Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Design and retention of design

Options
  • 11-01-2006 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭

This one is aimed at Designers, but feel free to chip in your 2 cents

If you were to design a site, which you did, etc, you got paid, etc. However the client comes back a year or two later and ask for the original psd/illustrator files - would you give them free of charge or consider them proprietary artwork and charge for them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭BigArnie

The client paid for the finished product, not the source files (unless stated in the contract) so if he/she wants the PSD's, .ai's or whatever then you should probably charge for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

hehehe, and also assume there was no contract - verbal only :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I suppose the designer would be worried about people making derived works, but it can be a real pain in the arse as a care-taker if you've got to replace one or two image-text menu items and just can't get it 100% right.
    If it were me, I'd probably give them only the cropped-area/layers they're interested in... a happy compromise.
    That, or just tell them you designed the site in MSPaint and send them a large bitmap :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That, or just tell them you designed the site in MSPaint and send them a large bitmap :D
    LOL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Ph3n0m wrote:
    no contract - verbal only :)

Then I'd say stuff him. Anyone can go and buy a template and fart about with it, but a custom designed template should be treated like gold. Tell him to take screenshots of the current layout and he can cut it up as required.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

yeh never give your original files, trade secrets and all that crap :)
    but seriously why would you? he wants them presumbably so someone else can update/change the site which should be work for you shouldnt it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

At the very least i would charge for having to dig through the archives and prepare the files for sending on.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

Figment wrote:
    At the very least i would charge for having to dig through the archives and prepare the files for sending on.
    And also the cost of all storage of the files for two years. Hard drives aren't free :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭BigArnie

Yeah but no but yeah but no but yeah.

Advertisement