to games in sis format (all the proper 3d games are sis format)

However the latest version of C2Doom is fully working with the 6680. Once you have that freeware program (google it), all you have to do is add your own wad files to your memory card and it'll execute them. Currently working:

Doom
    Doom 2
    Heretic
    Hexen
    Counter Strike
    Twilight Warrior
    Quake II

There are rakes more supported as well.

Advertisement