Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

United Vs Blackburn! Will Alex never learn??

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

:rolleyes:
    Definition of wound up:

adj : brought to a state of great tension; "all wound up for a
    fight"

I see the kids are out of school

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The Muppet wrote:
    You are cetainly right that United have made some bad transfers in recent years and Fergie would have to shoulder the blame for that but without have access to the full details surrounding the reasoning for those purchases it is difficult to comment.MOst of those were not Fergies first choice.

Sorry mate, but can't agree. Fergie still bought them, he had to rate them to have taken them to the club.

Whats the difference now? Utd are out of the CL, and nowhere near the side that dominated English football through the 90s and early 21st century, so why is it that Fergie had to settle for 2nd or 3rd choice in the last 3 years yet has managed to target and aquire top talent this season?

Face it, he made serious errors of judgement.

Djemba x2.
    Forlan.
    Kleberson.
    Miller.
    Bellion.
    Failing to replace Schmichael until this season.
    O'Shea all over the pitch, and his confidence is suffering.
    Philip Neville and Nicky Butt both allowed leave when the only option to cover Roy Keane was to play Alan Smith in his place.

Ferguson's success as manager of Utd ain't just been because he's a good judge of a player's potential, so I'd discount the idea that all us armchair pundits aren't qualified to question his assessment of Darren Fletcher. There are plenty of studio pundits who agree, and plenty in the print media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Sorry mate, but can't agree. Fergie still bought them, he had to rate them to have taken them to the club.

Whats the difference now? Utd are out of the CL, and nowhere near the side that dominated English football through the 90s and early 21st century, so why is it that Fergie had to settle for 2nd or 3rd choice in the last 3 years yet has managed to target and aquire top talent this season?

Face it, he made serious errors of judgement.

Djemba x2.
    Forlan.
    Kleberson.
    Miller.
    Bellion.
    Failing to replace Schmichael until this season.
    O'Shea all over the pitch, and his confidence is suffering.
    Philip Neville and Nicky Butt both allowed leave when the only option to cover Roy Keane was to play Alan Smith in his place.

Ferguson's success as manager of Utd ain't just been because he's a good judge of a player's potential, so I'd discount the idea that all us armchair pundits aren't qualified to question his assessment of Darren Fletcher. There are plenty of studio pundits who agree, and plenty in the print media.

I don't think you are being very fair on him. Miller was a free , OK it didn't work out for him but Uniter were in a win win with Miller. Bellion was the same but United ended up pay a smalll fee for him in Tribunal so no great loss there either. Folan has poved himself elsewhere he just didn't cut it at United where competion for places means the window of oppertunity are small. That leaves Kleberson and Djemba X 2 . which even if they were bad judgemnent is still a small percentage of errors.

Scmichales first replacement was a world cup winning keeper a. Butt and Neville would never have been good enough to replace Keano. Where is Butt now? Keane and Smeichael were truly world class players replacing such players is never easy.

You seem sure that United have aquired top talent this season, I suggest if those players do not make the grade it won't be long until they feature on lists like above.

With the benefit of hindsight there is no doubt that United have made some very poor signings but what club Hasn't ?

I have my doubts about Fletcher too but he should be given the the time to develope fully . We want to avoid another Beardsley/Platt type mistake if possible. There are alos plenty of pundits that rate Fletcher . Let's just wait and seee who is right about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

The Muppet wrote:

Scmichales first replacement was a world cup winning keeper a. Butt and Neville would never have been good enough to replace Keano. Where is Butt now? Keane and Smeichael were truly world class players replacing such players is never easy.
    Australia won the world cup? ;)

Love the irony in your sig by the way, quality.

Australia won the world cup? ;)

Love the irony in your sig by the way, quality.

Doh How could I foget Bosnich ? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

like 0.66 goals a game.

Actually I didnt explain myself correctly. I was talking about his United record when he actually got a run of games, and played more than 2 games in a row. I dont actually know where I got the stats from, but if you work it out, it works out to .66 per game, when he was playing in anyway reguarly.
    Butt and Neville would never have been good enough to replace Keano. Where is Butt now?

Ask Pele who the best player in the last world cup was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

PHB wrote:

I think its widely accepted that asking pele anything is a waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

PHB wrote:
    Actually I didnt explain myself correctly. I was talking about his United record when he actually got a run of games, and played more than 2 games in a row. I dont actually know where I got the stats from, but if you work it out, it works out to .66 per game, when he was playing in anyway reguarly.

Both those points are really clutching at straws TBH. If that's the case, and you only count playing regularly, what would Ole's rate be like?

And is this the same Pele who said Diouf was one of the 50 best players in the world?

PHB wrote:

I was sorry to see Butt leave United as he was a decent squad player but I do not think he was ever good enough to be Uniteds first choice CM.

Granted he had an excellent world cup but he has hardly set the game alight since he was sold.

The Muppet wrote:
    I don't think you are being very fair on him. Miller was a free , OK it didn't work out for him but Uniter were in a win win with Miller. Bellion was the same but United ended up pay a smalll fee for him in Tribunal so no great loss there either. Folan has poved himself elsewhere he just didn't cut it at United where competion for places means the window of oppertunity are small. That leaves Kleberson and Djemba X 2 . which even if they were bad judgemnent is still a small percentage of errors.

Individually I'd agree with you, but cumulatively they're an example of Fergie being less hit than miss in the transfer market over a number of years.
    The Muppet wrote:
    Butt and Neville would never have been good enough to replace Keano. Where is Butt now?

Are you telling me that Alan Smith is a better option that either of the other two would have been? Even as stopgap solutions to Keane winding down they'd have been head and shoulders above Smith.
    The Muppet wrote:
    You seem sure that United have aquired top talent this season, I suggest if those players do not make the grade it won't be long until they feature on lists like above.

Well, I'm sure Park and VDS have done enought to suggest they'll be hits at Utd, Evra's previous with Monaco suggests the same (and I'm certain the transition from France to England will be easy enough for him, its not like nobody else has made the move). Vidic is an unknown quantity (to me) but from what I've read it sounds like he'll do all right.

• Advertisement

Are you telling me that Alan Smith is a better option that either of the other two would have been? Even as stopgap solutions to Keane winding down they'd have been head and shoulders above Smith.

No I,m not, I never mentioned Alan Smith. I do believe it was a valuable exercise to try Smith in midfield to see if he could make teh position his own.

Well, I'm sure Park and VDS have done enought to suggest they'll be hits at Utd,

I would not be so sure about Park, I like his commitment but he has a way to go to be first choice at United. VDS is a decent keeper.
    Evra's previous with Monaco suggests the same (and I'm certain the transition from France to England will be easy enough for him, its not like nobody else has made the move). Vidic is an unknown quantity (to me) but from what I've read it sounds like he'll do all right.

What about Verons previous before he joined? was that any assurance that he would be sucessful at United ? I hope you are right but previous form from different leagues can not be taken as an indication as to how players will fare in the premiership which tends to be a faster more physical game than most other leagues.

We'll have to agree to differ on Fletcher for now Ronan, one of us can have the bragging rights in a few years time when he has reached his full potential.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

PHB wrote:
    I was talking about his United record when he actually got a run of games, and played more than 2 games in a row. I dont actually know where I got the stats from, but if you work it out, it works out to .66 per game, when he was playing in anyway reguarly.
    So they are made up stats then? Just like the stat that Crouch is better than a goal a game, if you ignore the fact that it took it a few weeks to get off the mark?
    The Muppet wrote:
    Doh How could I foget Bosnich ?
    This just gets better. ROFL :rolleyes:

Hobart wrote:
    So they are made up stats then? Just like the stat that Crouch is better than a goal a game, if you ignore the fact that it took it a few weeks to get off the mark?

Talking about things being made up , you still have not corrected the quote you have attributed to me which I never made. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50691257&postcount=147 .

The term Pot Kettle Black springs to mind..

The Muppet wrote:
    Talking about things being made up , you still have not corrected the quote you have attributed to me which I never made. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50691257&postcount=147 .

The term Pot Kettle Black springs to mind.. I don't really remember who played in goal for Manu
    Ask Bosnich to do muppet, if you can remember him.

Hobart wrote:
    Ask Bosnich to do muppet, if you can remember him.

Fair enough if you insist on being childish about it I'll leave it to the mods to deal with the issue.

The Muppet wrote:
    The term Pot Kettle Black springs to mind..
    That's not a term It's a badly grouped number of words. Anyhow Tom, if you think that anybody is actually going to attribute those words to you than they are thicker than you are acting at the moment.

For the sake of harmony and good realations I will put in a clarification, if you want. Now I suggest you go back to shouting at the screen and hoping for a miracle in the second half. Let me know what you want me to do about this outrages slur, I await by my keyboard!

Hobart wrote:
    Let me know what you want me to do about this outrages slur, I await by my keyboard!

I asked you twice to remove the fictional quote you attributed to me, your childish refusal left me no option but to report the issue to the mods. It is in their hands now.

The Muppet wrote:
    No I,m not, I never mentioned Alan Smith. I do believe it was a valuable exercise to try Smith in midfield to see if he could make teh position his own.

What was it Roy said, "fail to prepare prepare to fail"? Thats Smith in CM written all over it. It was a firefighting exercise driven by the realisation that Keane wasn't going to be able to play every game (or even every important game) and his ability to impose himself on a match would inevitably wane as time went on. Fergie f*cked up plain and simple. Butt and Neville would have filled that hole more effectively, though whether Fergie has it in him to find an adequate replacement for Keane remains to be seen. I don't think Smith, Fletcher, or Josh have it.

The Muppet wrote:
    I would not be so sure about Park, I like his commitment but he has a way to go to be first choice at United. VDS is a decent keeper.

I think we'll see the best of Park in a settled confident Utd team. I think Utd are a while away from that yet. From what I have seen, I think he'll be a great signing for you.

The Muppet wrote:
    What about Verons previous before he joined? was that any assurance that he would be sucessful at United ? I hope you are right but previous form from different leagues can not be taken as an indication as to how players will fare in the premiership which tends to be a faster more physical game than most other leagues.

In hindsight, Veron's style of play was never going to gel with the English game. He performed in Italy because he had time and space to do so, the rapid-fire pace of the English game pushed him and asked serious questions. Of course, thats hindsight, but then the best judges of a players ability (the professionals) should be asking those questions before deciding he's the one to buy.
    The Muppet wrote:
    We'll have to agree to differ on Fletcher for now Ronan, one of us can have the bragging rights in a few years time when he has reached his full potential.;)

Tom, if we all agreed this would be a very boring place. :cool:

Advertisement