Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appearing Money

Options
  • 12-01-2006 1:22am

Hey,

What's meant to happen next with regard to money that just *appears* in an account?! Or there's more paid in than should have been?

Thank you!

(a cliché, but it's actually for a friend of mine!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

A little vague...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

vb7000 wrote:
    Hey,

What's meant to happen next with regard to money that just *appears* in an account?! Or there's more paid in than should have been?

Thank you!

(a cliché, but it's actually for a friend of mine!)

Usually they ask for it back. I got paid double by my employer by mistake and they took it out of my next 2 pay packets.

If its a bank mistake then they will ask for it back once they notice (and they will notice even if its small). As far as i know you are not obliged to give it back though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Gegerty wrote:
    As far as i know you are not obliged to give it back though.

Yes you are. The law is actually very clear, people are able able to make mistakes, and you can't just say 'tough'. Now, the law is entirely unclear on the payback period. For instance, if work had over paid you €20 every week for the last year, they cannot enforce a demand for it to be paid back immediately. Just as they have made an honest mistake overpaying, you had made a honest mistake spending - both sides need to work it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They can just debit your account!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

No they can't just debit your account. This is the problem the BoI faced when they had the problem with the ATM in Wexford.

If you believe the money that has appeared in your account should not be there then you don't need to raise the issue here. You should be straight on the phone to the bank to query it and make the necessary arrangements to return it to the rightful beneficiary.

• Advertisement
Advertisement