Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Service Providers?!?

Options
  • 12-01-2006 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

Just wondering what people are doing for Internet Access?

Due to the delays from Eircom i've decided to go with Irishbroadband.
    And use Skype fo the time being

I know i know...intermittent comes to mind, but i only have to put up with it for 1 year.

I've spoken you Irishbroadband and they have a new transmitter/relay on Bray Head which covers Charlesland. Their web site states otherwise but that apparently will be updated soon.

SMART Telecom are in court with Eircom, they say it's to gain access. I've also heard that they aren’t getting access due to a lack of paying their bills!?!

I've called pretty much every ISP in Ireland and all of them who use the phone line are waiting for Eircom to allow access to the exchange.

The only wireless ISP i've spoken to who service Charlesland is Irishbroadband.

Of course this is only what I’ve heard…… so don’t crucify me if I’ve missed something

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭lastsaturday

yeah, i'd like to go with a telephone based broadband as well, only because i've spent a lot already on adsl wireless routers, etc..

Ru, are eircom stopping Smart because Smart haven;t paid their bills to Eircom? that's bad..

utv are still the best deal as far as i know. free calls on weekends and after 6pm evenings, plus the low contention ratio..

hopefully eircom will get sorted out sooner rather than later..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'm with BT in charlesland - quite a good deal if you take their line rental as well (though you still have to order the line through eircom initially)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

are eircom stopping Smart because Smart haven;t paid their bills to Eircom?

So i've heard,
    however i've spoken to two other companies who are waiting for Eircom to allow acces to the excange, this is what Smart Teleccom are saying to their potential customer. However i'd imagine Smart are using this as a cover for being broke/stingy/refusing to pay........

I've spoken to Eircom AGAIN and they are AGAIN going to check with the engineers to find out whats the delay!?!
    This is the third and last time i've made the same call.
    I'm going to go for Skype and wait and see what happens. Eircom can't block access to the lines forever and the sooner other companies come in to Charlesland the sooner we will have competitive pricing.

However today i was given 31st of January for my block to be connected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

I switched to Imagine.ie Got way from Eircom. Broadband is €20 a month always on or €10 for 20hrs pm. Got calls to UK for 5p per minute. Not sure what value on local calls but cheaper thatn Eircom guaranteed. I've had no problems with Imagine really.

Just got a Netgear wireless router and use this laptop all over the house...I'm in the shed at the moment....now I'm up on the wall...wey heyyy! Yeah that's me waving :p

I use Skype for a lot of calls €1 per hour! to practically any landline globally and a very clear reception. FREE calls from computer for Skype users (there are no catches)

Does Irish Broadband work?

Marcais wrote:
    Does Irish Broadband work?

I'll know in a couple of weeks!!

What speeds are you getting?

• Advertisement

Ru wrote:
    I'll know in a couple of weeks!!

What speeds are you getting?

100Mbps Imagine...is that what you mean, or the 54.0 Mbps on my wireless laptop (seems quick enough)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Thats just your connection to your router.

You can check out your internet speed at http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed/

SofaKing wrote:

You can check out your internet speed at [url="http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed/]http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed/[/url]

Cheers, but the link doesn't work?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Sorry. Fixed it.

SofaKing wrote:

You can check out your internet speed at http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed/

Here's my results...should I expect better? I'm with Imagine Broadband

Mbps.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

The irish broadband connection is working just fine down in greystones...

Normally steady around 200kbs down, on a busy night might go down to about 100kbs. Have had it since the beginning of April last year and I'm more than happy with it.

In Charlesland Wood btw...

BTW... UL speeds are about 200-300kbs normal times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

Does anyone use NTL broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Manny7 wrote:
    Does anyone use NTL broadband?

I don't think the NTL set-up in Charlesland allows for broadband - I think Ru checked this out already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

Ru wrote:
    Just wondering what people are doing for Internet Access?

Due to the delays from Eircom i've decided to go with Irishbroadband.
    And use Skype fo the time being

I know i know...intermittent comes to mind, but i only have to put up with it for 1 year.

I've spoken you Irishbroadband and they have a new transmitter/relay on Bray Head which covers Charlesland. Their web site states otherwise but that apparently will be updated soon.

SMART Telecom are in court with Eircom, they say it's to gain access. I've also heard that they aren’t getting access due to a lack of paying their bills!?!

I've called pretty much every ISP in Ireland and all of them who use the phone line are waiting for Eircom to allow access to the exchange.

The only wireless ISP i've spoken to who service Charlesland is Irishbroadband.

Of course this is only what I’ve heard…… so don’t crucify me if I’ve missed something

BE CAREFFUL!! Skype is useless when you try to use it in tandem with Satellite broadband- at least thats what conventional wisdom says. Skype relies on sending info to the internet [uploading] almost as much as it relies on receiving information from the net [downloading] and as far as I know the upload speeds for satellite are poor. Skype needs to be able to send information at 33kbs at a minimum. Advertised upload speeds of 126, 256 and 512 are usually far lower than that. Just something to think about. As a matter of interest can you see Downs Hill in the Willow Grove [you'd be surprised] from your appartment/house? Downs Hill is the hill which forms the left handed side of the Glen of the Downs as you drive NORTH thru the Glen. I ask as Regional Broadband are busy setting up a Broadband system to serve Kilpedder. Hope this helps.

They'd have to be. Otherwise Skype is useless. Skype is one of the few popular internet based utilities that relies almost as much in UL as it does on DL. I didn't think of things in this way until someone pointed it out to me. Downloading movies and music is one thing- almost 1 way [DL], but Skype is a different class of an animal.

Marcais wrote:
    Here's my results...should I expect better? I'm with Imagine Broadband

Mbps.JPG

Interestingly, i have the same UL speed, but I'm bang on T1 for DL.
    . The test is quoting my download speed at 1.74MBps and UL is a measly 205kbps. Good link.

IT Loser wrote:
    Interestingly, i have the same UL speed, but I'm bang on T1 for DL.
    . The test is quoting my download speed at 1.74MBps and UL is a measly 205kbps. Good link.

I have Irishbroadband installing tommorrow

I actually decided against SKYPE in the end because my setup is complicated enough. I've gone network mad and it's unstable enought without throwing in more toys
    Eircom rang me yesterday to tell me that my phone was connected anyway so the problem is solved. They didn't need any access because the points were already installed.
    Handy if you work a 9-5

Ru

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

I've BT installed with 3MB Download and 384Kbp upload. Works very well with my 108MB Netgear wireless router. I think the last firmware upgrade for my router sorted out alot of problems I was having problems with it like having to reboot all the time. But my main reason posting is that I got a phone call from magnet and they say they can install broadband (2MB only) now! Here is there website www.magnet.ie

Also they told me they will be able to provide Charlesland with TV\Phone access and up to 8MB broadband in 12 months - happy days!!

keith123 wrote:
    I've BT installed with 3MB Download and 384Kbp upload. Works very well with my 108MB Netgear wireless router. I think the last firmware upgrade for my router sorted out alot of problems I was having problems with it like having to reboot all the time. But my main reason posting is that I got a phone call from magnet and they say they can install broadband (2MB only) now! Here is there website www.magnet.ie

Also they told me they will be able to provide Charlesland with TV\Phone access and up to 8MB broadband in 12 months - happy days!!

Sounds good man. I am perservering with the people at Regional Broadband who are offering a 2Mb Down and 1 meg up system. Signal is beamed from Downs Hill and you pick it up and drop it into your house via a mini receiver. It ultimately ends in an ethernet cable- the minute I get it I'll be connecting it to a wireless router- I was wondering if you had any recommended ones. Hopefully going for the 2 meg alternative will allow me to maintain a healthy signal around the house. I am of the opinion [maybe ill-informed] that these signals weaken as you send them over a distance, and weaken futher when funnelled through a wireless router. Therefore taking the 2 meg option should alleviate it. I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

The one I have is DG834GT and with the latest firmware seems to be fine.
    I do know alot of friends of mine have 3Com routers and these work really well also. It's up to you really. There is a new router out that has multiple signals built into the router which gives more reliable range - its called Range Max WPN824 - check the web site www.netgear.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

IT Loser wrote:
    I am of the opinion [maybe ill-informed] that these signals weaken as you send them over a distance, and weaken futher when funnelled through a wireless router. Therefore taking the 2 meg option should alleviate it. I hope.

wireless networks generally operate at 11mb or 54 mb and you'll get the full bandwidth provided your signal isn't too weak.

so with 2mb broadband connected to a wireless router you should still get 2mb.

Advertisement