Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jewellery valuation

Options
  • 11-01-2006 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Just a qucik question...

Me and fiance got engaged in Spain last October.
    I bought her a white gold four claw set solitaire ring with a diamond weight 16ct.
    The ring was also bought in Spain, at the same time. It was bought in a serious jewellery shop. They also provided us with a certificate, telling all the specs about the ring.

When we returned, we went for a valuation here in Dublin. We went to Mc Dowells in Dublin (O Connel Street), and they undervalued the ring comparing to what I paid for it.

They also said to us in Spain that the ring would be more expensive in Ireland, and in Mc Dowells they told us the opposite.

How come that a ring bought in Spain, is not worth the same amount what we paid for it in Spain.

Are jewellry more expensive in Spain than in Ireland, or
    have I been cheated buy the Spanish jewellery shop (We bought it from a Swedish lady, working in the Shop)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

moved to consumer issues :).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Get a second opinion. Try Remaine (not sure of the spelling) in Dun Loaghaire shopping centre.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭whippet

are the valuations you are getting for insurance reasons or are they what the shop would pay you for it?

If it is the latter the price quoted would be all they are willing to pay for it, if it is the former they would have no reason not to give their honest valuation.

Remember the mark up on jewelary is massive can be up to 400%, so unless you did a great job haggling in spain a stone costing you €4K could be bought by a dealer in ireland for about €1K and resold for €2K still making a 100% margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ferale

hi, and thanks for input...

Originally it was a valuation for insurance. Will goto other places to just see what they value it at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

If it's an insurance valuation then they probably valued it at it's current resale (2nd hand) value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ferale wrote:
    They also said to us in Spain that the ring would be more expensive in Ireland, and in Mc Dowells they told us the opposite.
    Never trust a salesman.
    Was the price on display in spain or did you have to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ferale

rubadub wrote:
    Never trust a salesman.
    Was the price on display in spain or did you have to ask?

Well the price was on display, and it just the different they valuate things whjen it is the same items.

Do they dont have a standard to follow when they valuate.-... ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ciarj

Like MrPudding said, won't do any harm to get a 2nd opinion. I went to Carol Clarkes Jewellers for my jewellery valuation. I found Carol to be great. She was able to point out some problems with my ring to me and seems to be very highly qualified. Charged a set cost rather than a percentage which I think is much better. Ring was valued while I waited, which was great too. I'd highly recommend her to anyone wanting to have something valued. Best of luck with it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

2 1/2 years later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

ferale wrote: »
    Just a qucik question...

Me and fiance got engaged in Spain last October.
    I bought her a white gold four claw set solitaire ring with a diamond weight 16ct.
    The ring was also bought in Spain, at the same time. It was bought in a serious jewellery shop. They also provided us with a certificate, telling all the specs about the ring.

When we returned, we went for a valuation here in Dublin. We went to Mc Dowells in Dublin (O Connel Street), and they undervalued the ring comparing to what I paid for it.

How come that a ring bought in Spain, is not worth the same amount what we paid for it in Spain.

Are jewellry more expensive in Spain than in Ireland, or
    have I been cheated buy the Spanish jewellery shop (We bought it from a Swedish lady, working in the Shop)

More like 1.6 carat not 16 carat... that would be freakishly big.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TommyOD

Three years ago I went to ESL in Pwerscourt to have my ring valued. This time I went to C.Clarke,Royal Hibernian Way.

There was no comparison between the two valuations. Clarke was more expensive but there was a ton more detail on the cert. Also she tested and explained many things to me while I was there which was never done in ESL. I would recommend Clarke even though it cost a bit more it was well worth it .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

TommyOD Please look at the date of a thread before replying.

Closing this thread due to its age.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement