Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any truth in this..?

Options
  • 12-01-2006 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

my mate told me that 40% of 1st years drop out after the 1st semester - i was like wow thats pretty high

is there any truth in it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Pod 78

More like 14% according to studies I have read- usually they don't drop out of 3rd level altogether.

Wrong course and re-register on another course or back to CAO. Sunday Times do a pretty comprehensive gathering of stats every year for all the Irish Universities. Would be a good place to look for the dropouts. It's in their University of the Year supplement.

p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

it probs depends on the course, im sure that big courses like arts and notoriously tough ones like you know theoretical physics with a year in outer mongolia would have a higher dropout etar than something like ag science which is prob close knit and more fun and stuff

it probs depends on the course, im sure that big courses like arts and notoriously tough ones like you know theoretical physics with a year in outer mongolia would have a higher dropout etar than something like ag science which is prob close knit and more fun and stuff

Well 1st year TP is basically they same as 1st year general Science (if you pick certain modules), so there's no real reason for a high drop-out rate in the 1st semester for TP.

Although, in saying that, I'm pretty sure that at least 2 or possibly 3 of the 6 of us have dropped out!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Although, in saying that, I'm pretty sure that at least 2 or possibly 3 of the 6 of us have dropped out!:eek:
    so thats like a 33.33% or possible 50% dropout rate for TP woah!!

Yeah it's quite a bizarre percentage alright. 2 of those 6 I never even seen attend a lecture/tutorial!

• Advertisement

Wait til ya get to mongolia... thatll seperate the theoretical physicists from the mere... genii!! How ironic... if everybody left tp, it really would be acourse for *theoretical* physicists oh haw haw im so witty and fantastic. Did someone say earlier the rose of tralee did t.p.? is she hot yeah?

LH have to say i lol'd at that one....

Wait til ya get to mongolia... thatll seperate the theoretical physicists from the mere... genii!! How ironic... if everybody left tp, it really would be acourse for *theoretical* physicists oh haw haw im so witty and fantastic. Did someone say earlier the rose of tralee did t.p.? is she hot yeah?

Could you please dumb that joke down for me? ;)

I've never seen the Rose of Tralee before actually. :( But she couldn't possibly resist the afro.

I've never seen the Rose of Tralee before actually.

wow ur really missing out...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=293220&page=3&highlight=rose+of

o and heres this yrs winner the UCD TP grad aoibhinn.jpg

What a bizarre link.

Do you think she was slapped as a child LH? ;)

• Advertisement

Wow, intelligent and beautiful and elusive... I think foxy su girl might finally have someone to wrestle with. oops did i say wrestle i meant chat.

I wouldnt mind getting some corporal punishment from her

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Something like only 1 in 3 Arts students will get a degree out of it. I can believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I've been told the same about science, at about 300 points anyone can get in but a lot of the courses aren't that easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

A big chunk of that Arts statistic would be people failing aswell as dropping out though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

Comp. Science is meant to have a big drop out rate, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

ye comp sci has a huge drop out rate, just waiting to see how many more are gone when I go back tomorrow. Points are lowish and the course is hard compared to points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

out of the 14 people who started T.P in 1st year, I think there's 7, maybe 6 of us left in 2nd year. 50% drop rate! Go us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

zap wrote:
    ye comp sci has a huge drop out rate, just waiting to see how many more are gone when I go back tomorrow. Points are lowish and the course is hard compared to points.

Doesn't seem to be (m)any missing...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

think there are a few faces gone but they maybe just didnt bother coming in or were arts students who decided to do sommet else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Yeah, there were a fair few people who didn't seem to give a crap in the first place. Mostly science students, I'll wager :v:
    Incidentally, I saw you there today but I was lazy and didn't wanna walk across the theater :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭PhantomBeaker

Jeez, I remember when I was in 1st year with Aoibheann. I was one of the percentage of dropouts. Not after first semester though - I still went into college, but just didn't give a flying monkey's.

I was in gen science - but doing the same course as the TPs. I'm since back and doing compsci.

Actually, I do see it every year - you get a slew of fresh-faced young first years, and about half the interesting ones are gone after christmas. I see some of 'em around. They tend to be doing well.

Thing is, a lot of courses offer a lot of scope to avoid the drop out problem. I.e. you'll have flexibility to change out of what you thought you were going to do.

I suppose modularisation will also help in that regard?

But yeah, some people just find college isn't for them... they payit lip service because they think that's what's expected of them, and they can at least say they tried. Myself, I knew college was for me.. it just took me a number of false starts getting the right course :)

P.B.

Advertisement