Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipping from US - Customs

• 12-01-2006 1:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

I've recently bought a lens on Amazon in the US. I got it delivered to a mate, the next step is getting it shipped here (UK).

What are the changes of me getting caught with customs? Any tips on shipping via FedEx, what is customs like checking products?

For the record, the value of the lens in the UK is £400 and £170($299) in the US.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I can't speak for the UK but assuming things happen similarly to Ireland:

Will FedEx declare it? I don't know - I've never shipped from the US via them. Some US shippers declare everything. If it is stopped you will probably be liable for excise based on that category of goods, plus VAT at the local rate (17.5% in the UK if I remember correctly) plus possibly a charge from the courier/shipper who delivers it you for handling the taxation.

The best thing to find out is what postal markings do shippers ignore for customs purposes in the UK. Typically examples have included 'warranty replacement' among others here but I'm unsure of the UK case. This is probably the best way to avoid taxation. There should be some people on boards who have done this at some stage recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

Cheers. I could also get it shipped to back home, think it might make it easier...

Obviously, I'll get my mate to take out invoices and repack it. I'm not sure to use the gift option since it's $300. Is one wasting their time stating it's not a new item, maybe an item left there on a recent holiday?

Does it make a difference shipping it to be delivered within 48 hours or long haul US mail, does either make a difference for it passing through customs.

The box is small by the way, if that even makes a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

In my experience I've found using the USPS the best option, the likes of Fed-Ex and others are more likely to involve customs at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

USPS Global Express Mail is the best option IMO. Customs generally use the value stated on the package, so if you declare it as $20 then they will not charge you VAT etc. However, if it's lost it's "Tough Luck" as it would only be insured for $200 also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Just get your mate to re-package it, put a note in it saying "Hope you enjoy this present I got you" and you won't be liable for any VAT 'cause its a gift :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

BolBill wrote:
    Just get your mate to re-package it, put a note in it saying "Hope you enjoy this present I got you" and you won't be liable for any VAT 'cause its a gift :)
    Gifts over €45 are liable for duty and VAT.

Advertisement