Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Is there such a device?

• 12-01-2006 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking for something that can do the following - perhaps the answer is a laptop - trying to see if there is an alternative to a laptop.

1. MS Office docs
    2. Email (Outlook XP or similar)
    3. Putty / SSH / Telnet
    4. Serial or some form of USB to serial interface
    5. Ethernet connectivity or similar ....
    6. Half decent Keyboard or similar ....

If it can phone - all the better / more interesting.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Maybe a windows mobile device. HTC are the main producers of the hardware of miscrsoft mobile devices and distribute them to providers who release them under thier own names eg imate, qtek, o2, t-mobile, vodofone, etc
    The HTC galaxy might interest you, imate released it as the jasjar.
    Or if you are looking for something more compact then the imate k-jam, can't remember what the HTC model name is for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Thanks,

One of my mates in South Africa has an Imate - looked pretty decent. Cant remeber exactly the model he has. Is something like ETH connectivity or USB an option with these (cant remeber seeing anything like that)

All also do some googling ....

Thanks

Here is the spec for the jasjar:
    http://www.imate.com/t-JASJAR_technical.aspx

Haven't used these so can't comment. I'm waiting for the imate jamin to be released. I want something more portable and keyboard is not an issue for me... should be soon :D

Oh yes - seen the Jasjar - expensive enough though ...

best place to get/buy one in Ireland?

No idea, not living in Ireland at the moment. Expansys seem to be the main dealers but I find them too expensive. If you are out of contract on your mobile you could get a subsidised model with vodafone or o2. That would be the cheapest way of getting it.
    O2 have it as the XDA exec and vodafone have it as the VPA IV. Same hardware, might be a little different with the software for their own services.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

I used a xda 2i. It sounds like the ideal device for you. It also has a blacberry patch so it can be used as a fully functional blacberry as well

jester77 wrote:
    No idea, not living in Ireland at the moment. Expansys seem to be the main dealers but I find them too expensive. If you are out of contract on your mobile you could get a subsidised model with vodafone or o2. That would be the cheapest way of getting it.
    O2 have it as the XDA exec and vodafone have it as the VPA IV. Same hardware, might be a little different with the software for their own services.

Dont see it listed on O2 page anywhere ...

starn - ill check it out - thanks

Chaz wrote:
    Dont see it listed on O2 page anywhere ...

starn - ill check it out - thanks

Must not be released. They are usually slow to release new models, but that is the model it will be released as - XDA Exec. Try a google for it, might be some info about a release date somewhere.

Check out this site about the O2 range:
    http://www.my-xda.com/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Vodafone and O2 have released the device in other territories not in Ireland (as yet) - we're usually the last to get these kind of devices offered by the Operators (if we get them at all!)

if you need/want the device quicker (but more expensive) you can get it SIM free from the likes of i-mate or Qtek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Chaz wrote:
    Hi,

Looking for something that can do the following - perhaps the answer is a laptop - trying to see if there is an alternative to a laptop...

Thoughts?

have you looked at the OQO
    http://www.oqo.com/hardware/basics/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I love the Oqo, I mean I would love it if I had 2 grand lying around. :(
    Whats the video output on it by the way?
    I'm thinking: External HD in the USB, S-Video into my TV...

Advertisement