Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Standard Regarding Dead Pixels

• 12-01-2006 12:45pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just got this quote from the Komplette web page
    All LCD displays adhere to the ISO 13406-2 standard with regard to pixel faults.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=308573&cks=PRL

Does any one know anything about this ISO? I post here cause so many people have had problems with dead pixels on there PSP and I was wondering what it is all about it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

for a replacement good from most stores or directly from sony itself the "dead pixel" problem must contain 10 closely clustered dead pixels or you wont get a replacement product, thats an offical release from sony, im not bothering finding the link again trust me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The I stands for International and not Irish, but heres a link to the docs:

http://www.iso.org/iso/en/CatalogueDetailPage.CatalogueDetail?CSNUMBER=25670

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

robinph wrote:
    The I stands for International and not Irish, but heres a link to the docs:

http://www.iso.org/iso/en/CatalogueDetailPage.CatalogueDetail?CSNUMBER=25670

Sorry I was getting it mixed up with the Irish Standards as in IS EN 206.

I know sony will only take it back if it has 10 pixels. Just thought there might be something else covering it in the ISO standard

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Does any one know how many pixels need to dead on the PSP, according to the ISO standards, before the console can classed as faulty.

The ISO standards in the eyes of the law would outrank any store or Sony policy. That is of course if stores and Sony aren’t being kind and replacing consoles which aren’t actually legally faulty. However, if there were another recognised standard pertaining to screens similar to the PSP it would confuse matters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,748 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think it's 3 or less if you can make a case for them obscuring the playing/viewing area.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I think it's 3 or less if you can make a case for them obscuring the playing/viewing area.

3 or less. So I have had one dead pixel since day one but was told that I need to have 10 or more. Its in the center my psp. Does that mean I can take it back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

http://www.tomshardware.com/2003/03/19/penalty/page6.html

It's about the ISO standard regarding LCD monitors but I assume its the same thing.

From the article:
    Sony is one of the few exceptions: they follow the ISO standard, they understand it and they apply it.

That standard is about 4 pixels for a 15" screen and 6 for a 17"(it varies slightly because of different types of dead pixels)

Presumably a screen as small as the PSP would have to have far less than this then, but maybe it comes under a different standard I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

steviec wrote:
    That standard is about 4 pixels for a 15" screen and 6 for a 17"(it varies slightly because of different types of dead pixels)

Presumably a screen as small as the PSP would have to have far less than this then, but maybe it comes under a different standard I don't know.
    I reckon it would be more logically determined by the resolution of the screen rather than the physical size. Not sure how the PSP screen compares to a monitor res wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

PSP is much much lower res. It's 480 X something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

kearnsr wrote:
    3 or less. So I have had one dead pixel since day one but was told that I need to have 10 or more. Its in the center my psp. Does that mean I can take it back!

If it causing a distraction or interferes in any way with your playing experience then they will replace the PSP/Refurbish your old one and send it back to ya :)

Contact Sony for more info (Again, it must be under the 1 year warranty :p)

• Advertisement

I know alot of people had problems with dead pixels so I might be handy of people have problems in the future they have something to refer to.

Advertisement