Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused re. NTSC

Options
  • 12-01-2006 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Please help a thoroughly non-technical girl out!

I am looking to buy a multi-region DVD player so I can watch DVDs from the US. There is one available in Argos at the moment for €45 - it's not on the website, but it's an Acoustic Solutions AS8099 (page 817 in the catalogue, if you have it handy!). The only thing is, it says that it requires 'NTSC TV'. Now my TV is a bog-standard Mitsubishi Black Diamond, not flat screen or anything, about two years old. Is it likely to support NTSC, do you think?

Alternatively, can anyone recommend a better cheap multi-region DVD player, or even a cheap Region 2 DVD player that can be EASILY (remember - very non-technical here!) be made multi-region?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 doodles

The DVD player in question gets good reviews for a budget player. Its unusual for a player to require NTSC, most will output US movies in a format called PAL 60 which pretty much all of todays TV's support. You could also check the manual for your TV, it may actually support NTSC anyway, if you can't find the manual there is a good chance of getting it online.

Even the cheapest of DVD players allow you to select the output format *NTSC, PAL) via the menu system.

Failing all that, PowerCity sell a good , cheap Mitsubishi DVD player for around 55 Euro that I know will play NTSC movies without requiring an NTSC TV, and Dunnes Stores sell a "Pulsetron" DVD player for 39 Euro, but its not an especially good player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

To make it easier

Do you have an existing DVD player - why don't you use the codes to change it to multi region?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 eirestar

Unfortunately I don't - just gone through a major break-up and the ex got the DVD player, the fecker.

Thanks for the advice though.

Advertisement