Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

question about staunton appointment

• 11-01-2006 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭

What I am just wondering is neither Bobby Robson, Steve Staunton, or the FAI have confirmed Staunton has been appointed. I amnt saying he hasnt. But just just wondering, could be wrong, if so grand but no need to slate me:)

But AFAIK all that has been confirmed is they have held talks? The FAI have never said they are/arent talking to anyone else.

If I am wrong I will hold my hands up, just wondered.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Deserving of a new thread?? Its a done deal, being announced next Monday afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Its a done deal .

Says who though thats the question

Just about everyone in any sort of position of knowledge. Don't worry yourself about it.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Just about everyone in any sort of position of knowledge. Don't worry yourself about it.

How dare u be so condesending!!! I only asked a simple question, last time i checked news reporters dont appoint football managers, I amnt denying he will be new manager.

Well I watched The Hub on Setanta last night and Cathal Dervan, Mick Martin, Eamon Dunphy and some other bloke were all taking it pretty much as gospel. Its going to happen, who cares where the news came from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Its a done deal. Betting suspened on Staunton, to be annouced next Mon, sorting out backroom staff at present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    and some other bloke .
    Daire O'Brian (I think). And, yea, it's a done deal. I work for a couple of newspapers, and the inside line from the FAI, is that it is done. Official announcement next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

interesting Hobart - why has no journalist come forward with any confirmation ? I've been asking this question in another thread.

Are our sports journalists so ****e that they can only repeat agency reports ?

shabbyroad wrote:
    interesting Hobart - why has no journalist come forward with any confirmation ? I've been asking this question in another thread.

Are our sports journalists so ****e that they can only repeat agency reports ?

How can they confirm what hasn't been confirmed? Everyone knows whats happening, and the FAI are announcing it next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭robz150

In our little town called Ireland its who you know not what you know;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Its a done deal. Betting suspened on Staunton, to be annouced next Mon, sorting out backroom staff at present.

Bookies made a fortune on their little 'insider information' news they dripped out .. loads of people backed O'Neill, then that huge rush of money for Venables

eirebhoy wrote:

From that site ....

Mr Staunton said "He’s not appointed yet, but that’s the way it seems to be going.".

Also heard tonight the FAI flew to birmingham to discuss terms, so obviously it hadnt been agreed, as an aside, wondered why did they go to him, could he not visit merrion square?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I just seen an ad on Setanta saying they'll show the Press Conference live on Monday.

This was published just now on RTE website

The final obstacle towards Steve Staunton becoming the new Republic of Ireland manager has today been cleared.

Football Association of Ireland chief executive John Delaney met with Walsall officials at the Bescot Stadium to secure Staunton's release from his playing contract with the Coca-Cola League One side.

The FAI are understood to have paid Walsall a compensation figure of around £60,000 for Staunton, leaving the 36-year-old now free to take up the Republic reins on a four-year deal.

Walsall chief executive Roy Whalley conceded their were no hitches in the negotiations with Delaney.

He said: "I met John at the Bescot Stadium this morning and we had a very amicable discussion. We are pleased with the way the FAI conducted their business.

"We have reached an agreement with the FAI, a settlement that was satisfactory to both sides, that will enable them to pursue their interest in Steve.

"As far as we are concerned we have now cleared the way for them to appoint Steve. The door is open and we wish Steve every success for his first venture in management, and the same message of goodwill goes to the FAI."

Whalley is hoping the short time Staunton was with Walsall, after joining them at the start of the season, will stand him in good stead for the future.

"We are due to meet with Steve soon because he will need to cancel his playing registration with ourselves, he added.

"I'm sure he will also say a few goodbyes. He has been with us since the start of the season, although injury has meant he hasn't played as much as he would have liked. But when he has played, it was very easy to see he has played at the top level.

"He has also been involved on the coaching side, so hopefully his time with alsall has been very useful in introducing him to that side of the business and it will help him in the future."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

eirebhoy wrote:
    I just seen an ad on Setanta saying they'll show the Press Conference live on Monday.
    Newstalk 106 seem to be suggesting confirmation from the FAI tomorrow.

If the FAI are confident with Staunton, they'd confirm / press release tomorrow.... this shows they are prepared for the heavy weekend media to nitpick.

A Monday press conference / press release is a well known way to lessen impact of media and "hope" the critical analysis will have died down by the weekend.

One way at looking at it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

Culchie wrote:
    Bookies made a fortune on their little 'insider information' news they dripped out .. loads of people backed O'Neill, then that huge rush of money for Venables

I only backed Stan:D :D . Though my credit card is maxed out and my betting accounts are in the red until official confirmation. The sooner Stan is appointeed the better.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

the end is nigh

Advertisement