Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest Eircom service bulletin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

What bollox! I can't believe NTL haven't rolled out all of Dublin 15 yet I am dying to dump them and get rid of this crappy cap rubbish. If €ircon start charging then I'm certain BT will follow. I'll dump them first chance I get.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If €ircon start charging then I'm certain BT will follow.

Emmmm , would that not require an accurate and reliable billing system like the one eircom has ??? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

What bollox! I can't believe NTL haven't rolled out all of Dublin 15 yet I am dying to dump them and get rid of this crappy cap rubbish. If €ircon start charging then I'm certain BT will follow. I'll dump them first chance I get.

Same here dude,

i was tolerating their overcharging cause they were not charging for going over the cap, but this, this really sucks! :( screw such "upgrade" I'd be much happier with the same speed but no cap.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

For anyone on BT... This is all I got out of them, which is essentially nothing. Hell one of the live chat guys said he knows nothing about an upgrade. That made me laugh. Anyway...
    In the terms & conditions, it states that BT reserve the right to charge 3c/MB over your monthly quota. BT also reserve the right to suspend accounts until the next monthly download period, should the user grossly overuse their broadband download allocation. Serial offenders face being banned from using broadband altogether.

For the time being, BT are keeping the same caps.

It'll remain to be seen whether they keep this policy (I asked for confirmation in a follow-up). I just decided to ask a few questions while getting them to fix my stats. So I wasn't mailing them to just be a total pest. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Sarunas

In the terms & conditions, it states that BT reserve the right to charge 3c/MB over your monthly quota. BT also reserve the right to suspend accounts until the next monthly download period, should the user grossly overuse their broadband download allocation. Serial offenders face being banned from using broadband altogether.
    For the time being, BT are keeping the same caps.
    halenger wrote:
    It'll remain to be seen whether they keep this policy (I asked for confirmation in a follow-up).
    Let us know.

I'm not sure I'll be able to survive on 1gb for the rest of the month...

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

This is all I got back. Interesting how it was emphasised...
    If you read the terms & conditions, BT *reserve the right*, in the case of a user continually going over their download caps, to either charge per MB over quota, suspend the account or cancel the account outright. It is done on a case-by-case basis. This means that these actions MAY be taken, depending on how much a user flouts the usage caps.

Oh and my he requested my usage be fixed - that's nice. I don't think I've used it that much. Sure it's only 13 days into this month/year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I just checked my stats on the Eircom page and even though the system has been upgraded, I don't see anything different with it.

Of course this is me assuming that the stats page should show you how much you are going to be charged for going over the cap if they have implemented such a system that is, which I don't think they have but I suppose we'll have to wait until the next round of bills come in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Of course this is me assuming that the stats page should show you how much you are going to be charged for going over the cap if they have implemented such a system that is, which I don't think they have but I suppose we'll have to wait until the next round of bills come in!

I reckon all we need is a few brave souls to take a hit for the team and go over it within the next few months.

I recall it being a fairly fierce price for going over the cap though, even if you only went over it by a gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Could they backlog all of the exceeded months since we have been with them? They could obviously because of the T&C's. That would be a hefty cash in. Ive gone over by 100% every month since August. Oh poop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Could they backlog all of the exceeded months since we have been with them? They could obviously because of the T&C's. That would be a hefty cash in. Ive gone over by 100% every month since August. Oh poop!
    I'll be Bankrupt.
    I've been over by an average of 400% the last few months.
    I Dont see why Eircom couldnt have charged in the past for going over the cap as the Download statistics page is quite accurate,agreeing well with Bandwidth Download Pro I have running.
    I'll plead ignorance or insanity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'll be Bankrupt.
    I've been over by an average of 400% the last few months.
    I Dont see why Eircom couldnt have charged in the past for going over the cap as the Download statistics page is quite accurate,agreeing well with Bandwidth Download Pro I have running.
    I'll plead ignorance or insanity.

*snigger* Not laughing at you personally, but just imagine the chat with your bank manager. And phychiatrist. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

what is eircom's cap?
    i tried checking the stats thing but it told me to piss off and come back later.

i'd say i'm fairly boned though.
    i'm a torrent whore. well, if the extra money goes to the relevant movie studio's, then i won't feel as guilty. :D

*disclaimer
    i use torrents to preview dvd's that i am considering buying. i find it akin to going into my local xtra-vision and watching the movie they are showing on the onstore tv's, but without the discomfort of standing for 90 minutes and having the clerk give me funny looks. i also use them for tv shows that don't air here, but do air on FTA channels in other countries.

edited to add:

eircomcap.jpg

i'm boned. :D

whoah. check this out.

damn.jpg

icon_thumbup.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭kmurph

You might want to blank out your phone number in the top and bottom of the screenshots julep. Wouldn't want anyone getting onto Eircom and ratting you out. :p

meh. i'm sure they're well aware of who's using what site and what they're using it for. besides, all my torrents are 100% legal.
    nothing wrong with the likes of this: http://newvoyages.mine.nu:1701/?sort=15

like i said, 100% legal.
    ffs. you made me all paranoid and killed my three can buzz. i'm gonna have to edit those pics now. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

As I said, I think it's fairly safe to assume that Eircom HAVE NOT implemented a system to charge you. While it may sound like something Eircom may do, the absence of a figure stating the amount of money you will be charged would be suicidal on the part of Eircom and would invite countless amounts of complaints.

Also there would almost surely be an option present to allow you to decide whether or not you want to have your broadband cut off once you hit the cap like what UTV have to offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

grimloch wrote:
    I reckon all we need is a few brave souls to take a hit for the team and go over it within the next few months.
    Volunteering, Private Grimloch? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

I don't think it's ever safe to assume anything..........especially where Irish Telco's are concerned........how would it be suicidal for them not to have a money counter on the page - others don't, as long as they list the usage amount that's enough, as they've already stated how much they could charge you if you go over the limit - and as well as that Eircom have never had any thoughts or worries about receiving tonnes of complaints from their customers, if they had they wouldn't have done things the way they have over the years......:D
    As I said, I think it's fairly safe to assume that Eircom HAVE NOT implemented a system to charge you. While it may sound like something Eircom may do, the absence of a figure stating the amount of money you will be charged would be suicidal on the part of Eircom and would invite countless amounts of complaints.

Also there would almost surely be an option present to allow you to decide whether or not you want to have your broadband cut off once you hit the cap like what UTV have to offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Volunteering, Private Grimloch? :D

Me? God no!

I don't pay the bill and I would most certainly be hit if a large bill arrived in the letterbox.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They can go backcharge 3 months or a year , cannot remember which. I doubt they will but they may clatter a few hogs who bust their caps constantly.....pour encourager les autres !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Talked to someone senior in eircom broadband about this.

It seems they're going to double speeds and caps in Jan sometime (may have done so already?) - it may be there way to try stem the exodus to other cheaper ISPs.

As far as billing for excess of caps, they apparently have no plans for this. If they were to go ahead, they'd have to set up, train and staff a new CS team to deal with complaints and billing specifically related to bandwidth billing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Sarunas

Great news :).

psi wrote:
    Talked to someone senior in eircom broadband about this.

It seems they're going to double speeds and caps in Jan sometime (may have done so already?) - it may be there way to try stem the exodus to other cheaper ISPs.

As far as billing for excess of caps, they apparently have no plans for this. If they were to go ahead, they'd have to set up, train and staff a new CS team to deal with complaints and billing specifically related to bandwidth billing.

Eh....to be honest, after reading this
    they're going to double speeds
    I have a hard time believing the rest of senior's words.

hmm... I think there is some kind of a bug in boards,

Aristotle, just replied to my reply, I got an email notification with his reply, but I can't see it here :/

well I believe that guy, but speeds aren't being doubled ;) atleast not for plus customers
    that's what made me kinda .... what's the word I'm looking for?

and what a hell is wrong with 30GB!? couldn't they make it atleast 32??? or 35?

Yeah I deleted the message because I misread your post. :o

lol,

you shouldn't have :)

you gave a nice link there. Anyways, here it is.

CyberGhost wrote:
    Eh....to be honest, after reading this I have a hard time believing the rest of senior's words.
    Just curious as to why ?

Because he's wrong. The lines are being increased by 1mb, not being doubled.

Because he's wrong. The lines are being increased by 1mb, not being doubled.

Hrmmm, perhaps he specifically meant the home start (Which is to be doubled and what I am on).

I'm just wondering was it general naysay/disbelief or was he just incredulous to the idea of an increase by eircom.

• Advertisement

psi wrote:
    Hrmmm, perhaps he specifically meant the home start (Which is to be doubled and what I am on).

I'm just wondering was it general naysay/disbelief or was he just incredulous to the idea of an increase by eircom.

It was disbelief :o

I already knew that eircom were going to increase only by a little, so doubling was not right.

Well, I really hope that guy is right(and he meant home), especially about enforcing caps, what he said makes sense, but what if they already set up stuff and trained stuff? and are ready? that's why they published the bulletin?

Advertisement