Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyperdrive - the new Red Dwarf?

• 11-01-2006 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

SCIENCE FICTION SERIES: Hyperdrive
    Channel: BBC 2 Northern Ireland (Digital) 106
    Date: Wednesday 11th January 2006
    Time: 23:20 to 23:50

Duration: 30 minutes.
    A Gift From The Glish. Series 1, episode 1.
    Sci-fi comedy, set in 2151 that follows spaceship HMS Camden Lock as it goes about protecting British interests in a changing galaxy. Commander Henderson and the crew try persuading alien cultures to move their businesses to the Peterborough enterprise zone while there is a lethal, man-eating parasite loose on the ship.
    Starring: Nick Frost, Kevin Eldon, Miranda Hart, Stephen Evans, Dan Antopolski
    (Widescreen, Subtitles)

The beeb having had a hit with Dr Who are dipping thier toes back in the waters last muddied by Red Dwarf. I liked RD for about 2 series (3 and 4) hopefully Hyperdrive will work as well as that show did at its best.

Mike.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Yeah, saw the ad and instantly thought "Red Dwarf". Will be interesting to watch it, I like Nick Frost from his Spaced days so that drew my attention, but then again Supernova with Rob Brydon seemed a bit cack and the ad reminded me of that (after RD).
    The writers have a decent enough past though, The Armando Iannucci Show, TV to Go, Black Books, Big Train and Saturday Night Armistice.
    Will give it a look anyway.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Oh, I might check it out, if I remember! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

Red Dwarf Was a classic and i loved it so il probably watch this to see if its as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

tonight? damn. I'll probably miss it.

Sounds like it could be good enough.. always thought that if there's one thing the beeb can do right, it's comedy. Not that they always do get it right though.

(it is a comedy right?, not just plain sci-fi?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its a sci-com! And its repeated over the weekend I think.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Enjoyed it I have to say. Not brilliant but will probably get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Twas ok, not much else. The 'rifle license agreement' bit was pretty funny alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I thought it was pretty good. The first episode is never easy, so I expect it to get better.

Nick Frost is great... but I was a little disappointed by Kevin Eldon, he's usually brilliant.. but he came across a bit hammy in this.

Ha.. it was great to see Johnson out of Peep Show in it too.

The special effects weren't half bad either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

How closely does it resemble Red Dwarf? I love RD, Season's 2-5 were its peak IMO. I'll check out Hyperdrive later on today.

I taped the wrong fupping channel! :mad:

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭gorm

mike65 wrote:
    Its a sci-com! And its repeated over the weekend I think.

Mike.

Its at 10:00pm Sunday on BBC2

byte

Thanks gorm. I missed it after all, will have to wait until Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

Its was alright but not a show id go crazy about. Nick frost is good but the other actors on the crew were disappointing. Hopefully it will get better.il judge it on the next 2 episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I caught the repeat this evening. It didn't really do it for me. The cast were pretty good, but the jokes just weren't there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

I really had my expectations built up for this. In particular with the presence of "The actor" Kevin Eldon. I didn't laugh once I am sorry to say. I am not giving up on it though. So many comedies started off badly. Here's hoping it picks up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I quite enjoyed it, especially the zulu / blitz line .. .that was brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

The scene where the captain's gun starts speaking it's terms and conditions was funny; the rest was sadly not. Oh look, aliens are hilariously rubbing their genitals against someone as part of their "culture"; hoho. :rolleyes:

It's obvious someone somewhere thought that getting great comic actors & great sfx would create instant comedy gems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I thought the fact that the alien language was just English with a strange voice and subtitles was funny.

byte

After catching some of it last night, I can't say it impressed me much. But, as said elsewhere, maybe it'll improve over time. Sure hope so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

The signs from the BBC aren't great - it's on Wednesday at an even later time - sometime after midnight at that. Talk about your graveyard slots; I suspect this show may not last; get some good writers in and it'll be sorted though, assuming BBC see enough reason to run a second series
    (after all, look at Blackadder for how a show can go from zero-to-hero between 1st and 2nd series)

Were he not tied up writing for Dr. Who, Coupling's Stephen Moffat would be a good choice for a sci-fi comedy writer...

• Advertisement

The fact its on so late means its a cult! ;)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I enjoyed it. I think of alot of worse first episodes on some classic comedies in the past. There were some good gags, though nothing great. The show still shows promise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Second episode was a lot better than the first. Definitely has potential I think.

Advertisement