Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting to my home PC from work

• 11-01-2006 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi,

I want to "vnc"/"windows remote desktop" from my work PC to my home PC over bt bb. I have a dynamic IP address at home.

I have a linksys 54g router

Any ideas on how I can achieve this (Im new to this)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

http://www.PortForward.com - to allow access to/from the ports.
    You may also want to sign up for a dyndns.org account, if you don't have a static IP address..

A more secure (& easier?) option may be: http://www.hamachi.cc/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I use vnc to to exactly the same thing. I have a dyndns account that my router automatically updates and have forwarded the port in the router config to the pc's ip. works a charm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

be careful doing stuff like this from work , ive seen people get fired before. might best best to ask your IT guys first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

another vote here for hamachi. if you can get 2 pc's talking to each other on a conventional LAN, you can get hamachi working over the net no problem. quick, secure, and does everything you want it to.

only problem is, if your work blocks all traffic by default and only allows exceptions like port 80 through a proxy, you might still have trouble, but it's worth a go.

failing that, you might want to look into getting terminal services web (tsweb) set up on your home machine, but it's a bitch to get working (imho) properly over the net (you need iis installed and set up just right, etc. etc.) but if you can get it to work, it's your best bet cos it quite literally can't be stopped from your work, since it uses an internet explorer window.

between that and dyndns you'll be set. if you can get it t work that is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

This is brillaint I use it all the time to access my pc from any other location. a window pops up which is the desktop on your home pc, it synchronises the clipboard, even prints and its free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

Logmein is excellent! I have about 7 PC's setup on this now and its totally free! No need to worry about opening or forwarding ports with this. Give it a shot now! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Tech Pete

I too use Logmein...
    Excellent service. I also purchased the package as i tend to "fix" my mothers PC a lot and this way was just too easy to pass up!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sl05

Thanks all, will give some of these a go over the next few days (time is tight at the mo)

Tech Pete wrote:
    I also purchased the package as i tend to "fix" my mothers PC a lot and this way was just too easy to pass up!

Yeah what is it with mothers and PC's. The amount of times a popup window pops up and I have to login to check it out for her! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Hamachi is the dog's own bollox! Lovely little piece of software.

The other handy thing with logmein is once you have added a PC to your account you can access it from any PC that has access to the internet without having to do any setup/installation on that PC!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

ultraVNC + DSM encryption (essential)

A DDNS would help too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Just got logmein. Set it up at work. Home for lunch now and looking at the work PC now. Amazingly simple. Frighteningly simple even :)

Valentia wrote:
    Just got logmein. Set it up at work. Home for lunch now and looking at the work PC now. Amazingly simple. Frighteningly simple even :)

Pop around to your mates house and login to your logmein account and can connect to your house PC without needing to install anything! :D

got logmein setup myself now, and although it's not giving me the same functionality of hamachi, it is working a lot better from work, so i'm likely to stick with it rather than hamachi, but if i hadn't had those connectivity problems with hamachi, it would have bene the preferable choice because it allows me to do more, and in a way thats more like a traditional LAN environment too (if that makes any sense).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

LogMeIn is a great tool! Works great! ;) Thanks for the tip!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sl05

Using logmein and will stick with this, thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

If using Logmein to connect to a PC with dynamic IP, do I still need to use Dynadns and if so How is that set up?

Thanks in advance for help.

don't need dyndns with logmein. it installs a little client on your PC which links to your logmein user page.

you just log into the logmein website, choose the PC you want to connect to, and it hands you over to an admin page hosted on your PC where you can change the settings for that PC, transfer files (if you have pro) and connect remotely.

it really couldn't be simpler, and i can't wait for the DSL upgrades to improve the speed a bit, but it's still more than useable as is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭delanest

I wish to have this service too, but am concerned over one thing.

Do the administrators of the logmein website have full access to the information that is stored on my network. Would this be suitable for a small home business ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

I used logmein. Its great, but after a while the trial expires -

And you find out just when you need to use it :)

Has anyone here got it free for good?

Never mind i found the link -doh

There's 2 versions, Pro and Free.

Free is more than good enough for most users. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭ando

I dunno how secure logmein is. I stopped using the software about a year ago when I found someone was remotly connected to a server that I had installed it onto :eek:

It uses SSL from moment one. If you type in the web address as www.logmein.com it will automagicaly redirect you to an https site using SSL. From there, once you have connected depending on the handshake and connection from the client PC to the remote PC the encryption rate will either be 128bit or 256bit. By far, more than enough security for even the biggest security buffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭randomname

I have to say logmein is really handy, cheers for the links. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭delanest

UberNewb - thanks.

I have read the document and in short it looks good.

First off and most importantly to me, this product is developed by 3am Labs, a well known company, which is good.

Secondly the document goes through their security solution based on SSL/TLS, which to me looks quite adequate.

Advertisement