Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Problem in Dublin 17

• 11-01-2006 3:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭

I really didn't need this today of all days so I guess it's murphys law.

Anyway, our 2m/bit breeze connection is acting very slowly indeed. Check out the attached jpeg.

So the download speeds are approx dialup speeds and the uploads speeds are quicker than they should be. Is anyone else having this kind of trouble? I called tech support and they said there wasn't a problem on that mast. The guy told me he'd send me a form that I should fill in by email. Our email is on an eircom dsl line and I still haven't seen the mail over an hour later...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

A form by e-mail? :confused: Never heard such a thing!? oO

Did you try resetting your radio and rebooting PC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

A form by e-mail? :confused: Never heard such a thing!? oO

Did you try resetting your radio and rebooting PC?

Ah yea ;)

Thanks for the post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sisyphus

So the download speeds are approx dialup speeds and the uploads speeds are quicker than they should be.
    Have you tried fully testing the connection (i.e. downloading a few files off Irish servers, running some ping and trace route tests etc.?? Simply taking an online test result as gospel is rudicruous (Don't mean to be offensive), especially irishisptest's one......
    Run some proper diagnostics, and then contact the IBB lads. At least then, you might be able to figure out what the problem is?

Praetorian wrote:
    Ah yea ;)

Thanks for the post!
    Did it work? Sometimes (rarely...) it can work!

No it didn't work. Irishisptest is reasonably accurate. I'm currently downloading knoppix from heanet at a blistering 4.2 kB per second. 30 hours to go...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

MIne has been acting up last night. Im in D15 where is D17? Close?
    I was getting 10K down last night and packet loss. It seemed to go fine back to 100k mark after 1am. Im wondering is this the warning signs to another bad spell?

D17 is the Coolock area I believe... Which mast are you on Praetorian?

I think the mast is on top of northside shopping centre.

The situation has improved. I've tested again with downloads from heanet and I've tested on Irishisptest again.

We're now upto 50 kB per second downloads and approximately 350 kB per second uploads. We used to get 220 kB approx in both directions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sisyphus

We're now upto 50 kB per second downloads and approximately 350 kB per second uploads. We used to get 220 kB approx in both directions...
    I still say IrishISP test is a load of pish! I'm assuming you're on the standard 2 mbps 24:1 (Could be wrong here) connection Praetorian? If so, then your max throughput in KB/ps would be 2048 kbps, or 256 KB/ps. In other words, you couldn't get 350 KB/ps upload speeds, unless you're actually on a 3 mbps line (3072 kbps). In summation, if irishisptest is saying you're getting 350 KB/ps uploads, I would have to conclude that it's grossely inaccurate......
    Use something like OnlineEye instead, and upload/download some files whilst monitoring the speeds:
    http://www.pmasoft.net/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

My connection seems to go from good to bad by the hour now. I get an hour of good pings and speends then an hour of bad pings and speeds. Strane problems these. I may well be making more phone calls to them on monday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement