Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with finding name of anime film.

Options
  • 11-01-2006 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    When I was a kid (1980s) I saw this anime/manga film on tv and I'd love to find it, I know its a long shot but this is what I remember:

Theres a submarine thats also a spaceship
    Earth is being invaded by aliens
    Trying to terraform the planet
    Some kind of algae clogging up the sea changing the water (making it thicker)
    we're losing the fight and everything rests on this sub/ship

Any ideas?

Also here's another:

Aliens have invaded earth (again)
    They're all about twenty foot high and seem to be human
    Main character travels round on a rusty motorbike till he finds this spaceship loaded with suped-up, futuristic motorbike thats makes it easier for main character to fight aliens.

Cheers,
    Jaqian

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Edit: Actually, these aren't right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

what do you mean aren't right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Submarine_No._6
    In the near future, the Earth's oceans have risen and consumed most of the sea-lying land on earth, thanks to the scientist Zorndyke and his Army of Chiron. Now, the remaining humans wage war against Zorndyke's sea-going creations for the right to exist. Humanity's best hope for a resolution to the conflict lies with its elite blue class submarine forces, headed by Blue Submarine #6.

The wiki is usually a good place to try as even a char from an anime no matter how old name will usually get you a hit and info.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Aggggggh! Why...jaqian...why? Now I'm going to be driven mad by this. Both descriptions sound vaguely familiar, but I can't quite put my finger on them.

I know I didn't watch them, but I kinda know of them, if you get what I'm saying. However, I keep getting dragged back to Battleship Yamato (which I know is not what you're describing).

Can you give us a bit more info - anything to knock a memory loose? Even small clues - do you remember what station they were on, were these day-time or night-time shows, English dub or sub, were they popular at the time, do you have any ideas about their names(like, it started with a G or something)? Did they look like 80s cartoons, or did they seem to have an earlier vintage (i.e. are we talking Captain Harlock quality or Myterious Cities of Gold quality?) Theme music - rock or synth. Setting on-planet or mostly off planet? Are you sure they were Japanese produced? Any one character stand out, any particular episode ring a bell?

Information....INFORMATION....We want INFORMATION

p.s. Blue Submarine No. 6 from 98 doesn't seem to be the right show, IMO. But I do remember seeing a documentary a few years back by the director(I think) talkingabout being inspired by a number of 80s anime, including one with a submarine in it. Anyone else remember that?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

jaqian wrote:
    what do you mean aren't right?
    I meant what I had written down (Blue Submarine No.6) was incorrect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Unfortunately psicic thats all I can remember, I posted here in the hope that one of you might know what it is. Its wrecking my head as well. Its definitly not Blue Sub 6 though. I dont say this often but Google is no help. I don't know what channel they were on but it was either RTÉ, BBC or ITV don't think CH4 was around then.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Channel 4 did a fair oul whack of anime back in early eighties.

No bells ringing in the head for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

are you by any chance thinking of Megazone 23 or Macross?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

jaqian wrote:
    Also here's another:

Main character travels round on a rusty motorbike till he finds this spaceship loaded with suped-up, futuristic motorbike thats makes it easier for main character to fight aliens.

Cheers,
    Jaqian
    Could this be the third generation of Robotech? The aliens in Robotech were giants who looked human... And I think third generation series had a futuristic bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

jaqian wrote:
    Hi,

Cheers,
    Jaqian

That's the 3rd part of Robotech (The New Generation), also known as Genesis Climber Mospeada.
    AD Vision released Mospeada on DVD in the US. Worth getting as it's a decent series.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

It sounds like something you seen on the bluelight zone that used to be on Ch4 like years ago when i was a wee lil nipper *thinks back for a bit*...good times ^_^

Only anime films i remember from then was Doomed Megalopolis, Legend of the four kings and Devilman. Sure it was aliens and not evil demons or something?

Advertisement