Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being gay abroad

Options
  • 11-01-2006 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

I'm thinking about spending a year working in either Japan or South Korea.

Has anyone been to either of these places? Are they homophobic? Are there gay bars?

I've been to Nepal and a few other places that are totally homophobic. Well, Im not sure if you'd call it that, but there's no talk of a 'scene' or anything.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 aquigley

stupefly wrote:
    I'm thinking about spending a year working in either Japan or South Korea.

Has anyone been to either of these places? Are they homophobic? Are there gay bars?

I've been to Nepal and a few other places that are totally homophobic. Well, Im not sure if you'd call it that, but there's no talk of a 'scene' or anything.

I spent two years in Japan and had a great time (http://www.cs.usyd.edu.au/~aquigley/japan_gallery/index.html)
    The scene is very werid in Japan in my opinion. I lived in the middle of nowhere so there were no gays bars. When I did find gay bars they had a very different culture so nothing that you could compare with here.
    (ie. you asked the bar tender to get a guy you liked a drink... not that I did that as there was no one decent around at the time ;-)

Is Japan homophobic..? I'd say more ignorant to the concept to the point of not caring (the new half, whatever that means?). I never had any reactions (either way) my partner was asked by middle aged women if he would like them to go to gay bars with him? Too funny.... :D

Has anyone been to either of these places?
    Yes, PM me if you have specific questions as this is a topic I could rant on for hours on!

Are they homophobic?
    No not really... it's not high on the radar so people don't talk about it much.
    (note this is based on my 95-97 life there and subsequent visits, others
    who have been more recently might differ)

Are there gay bars?
    O yes... maybe they have more western one now but I don't know..
    Regardless they are mostly in very big places and unless your Japanese is crash hot you will have to work at picking up.. Unless you are good looking in which case body language should do your talking (sorry that's a little crass I know).

Korea.. visited once.. didn't like it at all and could never ever live there...
    (again just my opinion)

Aaron.

ps. year in Japan or Korea, JET or KORETTA/EPIK or other may I ask?

Advertisement