Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Registry Error's

• 11-01-2006 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

I'm using windows XP and i'm fairly new to all this.

I get a error about registry error problem detected. Im just wondering how do you clear your REGISTRY ON WINDOWS XP:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

What is the error? Take a screenshot please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Roy16

ITs nothing to serious i dont think as it only happens sometimes when i turn the computer on.

I was just wondering really how to clear your registry on windows xp....there must a command or folder where you go and delete to clear it up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Unless you know what you're doing, and I suspect you don't, never EVER touch the Registry without guidance. And even then with some trepidation.

Whats the error? We might be able to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You don't clear the registry. The registry contains settings and other information about programs, users and the operating system. A lot of it is critical information. If you don't know what you're doing, don't go into the registry with a view to making any changes :)

The next time the error comes up, note down all the text word-for-word, or take a screenshot (hit Print Screen on the keyboard and paste into Paint).

There are a few programs you can download that will "Clean" your registry for you, but I can't vouch for any guarantee that they won't kill your machine.

Start -> Run -> MSCONFIG -6 -> OK
    Deselect items.

Install and Update anti-virus and anti-spyware software and scan in Safe Mode (Tapping F8 on boot- then,select Safe Mode)

If you really want to delete registry keys...say the word...far be it from us to tell you ..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The first thing you need to know about the registry is that reinstalling windows may NOT solve many problems caused by deleting/changing random entries. Windows may well inherit the junk booting up to a BSOD and requiring installing a fresh version in another folder or a reformat.

OP: The reason that a screenshot has been requested is that it may well be a common spyware popup stating that there is an error... So.. a screenshot would help us help you ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭lkman

Might be just a file was deleted and still listed in msconfig ->startup..

Karoma what does the -6 value do in msconfig?

-6 = Small shortcut; meaning to jump to the 6th tab which is the Startup items tab.. (-5 = Services, and so on..)

[It's quicker to type,and helps avoid explanation usually, and helps avoid people disabling services :o]

Advertisement