Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Xda or similiar - what do you think?

• 12-01-2006 2:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

I'm considering going for an XDA 2i ... the main things I want are:

- mobile web browsing over gprs
    - mobile web browsing over wifi
    - "proper" internet browser
    - bluetooth
    - mmc/sd/other expandable memory
    - play video clips ..
    - (I'm sure I'll add more)

Something "reasonably" cheap. (yes, I know the XDA 2i isn't cheap, which is why I look for alternatives). Preferably simfree.

ANY suggestions welcomed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I was also looking at the Nokia 770 tablet... but it doesn't seem to have any spot for a SIM Card? No GPRS sorta takes from it. Am I missing something ?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Me too. i want a mobile and windows combined in 1. what are my options other than XDA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

are there any plans for XDA to go 3g ?? it would be pretty nifty then

yeh, the XDA Exec is due out soon ... it's out on O2 UK ...

3G, slightly less memory, flip over appearance ...

http://www.my-xda.com/xdaexec.html

Proberly gonna be expensive ... I wish O2 would give a timeframe on it's release :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

ciaranfo wrote:

Proberly gonna be expensive ... I wish O2 would give a timeframe on it's release :(

o2 , will not announce the XDA exec for a another few months yet. The XDA IIs has been such a success on the network with the business customers and the highend users that they have no reason to update it to 3g standards , sure they haven;t officially launched 3g yet ! Even though they have teh licence to do so when ever they want. get the XDA IIs the wifi on it makes the machine a incredible piece of work.

• Advertisement

The 2s is too bulky with that slide down keyboard. .. in my opinion.I much prefer the the 2i.

As for the 3G service ... they have launched it for business customers in the form of data cards ... granted, it's hardly great from what I read :)

ciaranfo wrote:
    The 2s is too bulky with that slide down keyboard. .. in my opinion.I much prefer the the 2i.

As for the 3G service ... they have launched it for business customers in the form of data cards ... granted, it's hardly great from what I read :)

Actually, the XDA IIi Is a great device but lacks the WIFI capabilities of the XDA IIs, Believe it or not the IIs is a lot more user friendly it just takes a bit of adjusting to if you have been using the older models but its worth it in the end.

As for the 3g I have stated that they never officially launched it and you will not see a sign or leaflet in the stores about it, the data card is the only way this is been launched at the moment and the BAM / CAM target the appropriate business for them.

Back to the XDA, The 2i hasn’t got WIFI so it rules that out for you?

They have signs up about the 3G data cards at the moment ... some special offer. It's on their website too.

The 2i does have Wifi ...http://www.my-xda.com/comp.html

Beyond the camera, memory and cpu ... they (2i and 2s) are identical in terms of the software and capabilities - are they not ?

ciaranfo wrote:
    They have signs up about the 3G data cards at the moment ... some special offer. It's on their website too.

The 2i does have Wifi ...http://www.my-xda.com/comp.html

Beyond the camera, memory and cpu ... they (2i and 2s) are identical in terms of the software and capabilities - are they not ?

They have no signs up for the 3g in ANY stores that I can guarantee you ;) The reason im saying this is that 3g is not been marketed with a o2 launch just yet.
    You are right about the WIFI, My apologies thought it hadn’t got WIFI on it hence the BIG difference from this and the IIs.

Now im confused :/

Sarge wrote:
    They have no signs up for the 3g in ANY stores that I can guarantee you ;)

You work for O2 or something? I'm sure I've seen the promotion for the 3G data card and the 6230i in stores.

• Advertisement

ciaranfo wrote:
    You work for O2 or something? I'm sure I've seen the promotion for the 3G data card and the 6230i in stores.

There is a promotion with 6230i in stores at the moment i know about that one , free bluetooth headset and only for €29 when you sign on 12 / 18 month contract.

I like too keeping a eye on all networks and their offers and their campaigns and marketing. Just to see where the value is for the customer.

Let's not argue over it... I know I'm right and you know you're right ;)

Any alternatives to the XDAs out there in terms of what I'm looking for?

ciaranfo wrote:
    Let's not argue over it... I know I'm right and you know you're right ;)

I can prove it ;)

Eh why not get a data card for you laptop ?

Sarge wrote:
    I can prove it ;)
    Please do ;)

As for the laptop data card ... . I'd need a new laptop then, this one is low spec. So I'm hoping to get a XDA "type thing" instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

ciaranfo wrote:

Good to hear that its coming out though. Im not sure if I like the way the full keyboard slides out. Its starting to look like that Nokia brick that has been doing the rounds for years and years now.

If, however the new XDA Exec is easy to use and not too big it will be an excellent purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Maskhadov wrote:
    Good to hear that its coming out though. Im not sure if I like the way the full keyboard slides out. Its starting to look like that Nokia brick that has been doing the rounds for years and years now.

If, however the new XDA Exec is easy to use and not too big it will be an excellent purchase.

I have been using the iMate Jasjar (same as Exec) for some months now, it is an excellent product, however I only use it as a PDA and for 3G/GPRS data, not as a phone as I found it too large as a phone, even with a bluetooth headset :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

ciaranfo wrote:

Are you willing to consider non-Windows? If so, have a look at the Nokia N91 or the Sony Ericsson P990i. I am looking at the two of them and the XDA and trying to make up my mind.

Both are 3G, have WiFi, Bluetooth and gprs. The big difference I can see is that the SonyEricsson uses hand-wiriting recognition (like the XDA, but in my experience, better). Also, the SonyEricsson has the Opera web browser - you turn the device on it's side, and you essentially get a form of widescreen.

Oh, and a minor point, both aren't released just yet :) - they are due out this quarter. And, erm, they are probably in the same price bracket as the XDA.

I'm looking at the weight on the XDA Exec and it's about 1/3 heavier then the XDA 2i.... I 2i does seem ideal, but it lacks 3G support.

I'm not familiar with the Nokia or Sony Ericsson devices you mention offhand, but I'll have a quick google later and see.

Windows based devices do seem to have a number of programs out for them, so as much as I hate to say it I feel that might be more usable.

Advertisement