Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please Help on choosing a broadband Provider.

• 11-01-2006 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Hi guys I’m looking to get broadband into my home, but am unsure which provider to go with,
    As far as I know eircom looks to be the best> or am I wrong.
    I also phoned NTL and they’ll be upgrading my area in march they said a 2MG Connection is the one to go with, for about €35 per M.
    I JUST DON’T KNOW, >who should I go with..??
    Please help
    Thinks..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

I have had eircom broadband for a year now while €39.99 a month may sound pricey I have never had a single problem and the download speeds are decent enough. I am not a teccie so dont ask for details but anything that works consistently for a year is good value in my books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

muletide wrote:
    I have had eircom broadband for a year now while €39.99 a month may sound pricey I have never had a single problem and the download speeds are decent enough. I am not a teccie so dont ask for details but anything that works consistently for a year is good value in my books.

its 29.99 now. phone them and shout at them until they drop your 39.99. as far as i'm concerned the providers go in this order:

1. ntl
    2. bt <-good prices with line rental package and i've no problems
    3. haven't heard compaints about digiweb so they come third
    4. eircom i suppose for reliability rather than price

15728. having a hamster run back and forth from the exchange with your data on a piece or paper
    15729. smoke signals
    15730. irish broadband

i realise i've left some out. feel free to correct me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 niall06/2005

I’ve see that Ntl are now offering a 2 Megabit connection for €29.99 per month
    And eircom are now offering the same price €29.99 as Ntl, but at a connection speed of 1MB.

But Ntl won’t be in my area until March. Does anyone know if the 1 Mb speed is any good????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭nicelives

But Ntl won’t be in my area until March.

Just keeping track of what ntl are promissing for another thread, what area are you in. I tried to find Seven Thousand Light Years from the Alpha, Quadrant but I'm not sure which point you were measuring it from?

its 29.99 now. phone them and shout at them until they drop your 39.99. as far as i'm concerned the providers go in this order:

1. ntl
    /QUOTE]
    Are you sure it is 29.99 if it is I will be on the phone rapid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

It's a promo for new users. They will not give it to existing users, even if you threaten to leave them.

Commander Vimes, your list is so good it should be a sticky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I would say

1. NTL (if you can wait)
    2. Smart/Magnet (if available)
    3. BT
    4. Others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

IF you have an actual choice THEN

you are lucky.

IF you have/want NTL Digital TV or Phone THEN NTL Broadband

ELSEIF (you pass aDSL phone Line ) AND (you really want to pay 27 EUR pm Eircom line rental for Phone) THEN BT or SMART or UTV

ELSEIF (You can get Digiweb Metro Wireless) THEN Order Metro, when phone works too, transfer number and Cancel EIRCOM phone line.

ELSEIF (other possibilities I know nothing about )

ELSEIF (none of the above but you can get IBB) THEN BB

ELSEIF (lots of money and not a gamer) THEN Two Way Satellite BB

ELSE campain for true flat rate access and try and get ISDN.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

watty wrote:
    IF you have an actual choice THEN

you are lucky.
    [php]
    IF you have/want NTL Digital TV or Phone
    THEN "NTL Broadband"

ELSEIF (you pass aDSL phone Line )
    AND (you really want to pay 27 EUR pm Eircom line rental for Phone)
    THEN "BT or SMART or UTV"

ELSEIF (You can get Digiweb Metro Wireless)
    THEN Order "Metro",
    when phone works too,
    transfer number AND "Cancel EIRCOM" phone line.

ELSEIF (none of the above but you can get IBB)
    THEN "IBB"

ELSEIF (lots of money and not a gamer)
    THEN "Two Way Satellite BB"

ELSE campain for "true" flat rate access and try and get "ISDN".[/php]Just add that IBB only if you can find someone in your area who has a reliable connection - look for the diamond shapped aerial.

ROFL .. will it run on boards.ie's CGI folder?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dizzybunny

so whats the deal with irish broadband and their wireless 18.99/mth deal?

dizzybunny wrote:

didn't you see my list? i wasn't joking. someone at irish broadband customer care said to me that the broadband in a box thing was crap. i said i was interested in the other one at the time so she didn't mind bad mouthing it.

@muletide: its definitely €29.99. if you're still in a contract there's probably not much you can do but if you've had it more than a year there's no reason they shouldn't switch you. the operative word being should. it is €ircon we're talking about. if you're out of contract and they won't switch you, go to bt for your broadband. €15 for the first 3 months, after which its 1c more than eircom (€30) and you get your line rental for €10, rather than eircom's €24.18

didn't you see my list? i wasn't joking. someone at irish broadband customer care said to me that the broadband in a box thing was crap. i said i was interested in the other one at the time so she didn't mind bad mouthing it.

@muletide: its definitely €29.99. if you're still in a contract there's probably not much you can do but if you've had it more than a year there's no reason they shouldn't switch you. the operative word being should. it is €ircon we're talking about. if you're out of contract and they won't switch you, go to bt for your broadband. €15 for the first 3 months, after which its 1c more than eircom (€30) and you get your line rental for €10, rather than eircom's €24.18

Rang them today and I was told that €29.99 was just an introductory offer for new customers , AND ONLY FOR THE FIRST THREE MONTHS, after which it reverts back to €39.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Hi guys I’m looking to get broadband into my home, but am unsure which provider to go with,
    As far as I know eircom looks to be the best> or am I wrong.
    I also phoned NTL and they’ll be upgrading my area in march they said a 2MG Connection is the one to go with, for about €35 per M.
    I JUST DON’T KNOW, >who should I go with..??
    Please help
    Thinks..

Can you get Smart in your area? I've been with them in two houses now, well impressed with the connection quality and the technical support. 2MB for 35.month including line rental, have had a temporary upgrade to 6MB for the last month but that runs out Saturday :(, no word yet on long term plans for speed increase.

dizzybunny wrote:

I was told by an IBB salesman that it was a rubbish cheap thing for poor students.

They do have other products. They seem to be now offering a Metro style service also. But they have infrastructure problems too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭dubmick

from the Eircom site

* Prices exclude line rental. The eircom broadband home starter / home plus promotions includes standard and self install connections. This promotion also includes a Wi-Fi modem. This offer will apply to all orders placed by the 9th January 2006. The monthly rental of €29.99 (inc. VAT) for home starter and €42.35 (inc. VAT) for home plus will apply until 31st of March, 2006. The promotional price applies to first time broadband connections only. After the 31st March 2006, the monthly rental of €39.99 (inc. VAT) will apply for home starter and €54.45 (inc. VAT) for home plus. Once-off connection fee of €9.99 (inc. VAT) applies to self-install orders only.

Anyone know if there are any new offers on the way from Eircom or BT?
    I am moving into a new house next week and these two are really my only choices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

muletide wrote:

1. ntl
    /QUOTE]
    Are you sure it is 29.99 if it is I will be on the phone rapid
    lol at no mention of prob the best one along with NTL
    Smart, although maybe not in his area yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

Of course smart and ntl are better if you can get them, but why isnt digiweb DSl not mentioned? its one of the cheapest with a large cap and you can get it in most exchanges. Thats what i think ill get as i need to keep my number and i only want a 6month contract. Anyone have any experiences with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

was gonna start a thread. this on will suffice.
    been with eircom for over a year now. never had any problems with downloads of quality of service except for one small thing. downloads from reputable sites (sky.com for example) come in at around 100-110kb/s. my friend across the road has the exact same dealy as me and downloads files at 200kb/s. i'm assuming this may have something to do with my crappy 900mhz processor (what can i say, i'm too poor to afford a better pc). anyway, the service with eircom is fine as far as i'm concerned.
    as for other providers, i was looking into the IBB deal and it's not available where i am. i'm actually thankful that i read some of the threads here before it is available as it seems quite sh1tty.

i've got my eircom bill here in front of me now. the recurring charges are as follows:
    broadband home starter: €66.10 for 2 months
    line rental: €39.96 for 2 months.

that works out at €122.33 after v.a.t. (my call charges are negligable. €6.66 total over 2 months)

what's the deal with NTL? i'm assuming they provide broadband to Leixlip because they also have the cable tv franchise here. i may be wrong though. i keep meaning to ring them, but only remember when their offices are closed.

dubmick wrote:
    from the Eircom site

* Prices exclude line rental. The eircom broadband home starter / home plus promotions includes standard and self install connections. This promotion also includes a Wi-Fi modem. This offer will apply to all orders placed by the 9th January 2006. The monthly rental of €29.99 (inc. VAT) for home starter and €42.35 (inc. VAT) for home plus will apply until 31st of March, 2006. The promotional price applies to first time broadband connections only. After the 31st March 2006, the monthly rental of €39.99 (inc. VAT) will apply for home starter and €54.45 (inc. VAT) for home plus. Once-off connection fee of €9.99 (inc. VAT) applies to self-install orders only.

Anyone know if there are any new offers on the way from Eircom or BT?
    I am moving into a new house next week and these two are really my only choices.

officially the offer is ending in march, but then again meteor's free text offer ended on november 6th, then december 31st, now its april 6th. the chances of them are increasing it again are almost nil

Anarchist wrote:
    lol at no mention of prob the best one along with NTL
    Smart, although maybe not in his area yet

i left out smart because i can't get it and no one i know can get it.
    irishguy wrote:
    Of course smart and ntl are better if you can get them, but why isnt digiweb DSl not mentioned?
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Stay well away from Esat !!

the artist formerly known as esat (bt) has done me fine for years. but then i rarely have to phone customer care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

the artist formerly known as esat (bt) has done me fine for years. but then i rarely have to phone customer care

your one of the lucky ones, if it's not my connection not going it's myself been landed with bills for large made up amounts of money, or going for a year were i don't get a bill nor can i view it online. then there's the "put on hold for an hour" customer service or "we're very busy, leave your name and number and we'll ring you back", they never do :mad:.
    just check out the IOL board and look at all the complaints.

that is true they never ring back so i always just wait. i dont remember my connection ever going down though. my parents deal with the bills so i wouldn't know if its done properly. i have heard of what happened to you a lot though

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

hellboy99 wrote:
    your one of the lucky ones, if it's not my connection not going it's myself been landed with bills for large made up amounts of money, or going for a year were i don't get a bill nor can i view it online. then there's the "put on hold for an hour" customer service or "we're very busy, leave your name and number and we'll ring you back", they never do :mad:.
    just check out the IOL board and look at all the complaints.

Where are the iol boards located?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

i'm moving house in the next few weeks and am presently using Smart in the Inchicore area which are pretty ok, nothin spectacular tho. no probs apart from the odd prob with speeds but i was wondering if the NTL package is worth switching to? i've heard different things about them
    anyo9ne got any experiences? or am i better staying with the devil i know?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Zena

We are with Digiweb at the moment and we find them excellent.

If you value your sanity keep away from Irish Broadband!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 child of bodom

I no its slightly off topic but i got ntl this month and was wonderin if any1 with them knows how serious they are about their caps n how much they charge if ya go over.

Advertisement