Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this Dishonest ?

• 12-01-2006 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

cancelled

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Well ye it is dishonest.The fact you asked the question shows it is.And you're aware of this.
    The fact you're asking the question means it must be on your conscience.So depending on how that holds up you'll probably continue to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Yep cancel your broadband. And while you're at it cancel your TV license too. Buy a pair of binoculars and watch your neighbours tv across the way. Get rid of ur hifi too and use a glass to hear the cd's that your neighbour has bought.

I mean, why should you pay for anything when you can freeload off others?

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MarinoMark

God, We are all so pc correct here today, I asked for feedback and I got it. If I sit on the bench nearest the main entrance to st stephens green park I get great reception too. Shall I desist in this lunchtime behavior also. It feels good to be among 'saints'. Quick Q, Do any of you 'purists' abuse your employers BB connection, download stuff, Put it on your usb stick in your pocket and feck off home...Probably not..I am a sinner, Pray for me..Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

MarinoMark wrote:
    Do any of you 'purists' abuse your employers BB connection, download stuff, Put it on your usb stick in your pocket and feck off home...

Nope! That's what I use my broadband at home for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Suppose you run up a bill for a neighbour by exceeding or causing him to unknowingly exceed his download cap?
    Would you consider that wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

That applies to the UK. I don't think there is any such legislation here.

In my opinion, if they haven't even tried to prevent other access, they really can't get in a huff. Also, if they are stupid enough not to put some protection on it, chances of them reaching their monthly cap is slim, so you're not really doing anything against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

And while you're at it cancel your TV license too.

I presume everybody pays their tv licence too eh? :D

But yeah its a bit cheeky to be using somebody elses broadband, unless you're out and about and suddenly find the need to check your email, and there's an unsecured network handy....

I suppose its a little bit like if you're in a shop and you just want to check a review for an album or something in a music magazine. You don't pay for the magazine but you have a quick read anyway. But you probably shouldn't do it every day!

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

To be honest it sounds like you're just wasting your money anyway - paying them but not using your own connection. Might as well just set up your modem and everyone'll be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

MarinoMark wrote:
    God, We are all so pc correct here today, I asked for feedback and I got it. If I sit on the bench nearest the main entrance to st stephens green park I get great reception too. Shall I desist in this lunchtime behavior also. It feels good to be among 'saints'. Quick Q, Do any of you 'purists' abuse your employers BB connection, download stuff, Put it on your usb stick in your pocket and feck off home...Probably not..I am a sinner, Pray for me..Regards

Either relax or make sense
    You posed the question.You were going to get two possible responses from people;
    go on dude.leach it ya mad thing
    or
    eh don't leach it.

So why are you getting so ****ty when you got one of the only two possible replies?
    Why ask the question at all knowing you would get at the very least one reply like that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭alantc

Go ahead and do it. They won't even notice and you won't be costing them anything. Don't forget to set p2p to only come on at night time though... or maybe up to 5pm, so they have a decent connection whenever they're at home. You should be able to set up port forwarding easily, the eircom routers ahve no passwords on them, if there is a password a good guess would be "admin".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Can you identify any of the neighbours? I'm sure they wouldn't mind a light user like you using their connection, maybe in return for securing their AP/network, or something like that?

If not, would your usage be under 20hours a month? If so, consider timed broadband (which is cheaper).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

snappieT wrote:
    That applies to the UK. I don't think there is any such legislation here.

In my opinion, if they haven't even tried to prevent other access, they really can't get in a huff. Also, if they are stupid enough not to put some protection on it, chances of them reaching their monthly cap is slim, so you're not really doing anything against them.

This could be dealt with "normal" thieft laws. He is stealing part of the other hosueholders internet service, possibibily up to 17 seperate charges of theift, could mount to to a lot of jail time with consecutive sentences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

This could be dealt with "normal" thieft laws. He is stealing part of the other hosueholders internet service, possibibily up to 17 seperate charges of theift, could mount to to a lot of jail time with consecutive sentences.
    Sad thing is, it would be very difficult to find out it was him.

As I said, he has the modem and the connection there, and methinks it's more a case of laziness (he said himself he couldn't be bothered).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

OP got his/ her answer. Case, and thread, closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement