Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US: 2x10: The 23rd Psalm [spoilers]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

The episode sucked! it was really bad and i mightnt even watch lost anymore because its just going off in a tangent to waste more time.

I think you've lost the plot man. I thought this episode was well worthy of a 10 JUST because of Eko's back story, but then seeing the monster and the fact I nearly shat myself when it came flying through those trees just did it for me. Lost has fully redeemed itself imo. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Oh my god cant believe some of the crazy scores been given here just
    because its LOST.

That episode was so so bad. I've watched lost for what 40 episodes now.

I wait 5 weeks and i get an episode with, what one piece of information! then
    5 minutes of wasted music and looking at the people on the Island at the
    end.

The episode sucked! it was really bad and i mightnt even watch lost anymore
    because its just going off in a tangent to waste more time.

It will come to a point where you'll all agree..

I would give the episode 2/10, Absolutely DIRE and we shouldnt accept such
    crap to be honest.

Invasion is where it's at:p

Em, we saw what the monster was, that's pretty big. I'm sorry it doesn't spell everything out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

More than a couple of issues with this episode:

1. WTF was Michael doing using food for target practice? They're on an desert island, it's not like they can pop down to Dunnes for more!
    2. How the hell are Lindelof and Abrams going to explain the cloud of smoke without resorting to sci-fi? (Personal theory is that it's something like a Boggart in Harry Potter and only appears as black smoke when the person it's dealing with has no great fear)
    3. Why the hell are all the losties so divided? There's been no reason for there to be so many of them mistrusting each other.
    4. Charlie and the drugs, I mean, just give it a rest. Every other TV show in the history of TV shows has done the whole drug-addict story arc before. Why bother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

I think it was a paint can Michael was shooting at...didn't Hurley give out all the food to everyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

tvnutz wrote:
    I think it was a paint can Michael was shooting at...didn't Hurley give out all the food to everyone?

It was Ranch Dressing - wondered about that point myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Oh my god cant believe some of the crazy scores been given here just because its LOST.

Call me crazy but this IS the LOST forum!

Which just leads me on to a favourite saying of mine ... Don't feed the trolls! (iow - **** off)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

That food wasting annoyed me too. Not like there wasn't coconuts around to shoot at!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

To me it looked like a tub of mayonnaise, I can't see them resorting to eating that rather than the fish/fruit around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

Ciaran500 wrote:
    To me it looked like a tub of mayonnaise, I can't see them resorting to eating that rather than the fish/fruit around.

it would add some flavour to the food...or they could use it with sun's salads
    ..or u not a fan of mayo in ur sandwiches:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Ciaran500 wrote:
    i'm a bit of a connoisseur of mayonnaise and that was defiently a value pack of the garlic variety. But ya know its probably gone off! It was put down there in like the late 70's or something, although its probably that cheap tesco stuff that never goes off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

On tub it read "DI 9FFTR73-Ranch Compost".....Doesnt look like something you would put on sandwiches.Did a search on google for ranch compost and its a Soil Fertility program....

Maybe that number might be significant mabye,maybe not...Good episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭sephirosis

this could end up being a bit of a stupid question but it has been quite a while since i have seen the first ever episode, but are we sure that it was the smoky creature thing that took the pilot. if i remember correctly (which admittedly i probably don't) we never saw quite what exactly what got him

edit: can anyone link to a promo for 2 x 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭VeVeX

didnt old skool lostzilla have loud (and HUGE) footprints??? And make alot of RRRROOOAAAAARRRR'ing noise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

sephirosis wrote:
    edit: can anyone link to a promo for 2 x 11
    Promo and POSSIBLE SPOILERS in here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

In this ep it does roar, then there is a very mechanical sound from it, just like the sound in the room in the hatch with the counter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭sephirosis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Macros42 wrote:
    Call me crazy but this IS the LOST forum!

Which just leads me on to a favourite saying of mine ... Don't feed the trolls! (iow - **** off)

Yes im a troll even though i've been a loyal fan of Lost sinc ehte beginning:D

Maybe i was in a bad mood when i watched it but it just seemed
    very slow and boring and even though we did see Eko's Background,
    Charlie with his drugs and the weird black cloud it just seemed to have
    no affect on me. And even the way we went back and seen Michael talk
    to Walt was so so annoying.

I've had this feeling in the back of my head for the last few eps but
    this ep was just my last straw.

Yes im a troll even though i've been a loyal fan of Lost sinc ehte beginning:D

My bad - I did actually mean to put in a ;) at the end of that post :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

because its LOST.

end.

crap to be honest.

wind-up merchant anyone?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

herobear wrote:
    edit: anybody notice the guys eko was buying the drugs off were speaking iraqi ??
    One of them actually seemed to say 'Sayid' when he was talking in Iraqi.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

because its LOST.

end.

crap to be honest.

I compleely agree, the monster element has become far too nonsensical.
    This episode was crap,
    Can't watch
    LOSTanymore after watching Prison Break.

One of them actually seemed to say 'Sayid' when he was talking in Iraqi.
    I noticed that too - could be a clue Scooby :D

sayid is everybodys name in Iraq, it's like mexicans only having 3 last names (Rodriquez, Cortez and A.N. Other )

Macros42 wrote:
    I noticed that too - could be a clue Scooby :D
    And if I remember corectly Sayid was very quick to break open the Virigin Mary statue to see the drugs inside as if he knew what they were being used for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

sayid is everybodys name in Iraq, it's like mexicans only having 3 last names (Rodriquez, Cortez and A.N. Other )

well whats the connection between Sayid and the drugs then, there in Nigeriafamous for their yellow cake uranium mines(or was that Niger) , eh they got the heroin from the blaa'stan area for use as currency, although Saddam never bout any uranium from Nigeria (in RL) he probably window shopped, who to say there isn't a there isn't a nucelar power station on the island...? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

OK, "The 23rd Psalm"...

Seems Eko is a priest as some of us guessed... but not quite in the way we might have expected. Loved the backstory, the plane connection (obvious from the moment he heard about the Virgin Mary statue, though, but that didn't weaken it). Like the Charlie/drugs thing - I don't think this is a bad development. I fully expected that at some point his and Claire's relationship would dampen and this would be his way out.

The monster: Didn’t expect to see it; really gave me a fright when the first tree uprooting took place (usually wait a few weeks on the Podcasts just in case – just as well considering the producers must’ve said!) I agree with many posts here. The images inside the black smoke seem to be like 'life flashing before your eyes', after which maybe a calculation is made. Is this person redeemable? Does this person offer something the island? (That said, given the pilot seemed a decent enough sort in "Pilot" and in the "Exodus" deleted flashback, it seems strange the monster would choose to kill him.) This might lend something to it responding to fear. I'm sure that the first time Locke saw it in "Walkabout" (for which O'Quinn was told he was looking at 'the most beautiful thing you've ever seen' by producers), it was a series of happy images. But due to his own doubts or fears, the images the second time in "Exodus" were very likely those of his father, the kidney scam, and what happened to his legs. The posted theory on 4815162342.com is starting to look even more plausible - there are scientists proficient in ESP somewhere controlling everything from the monster to Locke's ability to walk. In fact, people's flashbacks may well even be happening for a very specific reason (beyond innovative storytelling) - someone is causing them to recall key, life-changing memories.

Other bits and pieces:

* No "Starring" before Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, though there usually is. Not important, considering everyone is in alphabetical order, but it's the first time it's been excluded.

* The subtitle for "Don't take any more of the children." from the priest in the village is incorrect. Should've been "any more". Sorry, I'm a pedant.

* The Aaron/Moses thing. I'm sure Eko often wished/wishes he could have been more like his brother, had his life been different.

* Was it just me or was the scene which went like this particularly cool:

EKO: "Why did you lie to the girl?"
    CHARLIE: "What?"
    EKO: "You told her you did not know what was inside the statue."
    CHARLIE: "I wasn't lying."
    EKO: "Then what is the wrong idea?"
    CHARLIE: "What?"
    EKO: "When I showed you the broken pieces of plaster, you said you did not want her to get the wrong idea. What is the wrong idea?"

* More brotherly issues: Charlie tells Eko it was his brother's fault that he became an addict.

* If anyone watched "Lost: Revelations" recap, you'll notice how that whole programme had scenes chosen which particularly reflect some of the material in "The 23rd Psalm". You'll see Locke and Boone discovering the 'parachute' priest from "Deus Ex Machina" and Locke noting his 'gold teeth'. I suspect there are some other scenes in this recap which point to future developments, as some of the included scenes (like the priest) weren't necessarily cruical. (In fact, it's well worth a look for some other editing choices. The Boone/Bernard radio conversation is edited so we see both sides at the same time; same with the hatch explosion/Desmond inside.)

* The priest killed in the village at the start of the episode is visible inside the cloud. It's already been mentioned that many of the Lost characters have killed someone (some on the island, some in their previous lives) - the show does seem to have redemption as one of its themes, and you don't get much bigger sins than murder...

* Michael and the computer: I reckon if this *is* Walt, he's got access to some of the Others' equipment (which would originally have been Dharma equipment. The Others' may originally have been Dharma scientists who went 'native' after The Incident.) I think this is why Walt was also able to project himself into the jungle to Shannon in 2x01 and 2x06. The talking backwards may have been caused by him not being able to use the 'mental projection' technology properly.)

* The shooting of the mayonnaise/soil fertiliser: Well, since I loathe mayonnaise, I'm not too bothered about shooting a full jar of it, but it does seem highly odd that they would waste it as a flavouring for fish. If it is fertiliser, it's even more bizarre that they would waste it rather than give it to Sun for her garden. As someone said above, it's not like there's a local shop around the corner. I mean, there must have been EMPTY jars (though admittedly, this looks weaker on TV; and that'd be the reason it was full!) What's next? Some peanut butter target practise just to wind Claire up?!

* Eko being mistaken for his brother: One of the things I liked about this was that this was truly his life being saved. He could easily have gone back to the village and continued his criminal life. But whether through fear of his cover being blown by the military, guilt at his brother being lost through his actions, or joy at now having a chance to live a life he'd wanted, his choice at studying the bible and ministering is the most profound of any character on Lost yet. Will be interesting to see other flashbacks from Eko now, presumably one in the village post-'ordination'. We also need to know why he was in Australia.

* Which brings me to, what does Eko know about the Nigerian plane having turned up on the island? He doesn't seem as surprised as he should've been. Was he in Australia because he’s been investigating where the plane went all these years? Did he have some information about missing planes that led him to be on Flight 815?

* Liked the use of the 23rd Psalm at the end (one of the nicer uses of the numbers), and Charlie joining in. In true ‘sinner’ fashion, Charlie’s longing to be led to righteousness, but the temptations are a bit too powerful. Very neat theme stuff going on there.

* Charlie and the statues: Is this a recent thing, or has he been doing this since the start of season 2? I’m betting on this going on a while, but he may only actually start using again now.

* Not to show my ignorance on heroin use or anything, but does heroin give the same results when snorted? If so, is this the only way Charlie has ever taken the drug? I’m sure there aren’t going to be many spare needles on the island, and it’s probably been “cleaned up” for TV, but this wouldn’t be the usual method of taking it, I’m sure.

* Regarding the possibility that Iraqis sold the drugs to Eko, I have seen elsewhere that they might be Moroccan. Does anyone know for sure that their language was Arabic or Kurdish, or any of the other Iraq-spoken languages?

Overall, this was one of the finest episodes in season 2 so far, and one of the best for me in the entire series so far. Right up there with the finest of the flashbacks and the better island episodes as well. This (and “The Other 48 Days”) are the new standard for season 2. A very near-perfect 9/10.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Excellent post doh.ie - very informative and helped me a lot by clearing up issues I was confused at.

Eko seems to know something about that black smoke, its the feeling im getting since he noticed it. Is it known why he was on the plane in the first place? I think he was searching for information on the plane to be honest.

Why was Eko stopped from going on the plane by his brother, I dont understand? What did his brother know, to prevent him? And why did one of his "rebel" friends kick him out? Mistaken identity by any chance? Seems a bit odd, that they would get him mixed up..

I think the Army dude mistaking his identity might have started of as a way to prevent his identity being revealed but ended up actually taking things seriously and was guilty/upset for his brother and was carrying on the religious duties.

Did his brother die from the plane crash or the bullet? Why did the plane crash in the first place, or is it not known? And the body found from the parachute's, did he die from the fall or something else?

I think Eko killing the two drug dealers wasn't because they were "annoying" to be honest, I dont think Eko was a "very bad" sinner in a "bad" way. I think he may have committed since, but for the good of others. Hence the flying away of drugs.

who's on the PC you may ask.. has Mich gone mad? Somehow, I doubt it. Why? Because it was after Eko and Loche heard that the PC could not be used for outside communication, that Mich started using it. Why wasn't anything on screen when Jack arrived? Good question, but that could be something to do with spirits making sure nobody else sees it. Hard to explain.

Charlie, I think wont go back on the drugs. I think its his way of dealing with it.

I sence a bit of love between the fat guy and the new girl (cant think of either names, Hurley is it?)...

That smoke thing reminds me of Harry Potter, as one poster already said! And I find it very hard to make out images in it, supprised people picked it up!

Anyone else think that Lostzilla was the column of smoke that Rousseau saw before the others came and took her child?

And as for the jar of mayo. I assumed it had been emptied and the bits that splashed out were merely what was left stuck to the inside of the jar. It certainly wasn't full.

Sully04 wrote:
    Why was Eko stopped from going on the plane by his brother, I dont understand? What did his brother know, to prevent him? And why did one of his "rebel" friends kick him out? Mistaken identity by any chance? Seems a bit odd, that they would get him mixed up..

Ecko more than likely got kicked off the plane by that guy because the guy probably tought that Ecko had alerted the army and tipped them off about the smack...even though it was his brother. I'm not 100% sure why ecko's brother gave the tip off, maybe his conscience got the better of him.
    Anyone else think that Lostzilla was the column of smoke that Rousseau saw before the others came and took her child?

that column of smoke is going to reveal a lot in the next few episodes i think. There is every possibility that it's responsible for a lot of goings on on the island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

i still wanna know about the white light emanating from the hatch, and the attached whispers.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Great episode, the best since the start of Season 2. Some thoughts:

* Maybe the black smoke creature only shows people what's in their minds at the time it finds them. The first time Locke saw it, he saw something "beautiful", possibly because he was a very happy bunny at the time, having regained the use of his legs and found a purpose in life on the island. The second time he saw it, he was afraid cos the panic of Jack, Kate and Hurley had influnced him. Eko saw images that were weighing heavily on his mind because he was searching for the plane his brother died on when he encountered Lostzilla.

* But the creature is linked to the Others, according to the French woman, so maybe it was checking to see if Locke and Eko were suitable candidates to become Others. Maybe it decided Locke was, so it dragged him away in "Exodus". Perhaps Lostzilla thought he had potential the first time it met him but after Locke's obsession with the island led to Boone's death, the black smoke thing decided he had proved himself and was ready to be recruited.

* It'll be interesting to see how Abrams and Lindelhof explain everything in terms of "pure science": Locke's spinal regeneration, Walt's ESP, the Aussie fortune teller's genuine ability, living smoke etc. Maybe the Dharma research led to some unusual scientific discoveries on the island but how could that give Walt and the fortune teller paranormal abilities over in Australia? Unless the Land of Wonder Down Under is just as weird as the Lost island...

* Could there possibly be a link between the Locke once having spinal problems and Jack being a spinal surgeon? Lost seems to be turning out like Babylon 5 in that there are no coincidences and a throwaway line in one episode assumes far greater significance later on. Plus Mira Furlan's in both shows...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

If you listen to the monster it makes a sort of growling sound which sounds quite like the next flashback when they are loading the drugs onto the plane.Behind the sound of the propellars there is a sound of growling.

See what you all think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Franky Boy wrote:
    If you listen to the monster it makes a sort of growling sound which sounds quite like the next flashback when they are loading the drugs onto the plane.Behind the sound of the propellars there is a sound of growling.

See what you all think!

I can hear what you're talking about, but I'm not sure if they're the same noises. Similar though.

herobear wrote:
    i still wanna know about the white light emanating from the hatch, and the attached whispers.....

The white light from 1x19 is almost certainly a powerful electric light that Desmond could turn on and off from inside the hatch. (We saw him turn this on just before Kate feel down in 2x01.)

The whispers may be a side-effect of ESP among the Dharma scientists in the same way Walt appears to 'project' himself into the jungle. Maybe we're hearing the 'collective thoughts' of the Dharma scientists as they manipulate and study the island's inhabitants. (I know this sounds very like the 4815162342.com catch-all theory. I'm certainly swinging back around towards it being fairly plausible.)

Ecko more than likely got kicked off the plane by that guy because the guy probably tought that Ecko had alerted the army and tipped them off about the smack...even though it was his brother. I'm not 100% sure why ecko's brother gave the tip off, maybe his conscience got the better of him.

I think maybe Eko's colleague thought that this was the perfect opportunity to double-cross him and head off with the drugs on his own. When he arrived at the originally intended destination, he'd just say Eko couldn't make it and pocket all the cash for himself.

Eko's brother probably did think better of his original decision (risky considering Eko's gang probably would ultimately see good on their plan to burn the church), and the lives that would be affected if the heroin got to another country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

What's ESP?

Franky Boy wrote:
    What's ESP?
    Erotic Sex Powers of course... duh!

Extra Sensory Perception in actual fact...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Extra Sensory Perception or something like that.

I dunno where you're getting that from mate.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I think that Ekos brother new the plane would crash....

Extra-Sensory Perception. paranormal abilities such as precognition, telepathy, and clairvoyance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I think it is obvious that Eko's brother alerted the army and came to the plane to warn Eko not to board as it would probably be shot down. I don't think Eko knew the plane was on the island before Claire told him about the statue and Eko was simply searching for his brother to confirm what he already knew - that he was dead.

Eko does look like he turned over a new leaf when his brother went off in the plane - something of a spiritual reincarnation. He has shown his deep religious feeling with the burial of those who died in the water after the tail section landed and his 40 days of silence after killing two of the Others, plus his speech to Jack when he was intent on going after Anna Lucia with guns.

The column of smoke that Daneille talked about was simply a fire - no connection to the creature.

Hyzepher

Hyzepher wrote:
    The column of smoke that Daneille talked about was simply a fire - no connection to the creature.

Hyzepher
    We only know that the column of smoke used to convince everyone that others were coming was a fire started by Daneille. It would have been the genuine article when they came for Daneille's daughter and might have been the creature.

neah that was an actual fire that caused that smoke, you see that when Rousseau tries to take the baby, and her excuse for taking the baby was, if she brought the baby to the source of the black smoke, then they might trade her son back. it wasnt her that set the fire.

if you look back at that episode its explained

I remember Sayid saying she lit that fire herself though.

I remember Sayid saying she lit that fire herself though.
    i coulld be wrong but i remember the episode fairly well, thats why she took the baby to the source of the fire, she was bringing the baby to the others, or what she thought was the others, early on in the episode there was debate alright on wether she lit the fire or not. but the raft had set sail, and they didn't know that the others could have been coming for walt. so they said she was crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭oleras

With regard to the computer screen being clear when jack passed it, it looked like Michael had turned it off, there was a red stanby light on the right hand side of the screen, if it was turned on one would assume it would have been green ? cant look back on previous episodes at the moment, will check later tonight though, or maybe someone could do some screen grabs ?

.... which brings me to a question for the moderator..........

Why are screen shots allowed and talking of downloading is not ? i seem to remember something along the lines of....." all images remain the property of xxx and are not to be published without prior agreement blah blah blah at the end of every television and movie i have seen.....are you not breaking the law allowing these to be re-published ?

• Advertisement

oleras wrote:
    Why are .............blaah........blahh......................... re-published ?
    :v: unchecked aggression!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

With regard to the computer screen being clear when jack passed it, it looked like Michael had turned it off, there was a red stanby light on the right hand side of the screen, if it was turned on one would assume it would have been green ? cant look back on previous episodes at the moment, will check later tonight though, or maybe someone could do some screen grabs ?
    Its red even when the monitor is on, I checked. I still think the monitor is just turned off when Jack takes a look though.

Hyzepher wrote:

Until 2x10, I'd have said the same thing. Now I'm suddenly not so sure. Is it possible that the Others *and* the creature came to take the child (or both appeared separately, but the events were put together by Danielle.) Now that we've seen the creature in full as a black cloud of smoke (though it may not appear like that to the person who sees it face-on), it is at least possible that it is related to what happened to Alex.

As for "Exodus", at the time I thought Danielle brought Aaron to the column of smoke because The Others had lit the fire and wanted to take another child. In the end, this was Walt and not Aaron at all, so Danielle's taking him was in vain. I assumed The Others had lit the fire because Danielle was so far from it when she showed up at the camp. But everyone at the camp was also asleep, so it is fairly likely she did set the fire and they only noticed it once they'd all awoken. Charlie's line "There never were any Others. You started the fires yourself!" suggests that as well. She doesn't deny this, only stating that she had heard the Others whispering that they wanted to take the boy.

So maybe the original black smoke was no fire and this was just Danielle trying to recreate it. Given what they monster appears as, I reckon it did show up around the time of Alex being taken, either to take her, or as a coincidence when the Others took her.

doh.ie wrote:
    Until 2x10, I'd have said the same thing. Now I'm suddenly not so sure. Is it possible that the Others *and* the creature came to take the child (or both appeared separately, but the events were put together by Danielle.) Now that we've seen the creature in full as a black cloud of smoke (though it may not appear like that to the person who sees it face-on), it is at least possible that it is related to what happened to Alex.

As for "Exodus", at the time I thought Danielle brought Aaron to the column of smoke because The Others had lit the fire and wanted to take another child. In the end, this was Walt and not Aaron at all, so Danielle's taking him was in vain. I assumed The Others had lit the fire because Danielle was so far from it when she showed up at the camp. But everyone at the camp was also asleep, so it is fairly likely she did set the fire and they only noticed it once they'd all awoken. Charlie's line "There never were any Others. You started the fires yourself!" suggests that as well. She doesn't deny this, only stating that she had heard the Others whispering that they wanted to take the boy.

So maybe the original black smoke was no fire and this was just Danielle trying to recreate it. Given what they monster appears as, I reckon it did show up around the time of Alex being taken, either to take her, or as a coincidence when the Others took her.
    neah dont think the two are related in that way to be honest. she took the Aaron to the source of the fire when she saw it.

the fire was on the other side of the island, she was there for a while before the smoke appeared on the horizon, it only takes an hr or so for smoke to rise that high not even that, and a couple of hrs to get to it. which means she couldnt have lit the fire.

charlies line; that charlie didnt know there were any others + he thought she was crazy + the reason they didnt believe Russeau was because it didnt enter their head that walt was the one that "the others" were coming for...... she was clearly trying to trade the baby for her lost child

and how would "the others" know what the column of black smoke meant? "im here come trade the baby" neah thats a bit off.... she saw the smoke she thought if she went to it the others would be there, she could make a bargain. ofcourse the others lit the fire + it was the exact same time that walt got taken, she even said that she got it wrong it wasnt the baby they were coming for, but she was so sure. + i dont think she even saw walt or knew about him.

Fair points. It's just the specific occurence of the two kinds of black smoke that got me thinking.

So if the black plume was not started by Danielle, then the Others used that as their signal to get ready for the kidnap of Walt...? It must have been relatively visible before that morning because she had time to see it and then get to the camp to set her plan to take Aaron in motion. But maybe she's relocated to near their beach and was just around the corner.

• Advertisement
Advertisement