Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gravesen to United??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

There has been talk of it but i cant see it going through
    united have already got Vidic & Evra this month.

Like i dont think united should buy Gravesen we need a good
    top pro to fill that spot, maby Gravesen is but i still feel we
    would need a better buy then him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

exactly what united need.i think he would be a great signing.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Excellent signing if we got him, for 2.5 million he would be a great buy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

exactly what united need.i think he would be a great signing.

Agree with you but long gone are the days when United can go and splash the cash when they feel like it. Some one will have to be sold to buy him.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Who was sold to buy Vidic and Evra? Don't agree, money was there to spend and he is spending it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Cant find anything about this anywhere else so not so sure about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

He would be a good short term signing and provide a bit of bite for United in centre of the park, United still need to sign a top class centre mid player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

i wouldn't mind him for the time being, but if manu didn't buy another centre mid in the summer i'd be pissed off.
    I never heard anything about dacourt coming. How has he be playing? He might be a good buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Good short term signing if it happens . Most of the top players united would be interested in are involved in the CL and would be unwilling to move mid season. Having Graveson on board would ease the pressure on finding a long term solution to our lack of Steel in Midfield.

Big Nelly wrote:
    Manchester United are reported to have stepped up their interest in Thomas Gravesen by lodging a bid with Real Madrid.

Sir Alex Ferguson is looking to bolster his midfield having added Patrice Evra and Nemanja Vidic to his defence over the last ten days.

A replacement for Roy Keane appears high on the agenda and United have been linked with both Gravesen and Olivier Dacourt, but a move for the former is reported to have already happened.

"The ball is in Madrid's court, they are the ones who have to take the decision," Gravesen told Danish newspaper Ekstra Bladet.

"They have to decide once and for all if they want me."

Reports suggest United have bid some €3.8 million (£2.6 million) for the former Everton star, although Real want €5 million (£3.4 million) - despite the fact they only paid Everton €3.5 million (£2 million) for him 12 months ago.

With less than £1 million separating the bid and asking price, it would seem that a deal may not be too far away - should United's interest be confirmed.

Real coach Juan Ramon Lopez Caro has admitted that any unhappy players can leave the club.
    "Anyone who is unsettled here should head for the door and go," Lopez Caro told a Madrid news conference.

"If they are not prepared to help the team they shouldn't try and fool themselves or the club."

However, Lopez Caro did admit that he had not noticed that Gravesen was unsettled.

"I haven't noticed anything amiss with the player, if I had I would have spoken to him about it," he admitted.

"I can only praise Gravesen as an excellent professional and an excellent person. I am surprised by the things they write about him."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I think he means that because it's only reported on Sky and not elsewhere, he doesn't trust it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Big Nelly wrote:

maybe your right not to trust Sky as Gravesen's agent has now dismissed any bid:

Sky Sports News:
    "The situation regarding Thomas has not changed at all," Sivebaek stated.

"He has not played as many matches as he expected over the last few months and at 29 he just wants to play.

"If he can't do it in Madrid he might have to find another place to play but that situation is no different to last week.

"There is certainly no transfer imminent and if Manchester United have made a bid, I know nothing about it."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

would be a good signing if it went through id think. As regards to money, Glazer told SAF that if he needed big money to buy a top player, then he can have it. But if that will be Gravensen, if it will be this transfer window, or if it will be in the summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Agree with you but long gone are the days when United can go and splash the cash when they feel like it. Some one will have to be sold to buy him.

Says who? Evra and Vidic.
    ---

I'd like to see him at United. Isn't a replacement, but would improve the midfield where we are short in numbers, for a small amount of money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

If Real are going to sell him they have to accept £2m from Everton as they have first option for that price and I'm sure they'd want him back. He'd probably move to Utd anyway.

fade2black wrote:
    I think he means that because it's only reported on Sky and not elsewhere, he doesn't trust it.

Sorry thats what I meant. Sky seem to be the only people that think this is a move. Everyone else has said there is nothing concrete so wouldnt count your chicken yet!

Big Nelly wrote:
    Sorry thats what I meant. Sky seem to be the only people that think this is a move. Everyone else has said there is nothing concrete so wouldnt count your chicken yet!

When Fergie was asked if there would be any more arrivals in the closed season last night he said he would like to bring in a midfielder but " it is difficult" which leads me to believe they are in negotiations to sign someone but it is by no means a certainty they will succeed. I think Graveson is the most likely candidate at this stage in the season but there has also been speculation linking Michael Carrick with a move to United..

Grasping at straws there. There is no chance that Carrick is going to move from Spurs. He is living in London where he is happy, playing in a good Spurs side and just off the England squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

The Muppet wrote:
    Having Graveson on board would ease the pressure on finding a long term solution to our lack of Steel in Midfield.

Haven't watched Graveson play for Everton many times in the last 4 years I am amzed to see why people think he is the Steel in Midfield. He was one of the worst tacklers in midfield i thought. I am sure many Evertonians would agree with me. But he did add an extra dimension to the team.

ciaran76 wrote:
    Haven't watched Graveson play for Everton many times in the last 4 years I am amzed to see why people think he is the Steel in Midfield. He was one of the worst tacklers in midfield i thought. I am sure many Evertonians would agree with me. But he did add an extra dimension to the team.

Everyone forgets or maybe gets mixed up that Carsley was the defensive midfielder and Graveson was the more attacking player in the middle 5 for Everton last season. It was Carsley breaking up the play and passing onto Graveson to break into the oppositions half. As someone commentators have joked that madrid got the wrong player because the 2 of them are bald and looked the same.

Graveson would be another option in middle of park but now talk in "paper" that Diarra will be moving in summer for 12million

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:
    Grasping at straws there. There is no chance that Carrick is going to move from Spurs. He is living in London where he is happy, playing in a good Spurs side and just off the England squad.

:confused: Grasping at straws? I was only replying to you post with the a summary of the speculation around at the moment.
    ciaran76 wrote:

Maybe Steel was the wrong word to use. But I do believe he will add some presence to the midfield that is lacking at times at the moment should he be signed.

The Muppet wrote:
    :confused: Grasping at straws? I was only replying to you post with the a summary of the speculation around at the moment.

Sorry maybe came out wrong but just meant that there is no chance of Carrick moving to Utd or anyone. Settled in London and playing well so not going to uproot to Manchester

There is loads of speculation around in jan so papers will sell so I dont' believe the majority of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

ciaran76 wrote:

Agreed 100%.

He played well for 5 months of 48 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeh, Graveson isn't a fantastic signing, but he would add cheap cover to the midfield. Attacking wise, so we can play a rotation of Fletcher - Graveson/Scholes, and just leave Smith out of it. We could even play Graveson - Scholes if we had to. It would be a benefical buy.
    Furthermore after the WC we could probably sell him on for more. It'd be a decent signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

In fairness, a one legged blind man could probably contend for a place in United's cental midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

thats no way to talk about fletcher

;)

In fairness, a one legged blind man could probably contend for a place in United's cental midfield.

Just a bit of an exageration(sp) there now. O'Shea has done well in recent week in the middle, so has Fletcher. Scholes has to come back from being blind so maybe could refer to him as being the blind part but Im sure he has 2 legs left. Then you have Giggs, Ronaldo, Park, Smith(only ok), Richardson, and young Jones to name a few. Good few decent players there

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Graveson would be a decent stop gap signing but thats about it. Lets face it, although not that bad a midfield, the Man U cetral midfield is not up to there standards and Graveson would improve the midfield a bit. The problem for Man U is that they will be unable to buy a top class midfield player in january because most are still involved in the Champions League and so wont move. Bearing that in mind Graveson would be a good signing to at least play until the end of the season. he wont cost that much either which is aother big advantage.

I would still expect Man U to bring in another, better midfield player in the sumer though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Big Nelly wrote:
    Sorry maybe came out wrong but just meant that there is no chance of Carrick moving to Utd or anyone. Settled in London and playing well so not going to uproot to Manchester.
    I find it hard to believe that United would have "no chance" in signing any player who plays for Spurs. United is a massive step up from Spurs, and regardless of if a player is happy and settled, it is a move that at (very very) least everyone would consider if Spurs were to accept an offer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

THat hardest part would be getting spurs to accept an offer. It would cost 15- 20mil to buy him. Even for 15mil, doubt spurs would accept.

Advertisement