Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quote for Tiling Job. Reasonable

Options
  • 12-01-2006 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Got a quote to :

Remove old tiles from 3 walls of a kitchen (5-6 sq yards), fill in holes in plasterboard (some areas in bad condition), and re-tile (once walls are dry).
    Also remove old tiles and retile front step (small step, small job).

Euro 480 plus materials 50 quid.

2-3 days job he says, and I reckon at least 3.
    Reasonable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

not really... 23 sq yds tiled for 300 euro plus extras is what i paid

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

Could you not at least take the old tiles off yourself? Easy job, would prob save you a few bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

Do you know you can retile over old tiles?This can be done once.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Suppose I could try take em off. Dont think thats the big expense though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

get a lump hammer and a bolster chisel and you'll have the tiles off in an hour. how bad is the wall - could you patch it up yourself using bonding?

Having all that done will mean that the tiler only has to put on the new tiles, and gives you more transparency on what you are paying for.

€20 per sq yd is the going rate, though through contacts you can often get that down to €15. blahblah's works out at €13 per square yard and is an unusually good deal.

I wouldn't pay over €300 including materials for this job as it would then amount to 7 sq yds of tiling - when you start adding on these little crappy bits of work the tiler doesnt want to do itll cost you.

• Advertisement

frank its a mate thats doing it hence the price hehe

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

garlad wrote:
    Remove old tiles from 3 walls of a kitchen (5-6 sq yards), fill in holes in plasterboard (some areas in bad condition), and re-tile (once walls are dry).
    Also remove old tiles and retile front step (small step, small job).

Euro 480 plus materials 50 quid.

2-3 days job he says, and I reckon at least 3.
    Reasonable?

somebody saw you coming!! :eek:

I got my kitchen done 6 months ago for less than €200, for the same size area as you are getting done.
    If you are in the dublin/meath area, send me a PM and I'll give you the phone number of the tiler that did the job for me.

Was my wife that got the quote, and the problem is the tiler is her friends brother. Kinda awkward now, know what I mean?

ye garl i know what you mean but you still need to talk to this chap and come to a new price with him. maybe he was just guessing a ball park figure.

I'll have a word with him alright.
    Cheers for advice guys

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

garlad wrote:
    Was my wife that got the quote, and the problem is the tiler is her friends brother. Kinda awkward now, know what I mean?
    `

don't care who he is, that's taking the piss and just because he's her friends brother doesn't mean you should pay double what a stranger would charge you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 chichograsso

At the risk of being attackeed and savagely beaten - we are tiling company who work in Ireland, Italy and UK. Our main market is domestic tiling. We charge a basic rate of 20 Euro per sq. mt to out new tiles on. This can be about 20 percent less if its a large area to be tiled with few cuts to be done and about 20 percent more of you buy individual mosiac tiles.

To do 6-7 metres removing the old material and repair the walls, then apply the new materials you would be looking at :

Remove material x 7 yards = 70.00
    Repair walls (hard to say but..) 30.00
    fit new tiles x 7 yards 140.00
    Front step 60.00

Total 265.00

You would need to supply the materials as we don't do that, but I think 480.00 is a bit excessive based on the information you have supplied, plus 3 days? for 6-7 yards and a front step? Seems like a slow pace should be maximum 1 to 1 and a half days, half a day prep and a day to lay.

You might want to take a look at that price and tell your wife that she needs to find nicer mates! (j/k)

Regards

Ronan
    www.dialatiler.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

Seems very good.Do ye have tilers in the cork area or is it only dublin?

regards kieran

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

At the risk of being attackeed and savagely beaten - we are tiling company who work in Ireland, Italy and UK. Our main market is domestic tiling. We charge a basic rate of 20 Euro per sq. mt to out new tiles on. This can be about 20 percent less if its a large area to be tiled with few cuts to be done and about 20 percent more of you buy individual mosiac tiles.

To do 6-7 metres removing the old material and repair the walls, then apply the new materials you would be looking at :

Remove material x 7 yards = 70.00
    Repair walls (hard to say but..) 30.00
    fit new tiles x 7 yards 140.00
    Front step 60.00

Total 265.00

You would need to supply the materials as we don't do that, but I think 480.00 is a bit excessive based on the information you have supplied, plus 3 days? for 6-7 yards and a front step? Seems like a slow pace should be maximum 1 to 1 and a half days, half a day prep and a day to lay.

You might want to take a look at that price and tell your wife that she needs to find nicer mates! (j/k)

Regards

Ronan
    www.dialatiler.com

The price of 20 € per sq meter seems reasonable.
    I presume the lads that work for you are subcontractors. Can you provide a list of jobs they have done - can one see their work (besiide the images on the web site)?

chichograsso,
    Have this guy pencilled in for the 1st Feb, but would you fancy coming out and giving me a quote?

Advertisement