Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio with COAX socket?

Options
  • 11-01-2006 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭

I want a bedside clock-radio with a coax socket built in. Does anyone know of one?

Yes, I know I can just connect a wire from the FM socket to the aerial on any radio, but that looks like a dog's breakfast.

Failing finding a radio with a coax socket, is there any other neat solution to getting BBC FM to my existing clock radio?

Many thanks.

D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I know Sony do a coax to 3.5mm jack adapter if that's any help. They supply them as an accessory with their digital short wave radios. You might be able to buy it on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Hagar,

By 'jack adaptor' I assume you mean like a headphone/earphone socket. Right?

If so, which size is 3.5mm. Is it the headphone socket or the smaller earphone one? My current radio only has the earphone size.

Thanks.

D.

Exactly. It's the size of an earphone socket. You could probably make one up if you are any way handy with a soldering iron. The core of the aerial should be connected to the tip connector and the braid to the outer connector. You can get the parts in Peats/Maplins or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

The 3.5mm jack adaptor will only work on radios with a 3.5mm antenna socket (only ones I've seen are some Sony models). It will not work with a headphone socket.

I know this baby has an F connector socket for FM:
    http://ie.europe.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=261&subcategory=262&product=10276
    http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=7685&type=5&path=10x7677

Generally speaking, only the more expensive radios have antenna sockets - check with your local radio/tv retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Snowbat wrote:
    The 3.5mm jack adaptor will only work on radios with a 3.5mm antenna socket (only ones I've seen are some Sony models). It will not work with a headphone socket.

That's that then. ;-(

I have a Roberts R983 (see here> http://www.aandcaudio.co.uk/Roberts-R983-Portable-Radio-pid2081.htm ) Fabulous radio, but it doesn't have an antenna socket, only an earphone socket.

Apart from finding a radio with a coax socket, has anyone come up with another solution?

Thanks.

D.

• Advertisement

Sorry I was under the impression you had an aerial socket of earphone size.

I wouldn't be too hard to open the case and drill a small hole to fit an earphone sized aerial socket. You can even carefully make the hole with the hot tip of a soldering iron. Then undo the internal wiring from the radio to the current aerial and connect it to the new socket.

Advertisement