Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caol le caol

Options
  • 11-01-2006 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

i am in school studing Gaeilge not my best however i was under the impression that every word in irish followed the rule but on a pass by the airport i noticed it said "aerfort" was i mistaken or is there something wrong?:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

An exception! It works for most words, well in written form anyway.

I suppose on irish translated from english rather than irish-irish there's a difference
    it's like the zú thing - there is no z in irish but that's the irish for zoo :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

Ní bhaineann an riail sin le comhfhocail; focail déanta as dhá fhocal nasctha le chéile.

That rule does not apply to compound words.

Aerfort = aer + fort.

also

Aerphost = aer + post (airmail)

Aerchaidéal = aer + caidéal (air pump)

However you have 'caol le caol' in the word 'caidéal'.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

E on it's own is slender(caol) but "ae" is a broad diphthong. Diphthongs are a rarity but they don't conform to the 'leathan le leathan, caol le caol' rule.
    Hence, Gaeltacht, Grósaeir etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

Gael wrote:
    E on it's own is slender(caol) but "ae" is a broad diphthong. Diphthongs are a rarity but they don't conform to the 'leathan le leathan, caol le caol' rule.
    Hence, Gaeltacht, Grósaeir etc.

Oops! Tá an ceart ar fad ag Gael. Sorry for misleading you somewhat on that, Scout. I should of course have noticed that ‘ae’ is a broad diphthong, as in ‘aeróg,’ ‘aerach,’ ‘laethanta,’ ‘Caesar’ etc. Duh!

However, the point I made about compound words not being governed by the caol le caol, leathan le leathan rule still applies even if ‘aerfort’ was not a good example. e.g. ‘Mórshiúl, ‘lámhleabhar,’ and of course; 'défhoghar' / 'diphthong.' :)

Níl saoi gan locht agus is cinnte nach saoi Míshásta.

• Advertisement
Advertisement