Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a primary school - what to ask?

Options
  • 11-01-2006 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭

Hi, baby #1 is on the way very soon and people seem to be telling me to get the child's name down on a list for a primary school once he/she is born. There is a community school close to our house which would be convenient...what sort of questions should I ask when talking to the school....I am quite lost here in what to expect.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Hi, baby #1 is on the way very soon and people seem to be telling me to get the child's name down on a list for a primary school once he/she is born. There is a community school close to our house which would be convenient...what sort of questions should I ask when talking to the school....I am quite lost here in what to expect.

Depends on what type of school you want
    Do you want
    One close to your house
    Mixed
    Single sex
    Denominational
    Multidenominational
    Private
    Gaelscoil

If you are living in an urban area you problably will have choice of all of the above and you need to think what you most want from the school you pick. Most principals are very happy to have a chat with you about their school, its ethos, rules, expectations etc (and to be honest if they're not it's not really a good sign)

If you live in a rural area you choices may be much more limited (ie only a locan denominational national school)

Talk to other parents in your area - there is a pretty active local list of "good" and "bad" schools if you ask around.

If you live in a place where there is a high demand for schools you will be limited in your choice - local denominational schools restricted to those of the parish (and in some cases only if you are a practising RC).

Most RC Nationals schools don't take names very early - check with each on their enrolement policies.

ET, Gaelscoileanna, CoI and private schools tend to take names from birth.

Spend some time thinking what type of school will suit you and your child best (8 years is a very long time to be unhappy) - best of luck

Also www.education.ie will allow you to search for schools in your area to start the ball rolling!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

great. Thanks for your advice ArthurDent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

;) No problem! If you have more specifics once you get down to searching,just yell!

And best of luck with baby:)

Advertisement