Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which A/V amp?

Options
  • 11-01-2006 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭

Can anyone here offer me some advice about an amp that can take the following inputs:

ps2
    ntl digital TV
    hdd recorder
    pc video and audio
    ipod
    dvd player
    coax radio

and alternate the video output between a TV or a projector
    and output the sound to 5.1 surround speakers.

I have two old B&W speakers. Could I use these and buy 3 more speakers or have speakers improved a lot in the last 25 years?

Which amp should I buy? (with less than 500 quid)

Which video standard should I use with the amp? s-video, composite, component? (the ps2 only does composite)

I am going to need a long (10-12m) video connection from the amp positioned at the front of the room to the projector at the rear. What should I use for this? s-video, scart, composite, component, hdmi?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Component is the best to do. If you have the option for HDMI to the projector use that.... as far as amps go, I'm not up on the latest, or any for that matter ;)

John

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

For sub 500 something like this

http://www.yamaha-uk.com/pdf/product_bulletins/RX-V557.pdf

Katronics.de have it for 312

Lovely amp, gets good reviews basically you plug all the devices into it (component, s-video, composite) and run a single set of component cables to the PJ. You could run an s-video output to the TV also.

If you want HDMI then something like this:
    http://www.denon.co.uk/site/frames_main.php?main=prod&ver=&MID=3&sub=1&action=detail&Pid=263

But not for €500 - probably gonna have to pay 1500+ for an amp with HDMI upscaling.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

tis a pitty, my amp only has composite which is crap, i dont bother using the video section, except for the PS2 and xbox.
    all im interested in is the sound aspect of my amp.

Yeah HDMI, big bucks alright for that, ive only seen a denon with it in the flesh and what a huge and heavy amp that was.

Advertisement