Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick dog training?

• 12-01-2006 1:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend got a west highland terrier about a month ago.We went through all the pitfalls of getting a pet and I made it clear if she got a dog it would be her dog to look after.Needless to say she now appears to have lost interest completely and what I want to know is this.

Is there a quick and painless way to house train the pup? I have bits and bobs but nothing seems to work.I don't want the pup to be locked in one room all day every day while we are at work but we've a nice place and would rather he didn't destroy it...the chewing I can handle because the poor thing is teething and probably suffering.I'd like him to be able to roam around the house at his leisure but he isn't getting the hang of "NO".I think he has a fair idea he isn't supposed to go inside but I don't know if at 12 weeks he shoul be able to control himself for 8 hours till someone gets home...He is fed in the morning and let out for a run and gets the same and more in the evening.Only problem is I have no idea when I should expect that he is trained.Some days he leaves little gifts eveywhere and some days he does nothing.He is currently restricted to our kitchen.This is probably a long rambling one but hopefully someone can work out what I need to know and give a little feedback.

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

A 12 week old pup isn't going to be able to hold it for 8 hours. They have very little control of their bladders at that age. I doubt a person could hold it for that long! Take him out in the morning and after his meals. If he goes then, tell him how great he is. If you cme home and find he's dirtied, never give out to him then or rub his nose in it, he won't associate dirtying the house with being in trouble. He'll just associate you with getting mad at him for no apparent reason and will become afraid of you. You have to catch him in the act, that's the time for the "NO!!!". In an angry voice (they go by the tone of your voice. You could tell him he's the worst dog in the world but if you say it in a happy voice he's just gonna think you're praising him). If you catch him doing it inside bring him out and when he does it outside then tell him he's great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

At that age a pup can't be expected to hold on for too long, some dogs bladders don't mature until they are 8 months old. However there are ways to tran a pup but it will take time, patience and also you have to allow for accidents. If you prefer you could contact a dog trainer that deals only in humane methods of training and also for general training check out this link, clicker training is fast and effective..as long as your consistent.
    If you are not consistent and change the meothods with a dog you will just confuse them even more. Eg giving out to them for begging and then handing them food 10 mins later from the table.
    Here are two links which should help.

Clickers are avialable with a booklet from www.pet-bliss.com and some pet shops sell them.

http://www.clickertraining.com/home/

http://www.irishanimals.ie/care/behaviour.html

Hope this helps, having a pup in the house can be hard work but in no time you will all of a sudden realise how much they are worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

You might also consider paying a local teenager (or adult who's at home) a tenner or so for taking him out for an hour's walk and pee in the middle of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

cheers for that,

It's good to know that he won't be able to control himself till he is bigger....He is fed in the morning and brought out for a runaround for half an hour before we go to work...I know the little mite is trying his best but now I know it'll take him longer I'll just have to make my peace with the mop!!!

thanks for the tips everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Just to say I bought myself a big galvanised bucket (the olde worlde types) and a good quality string mop (olde worlde type as well) when I got my last dog, if you keep a solution of water and bleach or dettol in the bucket (out of pups reach of course) and then you can have it at the ready for accidents, very handy the string mops are great for soaking up big spillages (handy for when dishwashers leak as well lol).

• Advertisement
Advertisement