Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Interest Rates - 0.15% hike?

• 11-01-2006 11:42am

....just got letter from B of I saying they've upped my variable mortgage to 3.75%. Seems a tad high. I'd leave them in the morning if I got a better rate. Anyone know one?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

well rates went up 0.25 so doesn't sound like a big rise but you are on a high rate, should move to a tracker imo, everyone does them pretty much now, mine is at 3.35% with aib after the rate rise..

Thanks davey.

Time to phone my friendly bank manager...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

My tracker is at 3.2% at the moment (ECB of 2.25 + .95)
    I got that from Bank of Ireland.
    The rate they quote you will depend on a number of factors- including-

Mortgage to a max of 4.5 times joint salaries
    Mortgage (for this rate) must be 60% or less than the equity value in the house
    Both borrowers (presuming its two) must be in fulltime permanent employment (no contract work) but overtime/travel claims etc will be factored towards the 4.5times salary sum

The very best rate available that I have found (which unfortunately I did not qualify for) is a tracker of ECB +.85% from Bank of Scotland (Ireland).

Do look around- you should have no major probs getting 3.25/3.3% quotes.

Thanks for that. If it saves me a few bob, I owe you a cyber pint...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

NIB also do a tracker which can be under 1% over base rate and will fund a move from your existing bank . a 0.95% tracker implies LTV under 60% am I right ????

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sponge Bob wrote:
    NIB also do a tracker which can be under 1% over base rate and will fund a move from your existing bank . a 0.95% tracker implies LTV under 60% am I right ????
    Yes, LTV of 60% or lower. Probably rules out first time buyers unfortunately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

trackers are not typically offered at less than 80% LTV by many lenders, being more of a remortgage option once you have some equity.

if you hassle your current lender into a tracker from a variable its well worth it and free as it is not a remortgage per se. Ring em up and threaten to move elsewhere unless its a spanking new 100% mortgage .

Everyone I know who did so got their tracker rate , usually the same day verbally , and with a small piece of paper to sign and return by post within a week. I got a 1% over base that way meself which was the easiest haggle I ever had witha bank.

BoI it was too, the very day my new mortgage discount finished :D

• Subscribers Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

aib do trackers for >90% and for ftb although it is 1.1%, when I was looking three other lenders were offering a similar deal..

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭cltt97

There's defo LTV <60% out there and there's some very good ones. All the banks have their rates on their webpages, you should hit them all, there's some good deals out there.

Advertisement