Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

United Vs Blackburn! Will Alex never learn??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Am I the only one who would absolutely love to thump Robbie Savage if I ever met him, I've never come across a player who thinks he is such a hard man but when there is the slightest bit of confrontation he rolls around the ground like a 4 year old. The incident with Rooney was a disgrace, he should get a 3 match ban for his reaction.

He's one of these players who'll fly two footed with high challenges from behind another players back, yet he'll act like some sort of tough guy, until he is confronted, then he'll roll around the ground as if he's been shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

masterK wrote:
    Am I the only one who would absolutely love to thump Robbie Savage if I ever met him, I've never come across a player who thinks he is such a hard man but when there is the slightest bit of confrontation he rolls around the ground like a 4 year old. The incident with Rooney was a disgrace, he should get a 3 match ban for his reaction.

He's one of these players who'll fly two footed with high challenges from behind another players back, yet he'll act like some sort of tough guy, until he is confronted, then he'll roll around the ground as if he's been shot.

Lol..did nobody watch the game or are you all Man Utd supporters. Smith fouled someone and was on the ground and the ball broke to Rooney and Savage, they where trying to get the ball off each other and Smith came through the 2 of them and ploughed them out of it. Rooney thought that Savage had done it and went to react to Savage so Savage grabbed his head to stop him while Smith was on the ground crying at the ref that Savage should be booked.

Ref ran over and fell over Rooney and gave Savage a knee in the head. His injury was from the initial tackle from behind by Smith and also the knee butt to the head. Smith should have been sent off for 1. tackle from behind, 2. Dangerous play, 3. 10 secs before that he made a tackle that he should have got a yellow card for anyway

The only person who should get a ban is Smith. Savage managed to calm down Rooney who looked like he was going to clock Savage one which would have meant him being sent off.

Its the usual stuff on here anyway about Blackburn being a "bruiser" team. Are you joking? maybe last season but they are no way near that team anymore. They had to play like that last season becasue they couldnt score goal so the only way was to make sure you couldnt beat them.

Oh yeah masterK I think your just reading the press cr*p about Savage. He is one of the most consistant midfielder in the PL. See what happened Birmingham after they left? did you watch the Italy v Wales game a few season ago? it was Savage v Italy for the whole game.

He is a great midfielder who breaks up the play and can pass the ball well. Also comes up with a few goals but was a bad miss at start of game. I dont think he actually sees himself as a hard man, he just tackles and makes a nuisence of himself in midfield. Has a moan at refs alot but alot of player do tat. See Rio crying the whole time for off side last night when the player wasn't active. Don't hear about that in paper. Savage is just an easy target

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Lol..did nobody watch the game or are you all Man Utd supporters

haha, its funny cos its true :) great line

united just seem so fulnerable when rio plays, he's beyond awfull. thought van der sar broke his neck with that fall. nasty stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Hobart wrote:
    I must be watching a different game?? Was it not Smith who ploughed into the back of Savage? :rolleyes: Typical TBH.
    Is this the way it's gonna be from now on Hobart? Somebody says something to you in another thread and then you follow them around with snide comments in other threads? I can see a pattern.

Smith's challenge was wrong and he was rightly booked but I was commenting on the fact that Savage had Rooney in a head lock and then acted like a little girl when Rooney reacted. I actually really like Savage as a player but he's either a hard man or not. However, the way he reacts to the slightest challenge would suggest that he's not.

B.

BaZmO* wrote:
    Smith's challenge was wrong and he was rightly booked but I was commenting on the fact that Savage had Rooney in a head lock and then acted like a little girl when Rooney reacted. I actually really like Savage as a player but he's either a hard man or not. However, the way he reacts to the slightest challenge would suggest that he's not..

Again didnt react to Rooney but grabbed him to stop him clocking him one. Watch the look on Rooney's face, he though Savage had gone through him on that tackle when it was Smith. Savage injury was from Smiths tackle which most player would get hurt if someone slides through you and then hits a player on the other side of you. Also a knee butt from ref would have hurt but if you watch when he is walking to side of pitch it is back of leg that was hurt.

Again see the way Rooney and Savage went over to each other to shake hands after the game. If Rooney blamed Savage he wouldnt do this because as we all know he has a bit of a temper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

shepthedog wrote:
    8 yellow cards?? Was it a dirty match or just a bit physical??

One one isnt bad result for United.. Pedersen has a nasty habit of scoring against United.. Hes a good player, hes coming into his own, wouldnt be a bad signing for United maybe..

15 million and Blackburn might just think about it. Can't see it happening though. If he leaves I can see it being to someone like Barcelona or a big team in Italy. He really is that good. United were pretty much doubling up on him for most of the game. Thank god he signed though, I never thought we'd get such a great replacement for Duff.

Again didnt react to Rooney but grabbed him to stop him clocking him one. Watch the look on Rooney's face, he though Savage had gone through him on that tackle when it was Smith. Savage injury was from Smiths tackle which most player would get hurt if someone slides through you and then hits a player on the other side of you. Also a knee butt from ref would have hurt but if you watch when he is walking to side of pitch it is back of leg that was hurt.

Again see the way Rooney and Savage went over to each other to shake hands after the game. If Rooney blamed Savage he wouldnt do this because as we all know he has a bit of a temper!

Well said Big Nelly. I know I'm biased but just after the shenanigans took place, I even got a text off a friend who supports Man United saying "look at that for a tackle from Smith, Blackburn won't initimidate us". So even United fans themselves could see it was a dirty tackle.

He tried to go in on Friedel like a hard man in the second half too and ended up injuring himself.

All in all, I'm happy with the first leg. Blackburn created a good few chances and, bar Van Nistelrooy, IMO United fielded the strongest team they could of. I could easily see us grabbing a 1-0 victory in two weeks or holding on for penalties.

Kuqi had a poor game but hopefully he'll be better in the second leg. Bellamy looked sharp and I was a bit disappointed that Pedersen faded, like alot of the team, in the second half.

If Smith wants to act the tough man in the second leg, we'll bring on the 'hacksaw' Mokoena. Let's see how tough him and Rooney are when he's on the pitch :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

BaZmO* wrote:
    Is this the way it's gonna be from now on Hobart? Somebody says something to you in another thread and then you follow them around with snide comments in other threads? I can see a pattern.

Smith's challenge was wrong and he was rightly booked but I was commenting on the fact that Savage had Rooney in a head lock and then acted like a little girl when Rooney reacted. I actually really like Savage as a player but he's either a hard man or not. However, the way he reacts to the slightest challenge would suggest that he's not.

B.
    If you have any issues with my posts report them. The report this post button is located just below my avatar.

Just for clarification, the "snide" comment as you put it, was not directed at you.

Savage did not "start it" as you put it. He was fouled by Smith. Rooney ended up on top of him and Savage put Rooney in a head lock, for which he was correctly booked.

Lemlin wrote:
    Kuqi had a poor game but hopefully he'll be better in the second leg. Bellamy looked sharp and I was a bit disappointed that Pedersen faded, like alot of the team, in the second half.

The "traitor" was brutal last night. Was a good few opening and the ball was passed to him and he lost control and ended up with nothing. Most notably was when Bentley was running through and Bellamy was in centre. Ball was passed to "traitor" and he let he go past him and was lucky to get a cornor because of Brown making a mess of it. Was surpirsed Hughes didnt bring on Dickov earlier. But when he did come on he made a few tackles which if he was on any longer could have been sent off. Mind you it wasnt a booking for him. Sure he didnt touch Neville.

Think the team was tired. very few of the Utd player where in the team on Sunday.
    Lemlin wrote:
    If Smith wants to act the tough man in the second leg, we'll bring on the 'hacksaw' Mokoena. Let's see how tough him and Rooney are when he's on the pitch :)

The only player in PL that Chelsea are farid of....lol....he even looks like a nut case. Hasn't really being playing much this season. Is he injuryed?

Big Nelly wrote:
    The "traitor" was brutal last night. Was a good few opening and the ball was passed to him and he lost control and ended up with nothing. Most notably was when Bentley was running through and Bellamy was in centre. Ball was passed to "traitor" and he let he go past him and was lucky to get a cornor because of Brown making a mess of it. Was surpirsed Hughes didnt bring on Dickov earlier. But when he did come on he made a few tackles which if he was on any longer could have been sent off. Mind you it wasnt a booking for him. Sure he didnt touch Neville.

Think the team was tired. very few of the Utd player where in the team on Sunday.

The only player in PL that Chelsea are farid of....lol....he even looks like a nut case. Hasn't really being playing much this season. Is he injuryed?

Kuqi has the potential to play alot better. I think Hughes played him instead of Dickov because he's bigger physically, and harder to handle. That said, pest is a handful for anyone. I'd like to see Dickov start the second leg, he's a better natural finisher than Kuqi, and you could see Bellamy getting frustrated with Kuqi last night.

Mokoena isn't injured. Not sure what the deal is with him and the African Nations Cup. AFAIK he's over there at the moment. There was a bit of controversey in that he was late joining up with the South African team. Because of this, they had a re-election of the captaincy.

When he arrived, he wasn't too happy with this and left. He came back to Blackburn but, as I said, AFAIK he's went back. He hasn't got much of a look in this season at Rovers. He was a good signing but Save/Tugay/Reid pretty much had cntral midfield sewn up at the minute.

Speaking of Reid, I'd like to see him start in the second leg against United too. He's another player coming into his own recently.

• Advertisement

Hobart wrote:
    If you have any issues with my posts report them. The report this post button is located just below my avatar.

Just for clarification, the "snide" comment as you put it, was not directed at you.

Savage did not "start it" as you put it. He was fouled by Smith. Rooney ended up on top of him and Savage put Rooney in a head lock, for which he was correctly booked.

Savage did not start it at all. Just look at this recollection of the incident I just read:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=192403&cc=5739

Kuqi's main involvement prior to that had been a barge into Van der Sar which brought one of a regular stream of protests from the home camp at the decisions of referee Rob Styles.

Bellamy, never one to hold back an opinion, offered Styles a few choice words. The official responded with a yellow card, instantly wiping away the Welshman's hoped-for visit to old club Newcastle on January 21.

Alan Smith's attempt to resolve the impasse was a wild lunge at the Welshman, which could easily have resulted in a red, rather than yellow card.

Savage, now on the ground, twisted away and wrapped an arm round Rooney's throat, the England firebrand responding with a clear shove in the Blackburn man's face. All three were cautioned, much to Hughes' obvious disgust, Rooney's punishment ruling him out of next week's FA Cup replay with Burton.

I'm sure alot of people, like myself, saw that with their own eyes too. Smith was the perpetrator, not Savage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

I thought It was a decent game last night.United should have won had they been a bit more clinical in the last 20 minutes. Hopefully United can beat them at OT. Rooney,Giggs,Saha, Brown and FLETCHER were all excellent. I was very suprised with fletchers display, i counted him only giving the ball away twice and he was also quick in the tackle all evening. Giggs and Saha linked well at times, Brown often covered the wandering Rio Ferdinand who has the concentration of a 3 year old and Rooney was his usual class self. I was disappointed with Gary Neville his distribution was terrible all night and Pederson was definitely allowed to make too much room for himself although i put some of this down to Ronaldo not tracking back.

Blackburn are a decent honest side, when i looked at the team sheet i was thinking that nearly all the blackburn players could match their man utd opposites on their day, i thought Neal and Gray had a decent games at the back, Pedersen was quality on the left but still has a long way to go before you can slap a 15million tag on him. i've watched him a few times now and although i think he's really good he tends to drift in and out of games. Bellamy gave united problems in the first half and was then knackered in the second half, he also should have got a penalty from (doobie smoking) Rio. I dont think yer man kuqi cuts it at the top level and i personally would pick dickov every time before him.

Its now setup for a good second leg, i dont think United have an advantage playing at old trafford these days. They dont have the intelligence in midfield to breakdown defensive minded opposition. Gone are the days when United can hop off teams like Blackburn and put 3 or 4 past them but heres hoping!!

One thing I can say which nobody will disagree with was that last nights game was 10 times better than the Wigan v Arsenal game when the best thing was too see all the lights go out:D

I thought It was a decent game last night.United should have won had they been a bit more clinical in the last 20 minutes. Hopefully United can beat them at OT. Rooney,Giggs,Saha, Brown and FLETCHER were all excellent. I was very suprised with fletchers display, i counted him only giving the ball away twice and he was also quick in the tackle all evening. Giggs and Saha linked well at times, Brown often covered the wandering Rio Ferdinand who has the concentration of a 3 year old and Rooney was his usual class self. I was disappointed with Gary Neville his distribution was terrible all night and Pederson was definitely allowed to make too much room for himself although i put some of this down to Ronaldo not tracking back.

Blackburn are a decent honest side, when i looked at the team sheet i was thinking that nearly all the blackburn players could match their man utd opposites on their day, i thought Neal and Gray had a decent games at the back, Pedersen was quality on the left but still has a long way to go before you can slap a 15million tag on him. i've watched him a few times now and although i think he's really good he tends to drift in and out of games. Bellamy gave united problems in the first half and was then knackered in the second half, he also should have got a penalty from (doobie smoking) Rio. I dont think yer man kuqi cuts it at the top level and i personally would pick dickov every time before him.

Its now setup for a good second leg, i dont think United have an advantage playing at old trafford these days. They dont have the intelligence in midfield to breakdown defensive minded opposition. Gone are the days when United can hop off teams like Blackburn and put 3 or 4 past them but heres hoping!!

Pedersen has showed his class since he got his chance at Blackburn. In a world where United paid 12 million for Cristiano Ronaldo, he's worth every penny of 15 million. I was watching the two of them last night and you wouldn't believe which one had only cost the guts of 3 million. He has six goals and six assists in the PL alone so far this season. Only Frank Lampard has a better record from midfield.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

http://www.football365.com/news/story_174005.shtml

http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,9753,1684513,00.html

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2006010685,00.html

http://www.thesun.co.uk/section/0,,3,00.html

http://www.itv-football.co.uk/Story/0,14272,6145_941364,00.html

Can anyone find me a reference there to where it states that Savage grabbed his head to stop him from going at him..... or maybe all the reporters above are wrong and are United supporters.... grow up girls, if you cannot add anything constructive to the thread then don't bother, no one wants to be ready pages of troll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭Xterminator

It was a lot better than the other semi alright.

I think United payed Rovers quite a complement by fielding their best team except VanN. And even there, alex was probably watching the partnership between Saha and Rooney develop. I'm not saying Saha is better, just his style suits Rooney's better.

I think its slight advantage to United, but as Rovers have shown, they are capable of winning at Old Trafford.

PS Just like to add Savage has never been sent off in his club career, unlike Smith or Rooney. Not that i expect any United supporters to remove their rose tinted shades, just stating that savage has played 423 first team games, with 0 red cards.

Rooney (148 appearances 2 red) and Smith's (296 and 8 red's) would i think demonstrate just how the united duo have played approx the same no. of games combined, and been sent off 10 times between them. And United fans are saying Savage is the culprit?

Get real!

X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

BaZmO* wrote:
    Is this the way it's gonna be from now on Hobart? Somebody says something to you in another thread and then you follow them around with snide comments in other threads? I can see a pattern..

Got to agree with that. I hope that's going to be acted upon if it continues because if not we will be back to square one on this forum and I don't believe anyone would want to see that. I appreciate it is a difficult situation for the mods of this forum but the charter does cover such behaviour
    BaZmO* wrote:

B.

To be fair to Savage he did say in his aftermatch interview that he had no problem with Smiths challenge as it's a mans game and he though the Ref made the right decisions.

I see the tabloid are talking about all out war between Savage and Rooney which is strange as both players shook hands after the game and both played down the incident in their post match interviews which was refreshing to see. Storm in a teacup IMHO.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

No one said he was the culprit, Smith started it with a big lunge, but to say that Savage was trying to stop Rooney but grabbing his head is a bit off.

How he has never seen red is gas, even the presenters in the studio had a laugh about it. He has been walking the line for ages, obviously cat lucky to have got away without a red

Lemlin wrote:
    Pedersen has showed his class since he got his chance at Blackburn. In a world where United paid 12 million for Cristiano Ronaldo, he's worth every penny of 15 million. I was watching the two of them last night and you wouldn't believe which one had only cost the guts of 3 million. He has six goals and six assists in the PL alone so far this season. Only Frank Lampard has a better record from midfield.

I knew somebody would bring Ronaldo's transfer up, i agree Ronaldo isnt worth 12 million and based on form this season pedersen is a better player, based on form of the last couple of season Ronaldo is definitely the better player, pedersen wasnt up to much until the end of last year and this year but sparky seems to have got the best out of him now. It's worth pointing out that Ronaldo is about 4 years younger than Pedersen.
    transfer fees aren't as inflated as they used to be, blackburn would let him go for around 8-10 million and if they were selling to Chelsea it probably would be 15 million.

yop wrote:
    No one said he was the culprit, Smith started it with a big lunge, but to say that Savage was trying to stop Rooney but grabbing his head is a bit off.

How he has never seen red is gas, even the presenters in the studio had a laugh about it. He has been walking the line for ages, obviously cat lucky to have got away without a red

Did you watch the game? you base your judgement of soccer games on what a journo writes? lol....enough said!

No I didn't and yes of course I believe everything they write....

Well at least it seems that some of us and the editors of the papers and the owners of sky have an objective view, but hey we are the adults around here.

Back to work, some of us are not on school holidays

• Advertisement

yop wrote:
    No I didn't and yes of course I believe everything they write....

Well at least it seems that some of us and the editors of the papers and the owners of sky have an objective view, but hey we are the adults around here.

Back to work, some of us are not on school holidays

Objective? I dont see you being objective! you just came on here and posted alot of links to differnet websites saying that was your reason for saying Savage should have been sent off. The comments I made was because I watched the game. If any player in all of that was going to be sent off it was Smith who in your "objective view" you havent mentioned at all even thou he took out two players including Rooney but sure that ok because he was in a red jersey:rolleyes:
    yop wrote:
    grow up girls, if you cannot add anything constructive to the thread then don't bother, no one wants to be ready pages of troll

Should take some of your own advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Savage had Rooney locked with his legs.
    Smith came in, possibly to get the ball but I doubt it, and creamed Savage. Red Card.
    Savage then got Rooney in a head lock. Red Card. [To suggest Savage grabbed him to stop Rooney hitting him is quite funny btw]
    Rooney then shoved Savage in the face. Red Card.
    Also then a Blackburn player pushed Rio away quite strongly. Red Card.
    Rio then pushed him in the face. Red Card

All five of these offenses deserve a red card in the actual rules.
    Three of them got a yellow.
    What would you have preferred?
    9 men vs. 8 men?
    Or three yellows?
    Which would most people have rathered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Rooney (148 appearances 2 red) and Smith's (296 and 8 red's) would i think demonstrate just how the united duo have played approx the same no. of games combined, and been sent off 10 times between them. And United fans are saying Savage is the culprit?

Get real!

X

There's more to dirty play than GBH on the pitch.

I don't like his behaviour on the pitch. He's a wind up merchant, and is particularly adept at judging just how much physical stuff he can get away with on the pitch. He routinely appears to be the injured party when it comes to handbags, and IMO this leads to the other party getting the blame when its often a 50/50 case.

TBH, I think this approach to the game is as bad as diving, in that its a dishonest attempt at provoking a response from the opposition in the hope of winning a free, or getting them booked/sent off.

I'm loath to mention another Blackburn player, but Lucas Neill's sending off against Spurs in the league had an element of this in it, I was more pissed off with Neill grabbing Snoop Gardner's balls (to provoke a response) than with the tackle that led to him walking.

Some players combine that with the more physical dirty play, like Vinnie Jones and Dennis Wise. Ex-Spurs LB Mauricio Taricco was another master of the black arts, equally capable of assault and piss-taking.

[edit]Sorry,meant to add. What annoys me more about Savage is that he's actually a pretty capable footballer, certainly good enough for the top half of the league and could conceivably stake a claim to a place in a side aiming for european qualification[/edit]

PHB wrote:
    All five of these offenses deserve a red card in the actual rules.
    Three of them got a yellow.
    What would you have preferred?
    9 men vs. 8 men?
    Or three yellows?
    Which would most people have rathered?

I think the ref got it right. Give all three a yellow card and let the game continue. If he flashed one red then all 3 could have gone and ruined what was a good game. problem after that was ref forgot to put back card in his pocket and some of the yellow cards where not necassary but a good game with great passion!

Big Nelly wrote:
    Did you watch the game? you base your judgement of soccer games on what a journo writes? lol....enough said!

Nelly, just because a poster references a comment in the media doesn't make their opinion baseless. I think its a fair assumption to make that if yop saw the pundits reactions in the studio then he probably watched the game.

It is possible to form one's own opinions then use media comments to support that opinion.

Whats crazy is people bemoan that the game is becoming less physical, and when you see a referreee acting exactly the way he should in this case to keep a good game going, he is crucified.

Nelly, just because a poster references a comment in the media doesn't make their opinion baseless. I think its a fair assumption to make that if yop saw the pundits reactions in the studio then he probably watched the game.

It is possible to form one's own opinions then use media comments to support that opinion.

I never said his opinion was baseless, but maybe re-read back what he said. Came on here and said that we shouldn't be commenting on the game because what we are saying doesn't agree whats in the papers. He never had an opinion for me to say was baseless
    yop wrote:
    grow up girls, if you cannot add anything constructive to the thread then don't bother, no one wants to be ready pages of troll

So on other words because i seen the tackle and grabbing of Rooney differnet than what he seen my arguement is not constructive? don't think so. He/she never made a valid point just came on quoting aload of websites and said that everyone elses point wasn't "constructive" because it didnt agree with some Jorno wrote. He/she never put forward an opinion of his own just one he found published on the web.

In regards to me asking about watching the game I seen that he watched the game but I meant this in sarcastic tone. Sorry but it was lost on some people

Big Nelly wrote:
    I never said his opinion was baseless,

You implied it.
    Big Nelly wrote:
    you base your judgement of soccer games on what a journo writes? lol....enough said!

Big Nelly wrote:
    He/she never made a valid point just came on quoting aload of websites and said that everyone elses point wasn't "constructive" because it didnt agree with some Jorno wrote. He/she never put forward an opinion of his own just one he found published on the web.

Really? This is the post you were replying to (that prompted my post):
    yop wrote:

Seems like an opinion to me, that you implied was baseless with the reply above.

You've thrown a similar accusation at me in the past, and have done the same to another poster on this thread.

Smith who in your "objective view" you havent mentioned at all even thou he took out two players including Rooney but sure that ok because he was in a red jersey

For the love of god man will you either post sense or post nothing, READ WHAT I POSTED AT 10:58 - Did I mentioned Smith, Did I put forward an opinion.....

If you look I mentioned the study guests, to me and obviously others this implies I saw the game.

Get your statements right before you start ranting

You've thrown a similar accusation at me in the past, and have done the same to another poster on this thread.

Are you refering to the quote about everyone being a Utd fan on this thread? if so get a life will you. I was taking the pi*s and God sorry if thats not allowed on here. I'm so sorry. No more crack allowed on board, therecklessesone says so and we all must bow down

Oh yeah where did I throw this accusation? was it from a long distance or was I close up? I can't remember what I do throw around these days. One time I threw a stone so far I couldn't see where it landed. It was a mighty throw

Now back on topic if everyone is ok?

Yop not ranting just making a point. I never rant on here and if I do will tell ya. Some people take this board far too serious!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

Pederson stands out because he plays for Blackburn.

Put him in the same team as Joe Cole/Duff/Robben/Ljunberg/Pires/Giggs and he wouldn't get a game. Good goal last night tho.

Jammer wrote:

Put him in the same team as Joe Cole/Duff/Robben/Ljunberg/Pires/Giggs and he wouldn't get a game. Good goal last night tho.

Wouldn't say that, he is a class winger and good crosses of the ball. As said last night he never seems to score a tap in. Always a cracker from 20 years or a difficlut angle. He does drift out of the game at times but this can happen to most wingers. I would put him in ahead of Robben anyday in a team. Better attitude to the game. Robben seems to think he is great already and doesnt need to work where as Pederson will work up and down the wing tackling back.

Yop not ranting just making a point. I never rant on here and if I do will tell ya. Some people take this board far too serious!

If your making a point then back it up with correct statements.

Enought of the crap posts from both of us, no point in returning this boards back to the bad old days ;)

Big Nelly wrote:
    Are you refering to the quote about everyone being a Utd fan on this thread? if so get a life will you.

No, I'm referring to you continually accusing others of taking their opinions from the media.

As for the rest of your post, I'd say you've pretty much proved your own claim re. never ranting wrong right there.

I knew somebody would bring Ronaldo's transfer up, i agree Ronaldo isnt worth 12 million and based on form this season pedersen is a better player, based on pedersen wasnt up to much until the end of last year , pedersen wasnt up to much until the end of last year and this year but sparky seems to have got the best out of him now. It's worth pointing out that Ronaldo is about 4 years younger than Pedersen.
    transfer fees aren't as inflated as they used to be, blackburn would let him go for around 8-10 million and if they were selling to Chelsea it probably would be 15 million.

First off, Pedersen didn't play until the end of last season. Hughes commented that he wasn't ready for the physical part of English football and needed to do weight training. Therefore I can't see where you got your assessment that "pedersen wasnt up to much until the end of last year". He wasn't even playing.

In 25 games that he started last season, Ronaldo scored 5 goals and setup 4. In 19 games that Pedersen started, he scored 4 and setup 3. That was in a struggling team, not one that was challenging for Champions League qualification. Therefore I can't see how you can say that, "based on the form of the last couple of season, Ronaldo is definitely the better player", do you?

As for the 4 year difference. Ronaldo has been an established player in the PL longer, is surrounded by multi-million pound team-mates and moved for four times the price of Pedersen, therefore should he not be performing better, younger ot not?

Pedersen is just finding his feet in English football. This will be his first full season. His progress has been tremedous. Ronaldo on the other hand, started with a bang but looks like going out on a whimper. And, don't get me wrong, I think he has the potential to be a wonderful footballer. Asked whether I'd put him or Pedersen in a side though, I know who I'd take every time.
    Originally posted by Jammer

A few seasons ago I would of took your point about Ljunberg/Pires/Giggs. None of that trio are setting the world alight now though.

I think Duff is better, I'm not sure about Joe Cole though. He's shown years of promise but it has never really materialised. As for Robben, he, like Ronaldo, arrived with a bang but consistency looks an issue, as well as injury problems.

Also, you have to remember, look at the teams the six you named are playing in and then look at Blackburn's. Each of these six individuals is not only a tremendous player but is also surrounded by other tremendous players. At Blackburn, does Pedersen play alongside the likes of Lampard, Makele, Vieira, Keane, Scholes (back when Pires/Ljunberg/Giggs were playing well)?

No, I'm referring to you continually accusing others of taking their opinions from the media.

As for the rest of your post, I'd say you've pretty much proved your own claim re. never ranting wrong right there.

Where? why don't you just grow up. You go around trolling every thread to try and start a load of sh*t? maybe look at yourself. Everytime I see you on any thread it is in an arguement with someone else

If you are refering to other thread where people have quoted article from "The Sun" then if you call that a paper go ahead. Only other thread I remember off hand was when someone mentioned a rumour and I had already mentioned on that thread about a rumour in the Sun and I didnt believe. Is that what you are refering to or are you just bored and trying to start a load of cr*p with me? if so get a life. from what I can see your just trolling every thread to start arguements.

If you want to throw your toys out of your pram do it somewhere else because I couldnt be bothered reading the cr*p your posting. First of all what the hell has it got to do with you when the discussion was between me and Yop?

Big Nelly wrote:
    Where? why don't you just grow up. You go around trolling every thread to try and start a load of sh*t? maybe look at yourself. Everytime I see you on any thread it is in an arguement with someone else

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50586486&postcount=16
    Big Nelly wrote:
    ]You should quit reading the Sun. Reid isn't going to be sold.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50683118&postcount=53
    Big Nelly wrote:
    Oh yeah masterK I think your just reading the press cr*p about Savage

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50683762&postcount=70
    Big Nelly wrote:

Appears to be your stock reply when you have nothing else to say.

As for the rest of your post, two things:

1. Yet another example of your ranting.
    2. Like Hobart said already on this thread, if you see a problem with my posts on this thread (or any other for that matter) report them.

1. Yet another example of your ranting.
    2. Like Hobart said already on this thread, if you see a problem with my posts on this thread (or any other for that matter) report them.

1. You have too much time on your hands
    2. I don't rant
    3. Why don't you go through every post I have made while your at it. You seem petty enough
    4. I don't really care if you think Im ranting but sorry but me and mate in work are laughing our heads off at you. Keeps me amused today because first quarter is always dead. See post 3 and do that. Can't wait for reply
    5. I don't have a problem with your posts just you seen to start arguements for no reason. Your the one that had a problem with mine. Read back if you want clarification. I was talking to Yop and you had a problem with my post
    6. Take your own advice and report me. Im not too bothered to be honest
    7. See post at Today 12:38. Because that is about as serious as I am taking you. I think the stone is still in the air....ffffooooouuuurrrrr
    Appears to be your stock reply when you have nothing else to say.

We can start the number game again
    1. Give yourself a slap on the back. You found three instances of me mentioning a paper in nearly 4000 posts. Sorry but I aint going to do a full page reply to those remarks. Also pick out 3-4 posts from tehe hundreds I make here.
    2. lol
    3. lmao

Now get back on topic. Already warned ya.

Hobart wrote:
    I don't have a problem with you or anybody on this forum.
    I was making the point that nearly every post that I've seen from you on the Soccer Forum over the last week seems to invlove you arguing with someone. Just an obsevation, nothing else.

Hobart wrote:
    Well apologies then if your comment wasn't directed at me but you did quote me and then reply, so you can probably see how I came to that conclusion.

Hobart wrote:
    As I've said already, Smith's challenge was a foul for which he was rightly got booked. I had a problem with Savage's decision to act like a little girl after Rooney reacted after he put him in a headlock. It's a character trait of Savage that IMO is quite unfortunate as I rate him as a player.

B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭Xterminator

[edit]Sorry,meant to add. What annoys me more about Savage is that he's actually a pretty capable footballer, certainly good enough for the top half of the league and could conceivably stake a claim to a place in a side aiming for european qualification[/edit]

Eh .. you mean a side aiming for European qualification like Blackburn? (8th in the table, semi finals of the league cup etc)

X

Eh .. you mean a side aiming for European qualification like Blackburn? (8th in the table, semi finals of the league cup etc)

X

Well said Xterminator. You're also talking about a team which won its last silverware in 2002, which is a better record than alot of teams.

Lemlin wrote:
    First off, Pedersen didn't play until the end of last season. Hughes commented that he wasn't ready for the physical part of English football and needed to do weight training. Therefore I can't see where you got your assessment that "pedersen wasnt up to much until the end of last year". He wasn't even playing.

In 25 games that he started last season, Ronaldo scored 5 goals and setup 4. In 19 games that Pedersen started, he scored 4 and setup 3.

Pedersen started 19 games last season? Bit of a contradiction on your part here.He only played 6 games less than Ronaldo, he played exactly half the league games, or was 19 his total amount of appearances? anyway according to you he didnt play last year, and then you said he played 19 games ???
    Lemlin wrote:
    That was in a struggling team, not one that was challenging for Champions League qualification. Therefore I can't see how you can say that, "based on the form of the last couple of seasons, Ronaldo is definitely the better player", do you?
    Perhaps not this season, but if i had a choice i'd pick Ronaldo over Pedersen every time. It's far easier to be a big fish in a small pond. Teams dont put 11 men behind the ball against Blackburn, they do against United, Left back and left midfield mark Ronaldo, i've seen this happen time and time again. Teams come to Old trafford and double up on both wingers thus cutting off United's wide threat which in the past used to destroy visiting teams at Old Trafford.
    Lemlin wrote:
    As for the 4 year difference. Ronaldo has been an established player in the PL longer, is surrounded by multi-million pound team-mates and moved for four times the price of Pedersen, therefore should he not be performing better, younger ot not?

Ronaldo would not have cost 12 million if he had moved to Blackburn or Bolton or Boro. He cost 12 million purely because it was Man Utd he was moving to.
    Lemlin wrote:
    Pedersen is just finding his feet in English football. This will be his first full season. His progress has been tremedous. Ronaldo on the other hand, started with a bang but looks like going out on a whimper. And, don't get me wrong, I think he has the potential to be a wonderful footballer.
    i agree with nearly all of this, except the part about a whimper. I think Ronaldo like Pedersen can only get better but given the choice between the 2 good prospects i would pick Ronaldo, thats my opinion on Ronaldo v Pedersen

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

The Muppet wrote:
    I read somehere recently that Fergie thinks Fletcher will take two more years to reach his full potential. He played well enough this evening.
    Whatever "full potential" he finally reaches, it won't be good enough to be playing regularly for Utd. it pains me every time I see him in a Utd shirt, he's an awful player.

PORNAPSTER wrote:
    Hobart is what we call an ABU lads. Wait until he's taken off his tinted specs before getting into a pointless "merry-go-round" type arguement with him.

I enjoyed the game tonight. The first half was quite good to watch, second half not quite as good but I thought Ronaldo played well. He was passing the ball alot more and Giggs played well also. Rooney played his heart out yet again and Fletcher was surprisingly good. I'm very disappionted that United didn't win the game, but that is semi-finals for you...
    My word. You must have been watching a different match than me. Ronaldo and Giggs were appalling in my eyes, constantly giving the ball away, hands on hips, glaring at the others as if it were their fault. Each free kick and corner they took, bar one from Giggs was hitting first defenders.

Big Nelly wrote:
    1. You have too much time on your hands
    2. I don't rant
    3. Why don't you go through every post I have made while your at it. You seem petty enough
    4. I don't really care if you think Im ranting but sorry but me and mate in work are laughing our heads off at you. Keeps me amused today because first quarter is always dead. See post 3 and do that. Can't wait for reply
    5. I don't have a problem with your posts just you seen to start arguements for no reason. Your the one that had a problem with mine. Read back if you want clarification. I was talking to Yop and you had a problem with my post
    6. Take your own advice and report me. Im not too bothered to be honest
    7. See post at Today 12:38. Because that is about as serious as I am taking you. I think the stone is still in the air....ffffooooouuuurrrrr

You're ranting again.
    Big Nelly wrote:
    1. Give yourself a slap on the back. You found three instances of me mentioning a paper in nearly 4000 posts. Sorry but I aint going to do a full page reply to those remarks. Also pick out 3-4 posts from tehe hundreds I make here.

3 instances that I'm aware of. TBH, I usually ignore your posts, there's enough drivel on boards in general without me having to trawl through your thoughts on the game.

Big Nelly wrote:
    Now get back on topic. Already warned ya.

Warning eh? About as much use as tits on a boar.

• Advertisement

You're ranting again.

3 instances that I'm aware of. TBH, I usually ignore your posts, there's enough drivel on boards in general without me having to trawl through your thoughts on the game.

Warning eh? About as much use as tits on a boar.
    Any chance we could get this all done by PM, or open another thread? Last I saw this was titled about Utd/Bburn, yet I'd say about half the 5 pages are devoted to squabbling.

yet I'd say about half the 5 pages are devoted to squabbling.
    No they're not.

X

Probably should have worded the point a bit better.

While I think Blackburn have a chance of reaching the CC final, like I said last week its their best chance of european qualification. I don't believe Blackburn will finish in the top 6 in the league, and if Blackburn and Wigan both make the CC final they would need to finish top 5 to be sure of a UEFA Cup place (assuming that Rovers didn't win the final)

What I was trying to suggest was that he was good enough to be hold his own in a side consistently challenging for 5-7th places in the league (the 3 spots it is possible to qualify from depending on cup finalists). That's the likes of Bolton, Wigan (certainly this season), Man City, based on the last few seasons Boro, and with a decent manager Newcastle (I'd include Spurs as a side challenging for 5th, only I can't see Savage getting in our starting XI). I'm still of the opinion that Blackburn lack a few players to challenge for a place in Europe through the league.

No offence intended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Whatever "full potential" he finally reaches, it won't be good enough to be playing regularly for Utd. it pains me every time I see him in a Utd shirt, he's an awful player.

Do you consider yourself a better Judge of a footballer than Alex Ferguson ?

Fletcher has had some poor performances but to say he's an awful player is not fair either. I have been encouraged by some of his recent performance in the centre midfield .

I'm not sure about Joe Cole though. He's shown years of promise but it has never really materialised.

Cole:
    Appearances : 16
    Goals : 6
    Assists : 2

Fairly good.

p.s.
    If we are going to take the teams preformance in account when judging players, maybe you should look at the formation United played last year and for the start of this year, 4-3-3, which often meant ronaldo ran ahead of the team and had little to pass too, also the awful immobility of Uniteds midfield last season, so that Ronaldo often had few people to pass too.
    When Pederson preforms like Ronaldo does for Portugal, then I'll take notice, but until then, I'm glad we didnt buy him when we had the chance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement