Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Partition/bootloader woes

• 11-01-2006 4:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

Hi, if any kindly soul could help me it'd be greatly appreciated.

I used partition magic to create a new partition to install Fedora 4 alongside WinXP. When i rebooted, it appears no bootloader was installed as i got the scary message "Error loading operating system".

I then managed to get Fedora installed, but still no bootloader. I am a bit of a linux newbie so i think Grub is installed but i'm not sure... Could anyone let me know of a foolproof method of a) checking if grub is installed, and if not, installing it and b) using grub to install a bootloader so i can access my NTFS partition and make sure all my precious data is still there?

Sorry if i'm being an asswipe, I've googled the problem and can't seem to follow anything. Thanks again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Mach

cornbb wrote:
    Hi, if any kindly soul could help me it'd be greatly appreciated.

I used partition magic to create a new partition to install Fedora 4 alongside WinXP. When i rebooted, it appears no bootloader was installed as i got the scary message "Error loading operating system".

I then managed to get Fedora installed, but still no bootloader. I am a bit of a linux newbie so i think Grub is installed but i'm not sure... Could anyone let me know of a foolproof method of a) checking if grub is installed, and if not, installing it and b) using grub to install a bootloader so i can access my NTFS partition and make sure all my precious data is still there?

Sorry if i'm being an asswipe, I've googled the problem and can't seem to follow anything. Thanks again.

Ok if your using Partion magic 8, just pop in , and it should boot from the CD-Rom,there will be about 3 options, i think the second one says boot magic
    select your NTFS partion and you should be able to boot in win XP.Also when i set my computer I always put a /boot partion, usally after the NTFS for my boot loader, also use boot magic is come it partion maigic.I never put it in the MBR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Solved the problem, apparently the linux bootloader has a bug where it occasionally hides your NTFS partition. A simple "unhide" command in GRUB fixed the problem, although i got one hell of a scare there...

Advertisement