Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry Help!

Options
  • 11-01-2006 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

So far i havent seen anyone mention chemistry. I need help bad as i have no idea what to do, study etc.
    Does anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

No idea what to do? Explain what exactly your problem is then maybe we could help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

i need help too...i think i'm gonna get grinds soon!! But what exactly do you need help with?? I'm just taking a break from studying it actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

Organic, and the history. Not sure where to go after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 stingy

chemistry.... ick.....

Organic is the main thing. Comes up too often for my liking!!! :(

I do grinds at Mill St, in Galway. They pulled my term average up 2 grades!!! I think if you get the basics of organic, you'll pass.

Does anyone regret choosing chemistry? I did last year. And the teacher is so...so... SO boring. Doesn't help! But it's pickin up a bit now....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

I love chemistry piss easy subject in all honesty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

I love chemistry pis easy subject in all honesty
    Alot of people here are going to hate you for saying that but I won't because i don't do chemistry :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 stingy

It's really one of those subjects that if you don't get from the start, it's hard to keep an idea of whats goin on...

A guy in my chemistry class is the teachers son. Talk about helpful! That said, I'd find it odd with one of my parents teaching me.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 tH3_UnS0cial_1

awh u need to be always at chemistry if ur not getting it now!.. up till da lc!.. i love chemisty
    i do see girls in my class havent got a clue and finding it really hard!...
    u only get out what u put in!..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

I love chemistry piss easy subject in all honesty

Now now Matt, just because you have a great teacher, doesn't mean we all do. :p

I agree, to a certain extent. It's a grand subject, though I have a useless teacher. Tough thing is getting it to the accuracy they require. A slip of saying 'clear' instead of 'colourless' could cost you, and you'd never think it matters.

Organic chemistry. Know it inside out. Two questions guaranteed, I think. It could be 2 and a half, 3 or even more if you're lucky.

Go through the marking schemes of the papers (www.examinations.ie) to see the allocation of the marks. Do lots of questions in the papers, similar ones come up all the time, there is only so much they can ask, after all.

Any specific questions or the like?

The 2006 paper is within the book of past papers we own. The course is so Tight so to speak that they can only ask so much and because of the style of subject it has to be specific.

My teacher could put an insomniac to sleep wit one syllable, despite her belief that she's a college lecturer, and she made me HATE chem last year, but this year I'm okay with it. The type of subject it is, everything builds on top of eachother and things that I didn't get at all last year I get now, and I'm finding it much better. It's a matter of sorting it out in your own head in a way that makes it easier to you, whilst still keeping it within its own limits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

i LOVE organic chem which is a good thing i guess!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

Chemistry is the best focking subject on offer, my favourite subject for school, you'll miss it when you finish. and dont say you wont because hardly any courses require it so you must be doing it for a reason! enjoy. sigh.

I'm doing science in college, so I doubt I'll miss it! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

ah it's a piss easy subject and I love it :D! very interesting. Study Organic inside out (2.5questions at least). Titrations and water and atomic theory always come up. Also Properties of Gases is supposed to be defo up this year, both my teacher and grinds teacher in mill st. have said so, so it must be true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

organic is simple enough know your defs and draw out a chart (if your book doesnt have one) of all the reactions that convert alcohols to aldehydes etc, should fit on one page, very helpful i found

also know the functional groups very well

obviously know how to convert moles to grams etc, you'be surprised how the simple things catch you out!!! NOTHING is clear, its colourless always!!!

you'll love chem in the end.....really!!, good luck

Page 182, in Chemistry Live, at least I think that's the name of my book... and I'm almost certain that's the page that chart is on...

Multiply by the molecular mass! I'm only getting all the mathsy stuff this year! Colourless or is decolourised!

Whats the actual exam like, I know I have all the papers and that but what is it actually like, in doing it? Time management? Do you stress over things more than other exams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭chickens

if you can learn how to do the maths stuff it's easier beacuse there is a lot less leaning, also for the experiments. There is only 28 of them and you are guaranteed 3 questions on them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

chickens wrote:
    if you can learn how to do the maths stuff it's easier beacuse there is a lot less leaning, also for the experiments. There is only 28 of them and you are guaranteed 3 questions on them!
    They won't ask ones they already have will they? seeing as they haven't asked all of them yet.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Your best resource I think is the past papers. Do all of the past papers at home by yourself, you'd be surprised at how often questions are very similar to previous ones, even similar to the sample papers. There is only so much you can be asked on certain topics. Also, know your experiments inside out - they're not difficult and if you know hem well you can do all three questions in the actual exam, which will amount to 37 and a half percent of your overall mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Le Rack wrote:
    Page 182, in Chemistry Live, at least I think that's the name of my book... and I'm almost certain that's the page that chart is on...

thats the one!!! i was trying to think of my old book but couldn't remember the name, seriously though that chart puts it all in a nutshell

• Advertisement

I think I got the page wrong, afaik its either 182, 282, or 382...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Le Rack wrote:

Well I gave you a one in three chance... :o

Advertisement