Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What books do you want to see films of?

• 11-01-2006 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭

Mods i know this may look like a books thread but lets face it, its in limbo! Move it if you want but i reckon it's ok here!
    Obviously some people out there are going to say that film versions of books are always terrible.....but let's hold off on that debate and say which books we would like to see on the big screen.

May favourite is "the secret history" by Donna Tartt....can see it being an amazing film with the right director.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Personnally, now that the whole "fantasty" genre is really hitting home in the box office i would love to see a huge Epic based on Raymond E Fesits Riftware Saga. That would make for some damn good telly if the right person got there hands on it.

I would also love to see Wheel of time in a massive 10 part film epic. But then again, i'm a big "fantast" fan boy so what can you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

To be honest, none. Everyone I've read and then watched on film have been no where near the book. The worst was John Steakley's Vampire Inc. Was so disappointed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭dédé

Howdy,
    Running Man by Stephen King. Has someone read it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭BOHS

I think angels & demons by Dan Brown could be a good very good film if done properly

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The would love to see the Farseers Trilogy by Robin Hobb made into a trilogy of movies. They are fantasy novels kind of in the same vein as Lord of the Rings, and if the right director was behind it they could make brilliant movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I think Arthur C. Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama would make a good film.

Actually I think Morgan Freeman's production company had the rights at one stage, but nothing seemed to come of it.

I'd just love to see a proper science fiction film that isn't just a mindless action film.

There is a little short movie that some guy called Joe Maile made. You can see it here:

http://www.joemiale.com/vid/rama01.mov

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Dragan wrote:
    Personnally, now that the whole "fantasty" genre is really hitting home in the box office i would love to see a huge Epic based on Raymond E Fesits Riftware Saga. That would make for some damn good telly if the right person got there hands on it.

Ditto. Magician alone would be a great film if done properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

déd&#233 wrote:
    Howdy,
    Already done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Dragan wrote:
    Raymond E Fesits Riftware Saga.

Wheel of time in a massive 10 part film epic.

I give a massively hearty 2nd to both those ideas. For wheel of time, it might even push Robert Jordan for the series to be finished at last - im dying of suspense!!!!

For new idea's, think a few David Gemmell books would be worthy, like the John Shannow series. Could be pretty funky in movie form.

Also Good Omens from Terry Pratchett and that other chap, if done correctly, could be class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Dragan wrote:

You're right, Fantasy is hitting home at the box office... But all that means is that Hollywood will just want to squeeze out a cash in. I think the only reason Lord Of The Rings was any good was because Peter Jackson wanted it made for all the right reasons. I can't same for Narnia, which felt like the film makers ploughing through the material for a quick buck.

Of course, if the right person is in the helm, all the better, but like with the success of X-Men, we've had some pretty lack luster comic book adaptations being thrown out there for no good reason other than $, like the Fantastic Four. In spite of that though, Sam Raimi did quite well, so there's hope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Ok well aside from the fantasy genre (which is in danger of going the way of comic book adaptations) are there any others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Well, I'm eagerly anticipating Guillermo Del Toro's attempt of HP Lovecraft's At The Mountains Of Madness, if it ever comes about.

I guess we could do with some Umberto Eco adaptations.

In The Name of the Rose made for a great film and we could probably do with a Foucault's Pendulum adaptation, it would certainly be a nice antidote to Devinci Code trash.

Goodshape wrote:

Well I didn't know.
    Thanks

déd&#233 wrote:
    Well I didn't know.
    Thanks
    I would have thought that most people would have known the film over the book.

Wasn't The Running Man writen under his Bachman pen name?

I would have thought that most people would have known the film over the book.

Wasn't The Running Man writen under his Bachman pen name?

Actually I don't know in English but I have the French version and it's written under the name of Stephen King.

déd&#233 wrote:
    Actually I don't know in English but I have the French version and it's written under the name of Stephen King.
    Oh right... I think he used the pen name as he didn't want to piss off his regular readers by doing a science fiction book.

If you haven't seen then film then you should definitely look it up... It's pretty much you classic Arnie movie.. it's pretty funny... It's been a long time since I've seen it though, it doesn't seem to get much air play on telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭rahim

Wouldn't mind the likes of Hammer of the Gods or The Rocker, Led Zeppelin and Phil Lynott biogs, might make for interesting viewing. I know the books might not be "Classic Literature" but I reckon the content could make good films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Well, I'm eagerly anticipating Guillermo Del Toro's attempt of HP Lovecraft's At The Mountains Of Madness, if it ever comes about.
    Ditto. a decent mythos movie would be class.

also, "Use of Weapons" by Iain M. Banks - would be incredibly hard to translate though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'd love to see Peter Hamilton's "Night's Dawn" trilogy put to the screen. The guy writes great space opera that'd really suit the big screen because they're full of excellent action scenes (among the best I've ever read). The cross-genre fusion of sci-fi and horror should also ensure it appeals to a broader audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

If someone doesn't come and rescue Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials from the development limbo it appears to be stuck in, I may puke. I really, really want to see that series done well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Oh right... I think he used the pen name as he didn't want to piss off his regular readers by doing a science fiction book.

If you haven't seen then film then you should definitely look it up... It's pretty much you classic Arnie movie.. it's pretty funny... It's been a long time since I've seen it though, it doesn't seem to get much air play on telly.

I read before that he wrote some books under the Bachman name so people wouldn’t be put of by the amount of Stephen King books on the shelves, and might like to read something similar but by an supposed different author.
    But the Running Man was definitely a Bachman, in fact it first appeared as one of the stories in The Bachman Books.
    And it is a fair bit different to the Arnie movie. The main character is nothing like him, and the reason he's in the running man game show is by choice, to earn cash for his sick dying daughter's medical bills. Plus in the game, he is released into the complete outside world, not just in the "Running zone" of the movie, and the hunters chasing him are a lot more toned down gimmick wise than the Action movie/WWF-style Stalkers in the flick.
    So technically, The Running Man book is still to be made into a movie, an accurate one at least.

Arnie movie is hilarious though, especially the advert in it for the other game show "Climbing for Dollars" and the Captain Freedom workout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Can't wait to see 'Memoirs of a Geisha' when it's released

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

I'd like to see some of Gemmell's characters on the big screen. Especially the likes of Druss, Jon Shannow and Waylander. They kick ass.
    I'm eagerly anticipating the release of The Rum Diary as well. That should be cool, especially since it's directed by Bruce 'Withnail & I' Robinson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Yes, id like to see Waylander on the big screen - i think it would definitely be doable as it wouldn't need as large a budget as say, Legend, which is on a much bigger scale.
    ixoy wrote:
    I'd love to see Peter Hamilton's "Night's Dawn" trilogy put to the screen.
    Yes, me too. But it may be unfilmable (although the same was said of LOTR), there's just too much in the way of characters/plotlines. They'd also need to chop out a lot of the R rated stuff if they are to make a profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

ObeyGiant wrote:
    If someone doesn't come and rescue Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials from the development limbo it appears to be stuck in, I may puke. I really, really want to see that series done well.
    I'd prefer it to be stuck in limbo for a while, waiting for the right people, than rushed out to make a buck. They could so easily get it very wrong.

Done right it would be great of course.. think it deserves the Peter Jackson treatment myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Trip Hazard

Specking of which, does anyone know if their going to make any of the sequals of the hitch hikers guide to the galaxy, i just finished reading The resturant at the end of the universe it a brilliant book, maybe better then the hitch hikers guide to the galaxy.

So far i haven't heards any word of a sequal to the movie to be made.
    anyone hear different??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭zeusnero

any and all of gemell's drenai saga!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'd like to see more of Tom Clancy's books made for the big screen. 'The Sum Of All Fears' wasn't done as well as the earlier ones (Hunt for Red Oktober, Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger), but there's plenty of great books left to do, and if done properly Clancy's books naturally lend themselves to the big screen. Rainbow 6 would make an excellent film if done properly, in fact I'm kinda surprised it hasn't been done yet.

• Advertisement

The Fog, by James Herbert no the John Carpenter story, would make a good horror movie if it were done properly.

And I enjoyed John Malkovich as Tom Ripley so wouldn’t mind seeing him play him again, although the two books set after Ripley's Game are as good as the two set before it, one of which was already played by Matt Damon and the other Malkovich would be too old for anyway.

I'd also love to see one of the books with Gregory MacDonald's Fletch character, made famous by Chevy Chase in the 80's, done into a movie.
    I know Kevin Smith was rumored for a long time to do Fletch Won, with Jason Lee in the lead, but that's been scrapped as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

~Rebel~ wrote:

Also Good Omens from Terry Pratchett and that other chap, if done correctly, could be class.

I think Terry Gilliam is working on this at the mo. Johnny Depp is set for Crawley and Robin Williams as the angel (can't think of his name). Unfortuantely, Gilliam is having trouble finding financial backers, so if anyone wants to start up a collection, we only need about €40 million to get started...

I'd love to see the Dragonlance Chronicals being made. I always thought it had a better story and better characters that Lord Of The Rings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

ObeyGiant wrote:

Noooo!how can you say this!How can the best work of fiction ever written (in my eyes) be made into a film!cant we at least keep one book sacred for generations to come. Apparently the director they've got onboard for this directed american pie-im dreading it already!there'll have mrs coulter in a bikini or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

D-FENS wrote:
    I read before that he wrote some books under the Bachman name so people wouldn’t be put of by the amount of Stephen King books on the shelves, and might like to read something similar but by an supposed different author.

The Bachman books came about because King wanted to see if people were buying the books because they were good or because of his name. Its in a forward of one of his books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

The Good Omens movie looks like it might be dead. :( Williams has left it I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

altered carbon by richard morgan - great sci-fi book with some excellent ideas. someone bought the rights when it came out, but nothing so far as far as i know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 sweety4uall

déd&#233 wrote:
    Howdy,
    yes.not bad book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 The Samizdat

I would like to see David Foster Wallace's "Infinite Jest" made into a movie, but it would have to be a very long miniseries. There have been rumors in the states that HBO is considering adapting it (they own the film rights), but I don't know think the book has enough popular clout for HBO to do it.

Supposedly his work of short stories "Brief Interviews with Hideous Men" is currently being adapted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

Anything written by Juliet Marillier; preferably, the Sevenwaters series. I think that would be awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

The Twits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

panda100 wrote:
    Noooo!how can you say this!How can the best work of fiction ever written (in my eyes) be made into a film!cant we at least keep one book sacred for generations to come. Apparently the director they've got onboard for this directed american pie-im dreading it already!there'll have mrs coulter in a bikini or something
    We can only hope. Can we also change the character of the Golden Monkey into... say a wise cracking monkey? Booyah! That's a movie.

I want to see The Secret History by Donna Tartt done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭egon spengler

dark tower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

wouldnt mind seeing the first chronicals of thomas covenant on the big screen, although i doubt it would make it to the big screen in its original story, i can definately see one scene being removed from the first novel, think the second novel had some battles that would look amazing on screen

also love to see some of Iain M Banks work made into films, loved consider phleabas, & i remember hearing some rumours about player of games being made, but i havent heard anything since. yeah use of weapons would be great but i dont think they could ever do it right

also would love to see some of the warhammer 40k books made into mind numbing scif0fi action flicks, imagine the horus herracy as a bunch of films :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Maybe some John Connelly. His first 3. If they did them right they could make a good trilogy. The subject matter is very dark and they would work better than the Patterson movie adaptations.
    For some reason I think David Duchovny would make a good Charlie Parker. They have the same dry wit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Can't wait for I Am Legend, even though I think it would be hard to execute on the big screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

The Rama series, but only by a really good director who HAS read this series, and loves it.. I'd hate to see it turn into all action, cgi centred film... would prefer, to reflect the books and keep the overwhelming sense of wonder, loneliness, awe etc...
    Damn i want to read them again...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Yeah, have to agree with the John Connolly suggestion.
    His books are so accessible, and visual, that they'd transfer very well to the screen.

Enders Game by Orson Scott Card.
    Problem would be in finding a bunch of child actors that wouldn't piss people off.

dark tower

Jesus, yeah, never though of that.
    Would take the vision and budget power of a Spielberg/Jackson etc. to pull it off though
    Would hate to see it done half-arsed and i'd say King would'nt either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

I hear they are making a movie outta Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code", and Tom Hanks is playing the lead role.

Any idea when we can expect to see hitting the big screen here in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

memphis wrote:
    I hear they are making a movie outta Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code", and Tom Hanks is playing the lead role.

Any idea when we can expect to see hitting the big screen here in Ireland?

Saw the trailer before Match Point in Dundrum so I imagine not too long!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

All of the Jack Reacher books by Lee Child. Have read them all (around 8 I think). Great stories and Reacher is one of the best characters I've ever read.

• Advertisement
Advertisement